PDA

View Full Version : Loose MOE handguards

clcolin81
03-28-2011, 12:31 PM
So I finished up my first AR build a little while ago, and I noticed that the MOE Mid-length handguard has a little "wobble". The delta ring seems to be fine, but when I checked at the handguard cap (by the front sight), the cap itself seemed to be sliding around. My upper is from BCM, and I bought it assembled, without handguards. They used a triangle type handguard cap, rather than the round ones, but it still works with the MOE handguards. Any thoughts?

tomd1584
03-28-2011, 12:41 PM
its not a free float rail- you cant expect it to be rock solid. They are a viable replacement to the standard handguards that give you better rail attachment locations.

thrillhouse700
03-28-2011, 1:22 PM
Mines have an ever so slight rock to them, not a big deal.

loosewreck
03-28-2011, 2:01 PM
Some electrical tape or black duct tape over the tongues that engage the delta ring may tighten it up. Its worked for me on an older build, I just layered black duct tape until they were nice and tight.

clcolin81
03-28-2011, 2:42 PM
The problem isn't at the delta ring. It's at the cap. I know it's not going to be rock solid like a free-float, but it's my first AR, so I'm not really sure if this is more than the normal "rocking" but it seems a little sloppy to me.

When I remove the handguards and grab the handguard cap (sandwiched between the front sight base and the barell) I can actually slide it up and down, and rotate it side to side until it hits the gas tube. Not sure if I'm beign clear enough. I can maybe take some pictures when I get home.

Laser Sailor
03-28-2011, 2:43 PM
Either way the electrical tape at the rear end tongues will fix that wobble in a jiffy. I have my MOE foregrip jury rigged this way.

Rock_Islander
03-28-2011, 4:08 PM
It's probably because you have the triangular cap that it wasn't designed for.

But if you have rotational wobble or movement, you can use aluminum foil, folded into little tiny strips and slip them into the rear and inner portion of the handguards that "notch" into your barrel nut grooves. That's what I did, and two months later? No wobble. Airtight fit with my MOE handguard. Aluminum foil is thin enough to fold into the desired thickness, and once folded it's strength is enough to solidly close any gaps you may have. Just make sure you use "enough" and not too "little" aluminum foil. But use too much, and you won't be able to get your handguards back on and slip that delta ring back forward to lock em' in.

Hope this helps ya

R.I.

biloutkast
03-28-2011, 4:12 PM
Either way the electrical tape at the rear end tongues will fix that wobble in a jiffy. I have my MOE foregrip jury rigged this way.

x2. Worked for me.

Darthbauer
03-28-2011, 4:16 PM
It's probably because you have the triangular cap that it wasn't designed for.

The new style MOE handguards are designed to work with both the triangle cap and the round. My MOE is on a triangle cap and doesn't move at all.

Kodemonkey
03-28-2011, 4:18 PM
I just use some epoxy and it stays put.

j/k

Mine does it too on a stock M&P 15 factory build. It kind of bugs me - I might try the aluminum foil trick.

clcolin81
03-28-2011, 6:39 PM
Here's two youtube clips I just uploaded. As you can see, the HG stays put to the cap really well. It's the cap that moves around. When the HG is installed, movement is limited to up & down, but removed, the cap moves all over the place. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKX9s4UHxyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7PsVntudc

Vladimir
03-28-2011, 7:10 PM
strange, my handguards arent rock solid, but they wiggle very, very slightly clockwise and counter clockwise, but not up and down. its almost as if the handguard cap near the FSB was made with too much space.

edit: Just checked my AR with standard M4 handguards, seems to wiggle when they are removed, but when inserted it holds tight. I would contact the manufacturer about it, seems like a cosmetic issue.

DirectDrive
03-28-2011, 7:14 PM
I'm interested in the type of upper this is....perhaps a BCM, LMT, DD, KAC or Noveske?
In his first post he said it was a BCM.

If the handguard end cap is not fitting tightly on the barrel, the handguard cannot be expected to be tight.

Airrixd
03-28-2011, 7:14 PM
strange, my handguards arent rock solid, but the wiggle very, very slightly clockwise and counter clockwise, but not up and down.

Mine was the same way. I thought it was my delta ring at first but I took Rock_islander and loosewreck idea about using tape and/or foil. It worked! I used electrical tape on the "rear and inner portion of the handguards that "notch" into your barrel nut grooves." The electrical tape filled in the gaps I had and now my MOE guard is super tight. No wiggles!

Thanks CGN!

clcolin81
03-28-2011, 7:27 PM
This being my first AR, and I'm the first among my circle to get one, I don't really have anything to compare to. I expected a little wiggle from a non-freefloat, so I'm just wondering, does this look excessive? Should I replace the cap with one that will fit better? Is it difficult removing the FS? It's been about 2 months since I got the upper from BCM.

loosewreck
03-28-2011, 9:04 PM
Yes it looks excessive.

Shoot BCM an email. I believe they have a lifetime warranty on their firearms.

Or you can replace the handguard cap yourself or by a local gunsmith if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

dfletcher
03-28-2011, 9:31 PM
I took 4 window glazing points and flattened them out, epoxied them at 11, 1, 5 & 7 on the inside of the of the retaining plate. It removed all the little wiggle in mine.

AlliedArmory
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Being a plastic handguard rather than a free float rail system, it will have some wiggle to it. If it really bothers you, try one of the above methods.

I have owned 2 myself and 1 had a lot of wiggle and the other had very little.

Cato
03-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Magpul stuff looks really cool but doesn't match the fit of the standard furniture.

miguel
03-29-2011, 12:26 AM
my bcm triangle handguard (by the front sight) retainer wiggled quite a bit as well. would love to hear more on this. i just shoved some brittle razor pieces in as shims that broke clean at flat contct points. is clean now. used the paint scraper kind. cant even tell with handguards removed.