PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from my dad

chaseface
03-28-2011, 12:14 PM
So my dad lives in Reno and he is coming to visit me in northern California in a month or so. So i've got two questions?

1. Can he bring his rifles and handguns into the state to go shooting with me?

2. He has an old lever action rifle that he wants to give to me. What is the proper protocol for doing this?

I've heard that there is some paperwork you can send in to the govt. to skip an FFL for parent to sibling transfers but I'm not sure on the legality of it since its now interstate.

Do we need to go through an FFL here in California?

And if thats the case, does he need to ship it to the FFL or can he just bring it with him and we go stop by my local FFL?

OK I lied, it was more than two questions.

Librarian
03-28-2011, 1:00 PM
So my dad lives in Reno and he is coming to visit me in northern California in a month or so. So i've got two questions?

1. Can he bring his rifles and handguns into the state to go shooting with me?

2. He has an old lever action rifle that he wants to give to me. What is the proper protocol for doing this?

I've heard that there is some paperwork you can send in to the govt. to skip an FFL for parent to sibling transfers but I'm not sure on the legality of it since its now interstate.

Do we need to go through an FFL here in California?

And if thats the case, does he need to ship it to the FFL or can he just bring it with him and we go stop by my local FFL?

OK I lied, it was more than two questions.

Presuming no weapons CA thinks would be 'assault weapons', yes, he can bring his guns.

Intrafamilial transfer works cleanly only between CA residents; since Dad is from NV and you live in CA, that's an interstate transfer, and must go through a CA FFL. Yes, he can take the rifle to your favorite FFL and arrange the transfer there; FFL can charge whatever he thinks is right, so call ahead to find a transfer fee you're happy with.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki articles on

Intrafamilial transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

chaseface
03-28-2011, 1:07 PM
Thanks Librarian, much appreciated

Glock22Fan
03-28-2011, 1:11 PM
Just be sure he doesn't bring any magazines holding more than ten rounds.

swhatb
03-28-2011, 8:19 PM
Does intra family transfers work from son to parent?

ke6guj
03-28-2011, 8:22 PM
Does intra family transfers work from son to parent?

yes, grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, in either direction. remember that both parties must be CA residents.