PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara CCW Policy

Zomgie
03-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Ok, so I totally ripped off PsychGuy274, but it was with his permission so :p

Santa Barbara County does not publish their CCW policy online, but Calguns does (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/130-santa-barbara). Looking through it, I noticed similar violations to what PsychGuy did and so I sent off a letter over the weekend, totally stealing his template.

Hello,

I have been reviewing the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Policy Manual, specifically Policy 218 (Concealed Weapon License) and I recently noticed a problem. The problem is in relation to the requirements set forth by the department.

Under section 218.2 "Qualified Applicants", a list of requirements an applicant must complete is given. The problem is specifically with requirement (i).

(i) Provide at least three (3) letters of character reference.

Based on reading the Penal Code (specifically sections 12050-12054) I noticed that requiring an applicant to supply 'character references' is actually an illegal requirement.

12051(a)(3)(C) of the California Penal Code states, "An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional application or form for a license, or to provide any information other than that necessary to complete the standard application form described in subparagraph (A), except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form."

Additionally, 12054(d) of the California Penal Code states, "Except as authorized pursuant to subdivisions (a), (b), and (c), no requirement, charge, assessment, fee, or condition that requires the payment of any additional funds by the applicant may be imposed by any licensing authority as a condition of the application for a license."

I strongly recommend that you read through this document -> http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/downloads/documents/CGF_Civilian_CCW_Guide.pdf for further information on California's CCW issuance laws.

I would appreciate a return email when this matter has been taken care of.

Thank you very much for your time,

Concerned Citizen

This email was addressed to pio@sbsheriff.org - their "Public Information" email. I couldn't find anything for admin, sheriff or other staff.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email back today!

Thank you for taking the time to contact our agency regarding our CCW policy. Upon assuming my current responsibilities in 2009, which includes coordinating CCW applications for Sheriff Brown, I noted the same types of issues regarding the then current SBSO CCW policy and procedures. As result, our CCW policy and procedures were changed in September of 2009.

With regard to your specific point regarding the requirement to submit letters of reference, this requirement was removed from our current policy. Our current instructions includes a recommendation that letters of reference be submitted (they can assist in showing the applicant is of good moral character), but it is not a requirement and applicants are not disqualified if the letters are not present.

For reference, I have attached our current CCW policy and instructions for potential applicants. - Craig

Sergeant Craig Bonner
Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department
Office of Professional Standards
(805) 681-4292

I guess I didn't "own" anybody, but at least I managed to get some previously unknown (to me) forms. Who in CGF can I send these updated forms to? :)

HowardW56
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe the agencies are learning... its easier to reply or adjust than get into a battle...

That doesn't mean that you'll get a CCW, just that their published policy will be in compliance...

Zomgie
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Maybe the agencies are learning... its easier to reply or adjust than get into a battle...

That doesn't mean that you'll get a CCW, just that their published policy will be in compliance...

Right. Unfortunately, there's no way in hell to get a CCW in SB.

jnojr
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I guess I didn't "own" anybody, but at least I managed to get some previously unknown (to me) forms. Who in CGF can I send these updated forms to? :)

How about writing them back and suggesting that they post all of that on their website? Create a page specifically for CCWs, include their policies, forms, etc.

jnojr
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Yup. It's easy for them to make meaningless changes rather than real reform.

So long as 12050 reads the way it does, Sheriffs have de facto absolute discretion for CCW issuance. Some will claim, "No they don't!" That's why I said "de facto"... so long as "good cause" exists in state law but is not defined, there is nothing stopping any Sheriff from deciding that your cause simply isn't "good" enough.

wildhawker
03-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Please email me at bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org.

Zomgie
03-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Sent

Fjold
03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Good job, Zomgie. :notworthy:

CCWFacts
03-28-2011, 6:25 PM
I read through their accepted GC statements. What stood out to me was how many volunteer pilots they have. It seems to me that their aerosquad is the modern equivalent of the sheriff's mounted posse of older days. If you want a CCW in SB, being a private pilot seems to help. I don't know the names of the holders, so it's possible that many of these private pilots also benefit from being wealthy Santa Barbarans; many wealthy people have pilots licenses.

Which Way Out
03-28-2011, 6:44 PM
I read through their accepted GC statements. What stood out to me was how many volunteer pilots they have. It seems to me that their aerosquad is the modern equivalent of the sheriff's mounted posse of older days. If you want a CCW in SB, being a private pilot seems to help. I don't know the names of the holders, so it's possible that many of these private pilots also benefit from being wealthy Santa Barbarans; many wealthy people have pilots licenses.

SBAF

Zomgie
03-28-2011, 8:32 PM
How about writing them back and suggesting that they post all of that on their website? Create a page specifically for CCWs, include their policies, forms, etc.

I sent a follow up email addressing that. We'll see.

GOEX FFF
03-28-2011, 8:51 PM
Ok, so I totally ripped off PsychGuy274, but it was with his permission so :p

Hey, whatever works!

PsychGuy's letter was spot on to begin with. :thumbsup: