PDA

View Full Version : Importing Bare Pistol Frame Legal?

dd03
03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Is it legal to import a bare pistol frame like bare AR frames?

bwiese
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
You can buy it, and your FFL can import it, but he can't transfer it - according to DOJ perception. Calif. gunnie lawyers think otherwise, but rather than push this we'd rather just take down the whole Roster (CGF/SAF is attacking the Roster via the Pena v Cid suit, currently on hold until Nordyke comes thru.)

Except for certain exempt paths (PPTs, inheritances, intrafamily, etc.) handguns must generally be Rostered and have to be transferred assembed and unmodified. There are Roster exemptions for dimensionally compliant single-shot pistols and dimensionally-compliant single-action revolvers, but these are also transferred 'whole' and not on a frame basis.

NotEnufGarage
03-28-2011, 4:09 AM
You can also go the 60% - 80% route and finish the frame yourself, assuming you have the milling equipment to finish it or you're really, reall, really good with a dremel tool.

bwiese
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
The above post is almost irrelevant as most people can't/won't do this.

Also, even in that instance the builder must transition the gun thru 12133PC-exempt dimensionally compliant single-shot pistol (or single-action revolver) status if assembled in CA.

cpiaaq
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Would this also apply to a frame from a c&r roster-exempt pistol like a tokarev? Sounds like its a no-go (not assembled and unmodified).

CHS
03-28-2011, 4:08 PM
Would this also apply to a frame from a c&r roster-exempt pistol like a tokarev? Sounds like its a no-go (not assembled and unmodified).

Hrmm.. I'll let Bwiese give his input on this one, but initially I would say that this is fine.

If it was previously assembled into a tokarev (to use your example), then technically it's no longer a frame/receiver and is now a handgun/pistol.

Since it's a pistol, the roster would apply. However, since it's C&R, it would be exempt so you would transfer it as a C&R tokarev, no matter how many parts it was missing.

The only wrinkle here would be what constitutes C&R. The feds generally take a gun out of C&R status once you've modified it. However, we're not talking about modifications, we're talking about a simple matter of missing parts.

So the question really is: "Is a tokarev frame that was previously built, still a C&R?".

If yes, then you should be able to import and transfer one in CA.
If no, then the roster applies and you're screwed.

rero360
03-28-2011, 4:58 PM
What if the stripped AR lower receiver had the single shot magazine installed? Does it still not fly or does it meet the criteria for meeting the exemption? I would imagine at that point it comes down to the external dimensions but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

CHS
03-28-2011, 5:20 PM
What if the stripped AR lower receiver had the single shot magazine installed? Does it still not fly or does it meet the criteria for meeting the exemption? I would imagine at that point it comes down to the external dimensions but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

How would you meet the 10.5" OAL requirement?
How would you meet the 6" barrel requirement?

Yes, it must be functional in order to be imported under the single-shot exemption.

rero360
03-29-2011, 8:55 AM
How would you meet the 10.5" OAL requirement?
How would you meet the 6" barrel requirement?

Yes, it must be functional in order to be imported under the single-shot exemption.

Oh, ok, Thanks, I couldn't remember the specifics of the single shot exemption, I figured that would have been the case.

Rekrab
03-29-2011, 9:27 AM
Hrmm.. I'll let Bwiese give his input on this one, but initially I would say that this is fine.

If it was previously assembled into a tokarev (to use your example), then technically it's no longer a frame/receiver and is now a handgun/pistol.

Since it's a pistol, the roster would apply. However, since it's C&R, it would be exempt so you would transfer it as a C&R tokarev, no matter how many parts it was missing.

The only wrinkle here would be what constitutes C&R. The feds generally take a gun out of C&R status once you've modified it. However, we're not talking about modifications, we're talking about a simple matter of missing parts.

So the question really is: "Is a tokarev frame that was previously built, still a C&R?".

If yes, then you should be able to import and transfer one in CA.
If no, then the roster applies and you're screwed.

I've been playing it safe on this one and resisting the temptation to try and order a stripped C&R frame. The problem I would see is when trying to DROS the gun they'd still want the barrel length. Still, if legal minds can indicate otherwise, I'd be more than willing to go through the process. I really like the idea of buying up some cheap Tok or Walther frames.