PDA

View Full Version : .22 M&P 15-22 Sights

Slutterz
03-27-2011, 9:51 PM
Hi, Im new here and was wondering what would be a good red or green sight for a .22 Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 . Thank you

eddydb
03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
I pick mine up on Tuesday and also in the market for my first red dot.

So far I am leaning towards the Primary Arms M4 or the Walther PS22.

I am in no real rush. Still in the early stages of my research and want to shoot iron for awhile anyway.

Slutterz
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Yea I want to spend no more than 100$ on one... and I'm trying to do research but have basically just found that red sights are hard to see in the day time. I don't need any magnification since its just a .22 but I don't really like the stock sights. I will prob try looking at primary arms.

Slutterz
03-27-2011, 11:28 PM
ok how about the Bushnell Trophy Scope 1x32 MP Red/Green Dot?

jackandblood
03-27-2011, 11:30 PM
u sure bout that. 22lr can be good up to at least 50 yds and pushing 100. I would need magnification for 40 yds. (for a half dollar sized target)

After use I can recommend the Barska 4x red/green illuminated reticle. I used a boresighter to set it at 30 yds. At my indoor range 20 yds I hit exactly where i point the reticle, aiming slightly lower then reticle center. several months of shooting, just a tiny bit off original boresighter zero. Mostly use with lens caps on. illuminated reticle is actually useful in the dimly lit far end of my indoor range.

Major drawback would be the weight. probably 3+ lbs mounted. also looks kinda silly with a box shaped middle and three rails. The top rail could be useful for micro dot sights zero'd for closer ranges.

I like mine alot. Barska has a similar product that is 2x magnification with unlimited eye relief. That one seems a very versatile choice.

Slutterz
03-28-2011, 12:49 AM
I ended up going with a red/green UTG lden Image for 40$ so I could just upgrade later if its not enough... I like the 1x42 scope which is similar. I also really like the BARSKA 1x30 Electro Sight

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Barska-Electro-Sight-Gun-Riflescope-Rifle-Scope-/270724899019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f087620cb

but in the meantime, I will have something for starters while I do more research. Possibly in the end, I will get something that has the style of the Bushnell and Barsksa look.

santamonica9
03-28-2011, 2:17 AM
cant go wrong with primary arms. only decent knock off of aimpoint without the major co$t BUT first practice and learn to use the iron sights BEFORE any red dot or scope. it will help you learn about all rifle shooting. welcome to the sport :)

eddydb
03-28-2011, 8:29 AM
Wow.....3 hours from question to purchase. You are like me,,,,,when I want something I want it NOW!

Let us know how it works out.

MaHoTex
03-28-2011, 8:40 AM
Yea I want to spend no more than 100$ on one... and I'm trying to do research but have basically just found that red sights are hard to see in the day time. I don't need any magnification since its just a .22 but I don't really like the stock sights. I will prob try looking at primary arms.

Walmart Centerpoint. $50. Flawless for the M&P 15-22.

jackandblood
03-28-2011, 9:28 AM
2x eye relief infinite. practically like the badass factory sights on a g36 or FN2000. http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Tactical-Sight-Rifle-Scope/dp/B001TH4PKY/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1301333120&sr=8-25

Slutterz
03-28-2011, 9:53 PM
http://www.valmontfirearms.co.uk/ESW/Images/barska-1x30-m16-sight.jpg
http://shootersgunaccessories.com/images/bushnell_trophy_scope.jpg

I like these types of scopes and design. I guess I a green/red dot would be ideal, and I like when there are crosshairs as well as dots or more than just 1 dot. Thanks for all the input. Is it ideal to have a scope for short distances and then a nicer,more magnified one for longer distances? Or would it be too much trouble switching back and forth?

DaveFJ80
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm running a Bushnell TRS-25 1x red dot on my 15-22. It works really well in the dark and extreme sunlight (red dot is still completely visible in the sun at all angles and does not wash away). Great sight and I can get a very fast target acquisition with it, but I still shoot more accurately with the MBUS sights on the rifle.

RGERBER
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I love my 2x TrueGlo have it on my MP 15-22 and my Marlin Camp 9 soon to be on my sons M4, best I have ever used
2x and its red and green dot. I have a Ncstar rubber coated Mk3 - 3x9 power on my AR but like the TrueGlo red/green dot way better

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=643707

stitchnicklas
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
UTG.......:hide:

caoboy
03-29-2011, 12:20 PM

Dude, it's Ultimate Tiger Gear for NiNJAs! :D

Everybody buys their first piece of ninja gear when they get a tacticool gun...i have a 30 dollar 1x30 chinese knockoff red dot sight. Never even used it!

Prenub
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I have a m&p 15-22 and wondering the same thing.

I would like to shoot varmints up to 100yards and was considering a 4x scope. Anyone heard of Ncstar? I ve heard good and bad reviews on em and they state on their webpaget that they are the fastest growing optics company.

sdsponger
03-29-2011, 3:44 PM
I have a PS22 on my 15-22. It has been flawless so far and has seen about 3000 rounds.

Slutterz
03-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Is that a no-no?

:nono:

MrPlink
03-30-2011, 3:54 AM
2x eye relief infinite. practically like the badass factory sights on a g36 or FN2000. http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Tactical-Sight-Rifle-Scope/dp/B001TH4PKY/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1301333120&sr=8-25

on paper yeah,,,, in reality... nope

go with the Primary arms.

For under 100bux its like a sore cock, you cant beat it.

MrPlink
03-30-2011, 3:54 AM
Is that a no-no?

:nono:

UTG is mostly airsoft, so they have bad rep here in the real gun world

Slutterz
03-30-2011, 8:57 AM
UTG is mostly airsoft, so they have bad rep here in the real gun world

Oh alrighttt, I didnt even realize air soft guns needed scopes? WOW

BEE
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm leaning towards the Primary Arms M4 myself. Seems like they just belong on the M&P 15-22.

MrPlink
03-30-2011, 2:03 PM
Oh alrighttt, I didnt even realize air soft guns needed scopes? WOW

Im no expert on the matter, but for a lot of them looking like the real thing is of the utmost importance, so having optics is part of that.

jph
03-30-2011, 2:08 PM
i picked up a 30mm truglo red dot for my sig522. haven't taken it out yet. it was pretty cheap, so if it ends up being of sub par quality, then i got what i payed for. if not, it was good deal :)

J.

Slutterz
03-30-2011, 5:57 PM
Im no expert on the matter, but for a lot of them looking like the real thing is of the utmost importance, so having optics is part of that.

Thats strange...i guess..
Well anyway, I guess for it being my 1st scope ever, its alright. I need to go test it out to see the accuracy and what not, but for 40$ its ok for now.

Slutterz
03-31-2011, 1:29 AM
So I went to the range today and had some trouble adjusting it correctly and ended up taking off the front iron sight in order to see clearly. It works ok , but changes depending on the distance. Halfway down the lane,it shot Perfectly on target, but all the way down at the end, I was hitting towards the upper right area when aiming at targets...

'ol shooter
04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Took my m&p out for the first time on Friday. I bought a used like new Bushnell Trophy red/green optic for $ 65 and, boy, does that thing ever shoot! using bulk Winchester, that thing killed skinny water bottles at 50-60 yards like nothing. I have seen this sight advertised anywhere from $149 to $88 on various gun supplies. Unfortunately, since the rings are on the short side, you need to get taller ones or a riser like I did. A one inch rise like I got is pretty good, I think .83" would be better. I sure hope some of the negative things I have read about the Smith don't happen to me, keeping my fingers crossed.

Peter.Steele
04-03-2011, 2:19 PM
I've got the Primary Arms M4 on my 15-22, love it. I've also got their 5x magnifier on a QD mount. It's got a solid, heavy feel to it. I've dropped the rifle a couple times, test falls, that sort of thing. Never had a problem with losing zero on the optics. I've also R&R'd it, and kept zero afterwards.

It's a high-quality optic with a repeatable zero. I'll keep buying PA products.

MrPlink
04-03-2011, 6:44 PM
It works ok , but changes depending on the distance.

welcome to the world of ballistics.

Contrary to what we learn from movies and call of duty, bullets dont have a perfectly straight trajectory. In other words, a perfect zero at one range, doesn't equate to zero at any range.

As far your shots drifting to the right when you extend your range, try making some micro adjustments to shift point of impact to the left, and then see if your initial zero is still true.

Also, what range was your initial zero, and what was the 2nd range you were shooting at?

Slutterz
04-05-2011, 9:45 PM
welcome to the world of ballistics.

Contrary to what we learn from movies and call of duty, bullets dont have a perfectly straight trajectory. In other words, a perfect zero at one range, doesn't equate to zero at any range.

As far your shots drifting to the right when you extend your range, try making some micro adjustments to shift point of impact to the left, and then see if your initial zero is still true.

Also, what range was your initial zero, and what was the 2nd range you were shooting at?

Nice feedback haahh I wish there was someway to have it the same from like 15-50 yards... the initial zero in was at prob 15-20 feet and the 2nd shots were taken from about 30+ yards..? It was at P2K and the target was all the way at the end(if that helps) Im kinda bad at estimating distances.
Maybe 25 feet is a decent amount to zero in at, and just aim higher or lower depending on further or closer shots...?

jackandblood
04-06-2011, 5:30 AM
I like to have my irons zero'd for 10 yds. 4 x scope zero'd 30 yards. so at the far end of indoor range i'll have to use the reticle elevation dots.

Slutterz
04-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I like to have my irons zero'd for 10 yds. 4 x scope zero'd 30 yards. so at the far end of indoor range i'll have to use the reticle elevation dots.

Thats possible... So is your scope raised?

jackandblood
04-07-2011, 4:49 AM
well the scope is mounted on a weaver rail see through adapter on the carry handle/rear sight.

They have see through rail risers should allow you to do that with mp22 sights. The most ideal setup would be scope at natural cheek-stock level and a micro dot zero'd at close range mounted right on top of the scope but that's a rather expensive setup.