PDA

View Full Version : Got bored, So I painted my rifle.

ChrisO
03-27-2011, 8:35 PM
Tired of the same old black rifle so I painted it. I didn't get to crazy and do a bunch of stencils or anything like that just painted it to match the area I spend a lot of time in. Our ranch out in calaveras county. Didn't have any green but thats ok where we are it is pretty consistently brown and tan more so than green. I really like the way it turned out and it's hard to capture how it really looks on a crappy camera :/ .
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_195454.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_195818.jpg

ChrisO
03-27-2011, 8:37 PM
Here it is while I was painting it. My buddies little brother asked me to paint his airsoft m4 as well you can kind of see it in the background.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_190103.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_190114.jpg

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 6:27 PM
No love so far lol

Outta Control
03-28-2011, 6:33 PM
how much for that blue cooler. :D

mlevans66
03-28-2011, 6:35 PM
Good job, killa! Was that the paint you used in the background? Have you shot it yet to see if the paint will come off? I just dyed my parts can call it a day.

Trapper
03-28-2011, 6:40 PM
how much for that blue cooler. :D

Looks like a Coleman "Extreme" cooler, my 36quart keeps food cold for 3-4 days with out adding ice!

d4v0s
03-28-2011, 6:43 PM
I like it, you gotta love that krylon that comes in Camo colors!

I paint alot of airsoft gear for people, i dont know if i could bring myself to paint a real gun though.. What all do you need to mask off?

RONIN.
03-28-2011, 6:52 PM
I like it, you gotta love that krylon that comes in Camo colors!

I paint alot of airsoft gear for people, i dont know if i could bring myself to paint a real gun though.. What all do you need to mask off?

nothing really.. if you have an optic.. you mask off the glass of course, adjustments other then that paint away..

i have been painting my weapons for years.. issued ones, and my personal weapons.. you just close the ejection port door.. and mask anything you don't want paint on, and paint away..

mrvash
03-28-2011, 8:08 PM
What optic and mount is that?

RawImpact
03-28-2011, 8:19 PM
Nice, you remembered to keep the dust cover closed! +1

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 8:43 PM
As far as buying the cooler it's not mine it's a friends backyard lol I used krylon camo colors and some other cheap dollar paint for some spatter effects.

This isn't my first rodeo painting a m4 or ar15 I guess so yeah I remembered to keep the dust cover closed lol. I have painted a few other guns of mine and they have put up to some serious abuse. I had a gun that had alumahyde and I really could not tell MUCH in the way of difference in durability of the paint. Especially since you have to bake that stuff on or at least let it cure for a long period of time. This stuff dries very quick to where you can handle the same day and let it REALLY cure over the next few days.

You don't have to mask off much it really just depends on how picky you are and if you paint the upper and lower in separate portions. I just painted my rifle as well... a whole rifle so I just took out the charging handle stuffed the upper with toilet paper and blocked of the hole for the charging handle. stuffed some toilet paper down the flash suppressor, took off my optic and painted away. When I was done I pushed out the toilet paper with a cleaning rod.

Soades
03-28-2011, 8:51 PM
next, tie some shrubbery to it.

djleisure
03-28-2011, 8:51 PM
Not sure why this thread had a one-star rating, so I gave it a five-star! (second time rating a thread this week - woot!) I think that's a great, practical camo job. It may not be pretty and picture-perfect stenciled, but I'll bet it's actually functional - nice work!

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 8:58 PM
Good job, killa! Was that the paint you used in the background? Have you shot it yet to see if the paint will come off? I just dyed my parts can call it a day.

Common misconception, I have seen so many painted m4's dumping rounds and have never seen paint start coming off. Some blackening around the muzzle. This paint stays on unless it gets deep scratches.

I have found Krylon camo to be every bit as durable as alumahyde II wich I have also used on several guns and followed directions to the T. The nice thing about krylon is it's also a low sheen not a lot of glare and it layers and dries up VERY nicely.

ehair
03-28-2011, 9:00 PM
What rifle!!!! I don't see it cause its so well camouflaged. :) Nicely done.

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 9:05 PM
The aimpoint will remain black and I'll just get a FDE cover for it since I wanted one anyways with the amount of abuse I put on that particular rifle it's probably not a bad idea.

1lowluv
03-28-2011, 9:46 PM
Looks killer! I might paint my next build similar to that!

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 10:06 PM
next, tie some shrubbery to it.
Pretty dry where I'm at not a lot of vegitation besides some mansonita and dry grass. Most the area around the ranch is brown and tan some green here and there like I said. The lines are not real well defined and kind of spattered in so they blend real well.

ChrisO
03-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Not sure why this thread had a one-star rating, so I gave it a five-star! (second time rating a thread this week - woot!) I think that's a great, practical camo job. It may not be pretty and picture-perfect stenciled, but I'll bet it's actually functional - nice work!

Thank you. The camo is VERY functional. Like I said its not my first rodeo camoing a rifle. This was for a pure function build. This is my go to rifle that I keep at hand. It has dispatched a few coyotes and plenty ofother critters. Those yotes pic up a black rifle from distance.

AeroEngi
03-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks pretty good bro, I like it! Good job.

08duramax
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Very nice. That looks killer.

Jel
03-29-2011, 12:36 AM
Nice job. Kinda looks like the new A-TAC pattern coming out soon.

stix213
03-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I like it

SHTFplz
03-29-2011, 1:49 AM
Thank you. The camo is VERY functional. Like I said its not my first rodeo camoing a rifle.

So, I haven't rodeo'd yet, and seeing this gives me some questions. That Krylon Camouflage spray paint sticks, stays, and won't damage the duracoat?

Your rifle looks awesome btw.

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 7:07 AM
So, I haven't rodeo'd yet, and seeing this gives me some questions. That Krylon Camouflage spray paint sticks, stays, and won't damage the duracoat?

Your rifle looks awesome btw.

You should really get out and rodeo then lol. What do you mean damage the duracoat? There would really be no reason to apply both unless maybe you used a duracoat for a base color. The great thing about krylon is,it's fairly durable goes on nicely, dries fast and is easy to touch up if your nit picky. If you have any questions you want to ask you can just PM me.

Jpach
03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
That actually looks really nice. Good job

loosewreck
03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks pretty, pro IMO. Great job man.

The aimpoint will remain black and I'll just get a FDE cover for it since I wanted one anyways with the amount of abuse I put on that particular rifle it's probably not a bad idea.

Maybe it would be possible to dye the rubber cover to match. There's a super long thread on M4carbine on dying if you're interested.

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah I have seen a few threads about dying the covers but I figure I'll just get the full rubber cover in fde scratch up the surface a bit with some sand paper and give it a light mist of brown and it should look good :) . Thanks for the comments guys!

loosewreck
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah I have seen a few threads about dying the covers but I figure I'll just get the full rubber cover in fde scratch up the surface a bit with some sand paper and give it a light mist of brown and it should look good :) . Thanks for the comments guys!

You know you're gonna have to post more pics when you do that, right?:D

tomd1584
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
looks good dude!

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh I will. I have another rifle that I should be doing soon for a buddy of mine that is a sniper on SWAT in our county so that should be fun ;) . My shotgun will also get a touch up since it's about due "thats what I carried around before my ar15 so it got a similar camo treatment" .

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
looks good dude!

Thanks bud!

Dark Mod
03-29-2011, 3:19 PM
Your Ar sucks, this is mine, and its WAY better. Only took me like 10 minutes

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/markdoddridge/airsoft-machine-gun-m83-camo-electric-aeg.jpg

Lrn2paint next time before you embarass yourself again

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 3:32 PM
I've been painting for long time "dude". I painted it this way for a reason not to be some toy its a weapon. I painted a effective key word "effective" camofluage.By the way id love to see that airsoft toy next to my rifle in the area I painted it to match it would stick out like a sore thumb. Also stencils like that give some very defined lines and don't break up the hard lines of a weapon nearly as well.

Kestryll
03-29-2011, 3:42 PM

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/markdoddridge/airsoft-machine-gun-m83-camo-electric-aeg.jpg

What are you, nine years old?
Does Mom know you're on her computer?

Seriously, if all you have to add to a discussion in juvenile snide remarks don't bother posting them, you'll last longer here.

ZX-10R
03-29-2011, 5:31 PM
Nice job...I tried to redo an old AK mag with header paint...NO GO on that. CLP kills it. Worked on my motorcycle's mid pipe...Not on a magazine that gets cleaned. Live and learn. Fabulous job you did.

Sturnovik
03-29-2011, 6:16 PM
Tired of the same old black rifle so I painted it. I didn't get to crazy and do a bunch of stencils or anything like that just painted it to match the area I spend a lot of time in. Our ranch out in calaveras county. Didn't have any green but thats ok where we are it is pretty consistently brown and tan more so than green. I really like the way it turned out and it's hard to capture how it really looks on a crappy camera :/ .
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_195454.jpg
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/IMG_20110327_195818.jpg

nice job. I've been wanting to paint my Saiga badly a woodland/urban or even arctic color but I dont have the guts to. Keep thinking I'll paint something that shouldn't get painted or it'll wear off real quick or just plain look like crap haha. Good job on the rifle man.

NYY
03-29-2011, 6:23 PM
nice Jordans. I see you practiced on you airsoft AR as well?

ChrisO
03-29-2011, 7:28 PM
Thanks. I didn't practice on the airsoft AR my friends little brother wanted me to paint it for him lol. I have painted quite a few guns. No need for practice anymore lol

BlackJack
03-29-2011, 10:05 PM

That's not a real AR right? I see orange color on muzzle which leads me to think it's a toy gun.

ChrisO
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah it's a airsoft gun lol That guy is a troll.

straykiller
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
What are you, nine years old?
Does Mom know you're on her computer?

Seriously, if all you have to add to a discussion in juvenile snide remarks don't bother posting them, you'll last longer here.

all i know is this reply is hella laughs hahah:rofl2:...

and good job on the paint it looks better than anything i could do good job.

OutbreakPLZ
04-05-2011, 6:25 PM

dont feed the troll, hes OBVIOUSLY being retarded and sarcastic.
i lol'ed

blazing
04-05-2011, 6:46 PM
the rifle came out pretty nice. now lets see how tough the pain job is

ChrisO
04-06-2011, 5:15 PM
Been holding up fine so far, with a lot of abuse. Like I said it's nothing new to me, I painted a shotgun that I use the S*** out of about a year ago and it's got a few scratches here and there but the paint holds up well. It's not a finish so I don't expect it to hold up like bluing or a good park job. It does what I expect and is quite durable.

762.DEFENSE
04-06-2011, 5:59 PM
Looks good, nice paint job!

shooterdude
04-06-2011, 6:12 PM

So a little paint comes off....it won't matter. That is what is so cool about this paint job: functional.