PDA

View Full Version : Lessons CA needs to learn from NV

BoonieGhost
03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Im in the process of relocating to the Silver state and I was going over some of their gun laws and I came across this in the "Misc Provisions" section and it really made me realize just how much CA needs to pull its head out of its @$$ and gets its $h!t together! The parts that I really liked were the parts that i put in BOLD.

Enjoy! :)

NEVADA GUN LAWS; MISC PROVISIONS:

No county or city may regulate the transfer, possession, registration, and licensing of firearms and ammunition.
The State of Nevada is the only governmental entity in this state that may commence a lawsuit against a manufacturer or distributor of a firearm or ammunition or a trade association related to firearms or ammunition for damages, abatement or injunctive relief resulting from or relating to the lawful design or manufacture of a firearm or ammunition or the marketing or sale of a firearm or ammunition to the public.
No person has a cause of action against the manufacturer or distributor of any firearm merely because the firearm was capable of causing serious injury, damage, or death.

Here is a link to the source of origin:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=NV

FourTenJaeger
03-27-2011, 1:15 PM
I believe Las Vegas requires you to register handguns. :confused:

nick
03-27-2011, 1:20 PM
CA has state preemption for firearms laws, too. Just like Las Vegas, many counties and municipalities still pass their own gun laws.

BoonieGhost
03-27-2011, 1:43 PM
I did read that about Clarke County (Las Vegas) and handguns. but how can they do that if the laws are written the way they are?

Librarian
03-27-2011, 1:46 PM
CA's preemption is much narrower; Government Code: 53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole
field of regulation of the registration or licensing
of commercially manufactured firearms

The other part is CA Civil Code: 1714. (a) Everyone is responsible, not only for the result of his
or her willful acts, but also for an injury occasioned to another by
his or her want of ordinary care or skill in the management of his or
her property or person, except so far as the latter has, willfully
or by want of ordinary care, brought the injury upon himself or
herself. The design, distribution, or marketing of firearms and
ammunition is not exempt from the duty to use ordinary care and skill
that is required by this section. The extent of liability in these
cases is defined by the Title on Compensatory Relief.

Maestro Pistolero
03-27-2011, 2:33 PM
For some time now, and as revised in 2007, Nevada has state pre-emption for gun laws with only one caveat: counties over a certain size (which essentially amounts to Clark county, i.e. Las Vegas, Henderson, etc) may require registration of handguns.

That's it. No other local firearms regulations are grandfathered in 2007.

There are still laws on the book in places like North Las vegas (a separate city for those who don't know) but they are un-enforced, and unenforceable.

There was/is an NRA lawsuit against Clark County, and North Las Vegas as early as last year regarding these vestigial laws. Don't know the current status.

CAL.BAR
03-27-2011, 2:50 PM
So what have we learned so far... the minute a NV county has any kind of sizeable population (like most of CA) they immediately pass registration law far more sweeping (registration of handguns) than CA. Nothing new there. The only diff between NV and CA is about 30million people.

population = gun hatred. End of story.

resident-shooter
03-27-2011, 3:01 PM
This thread is so full of fail.

Maestro Pistolero
03-27-2011, 3:47 PM
So what have we learned so far... the minute a NV county has any kind of sizeable population (like most of CA) they immediately pass registration law far more sweeping (registration of handguns) than CA. Nothing new there. The only diff between NV and CA is about 30million people.

Oh really?

Can you stuff a loaded 30 round magazine in any semi-automatic rifle of your choosing, throw it in your car or trunk (unchambered) and drive around in compliance with state law?

Can you FULLY load a handgun with a brand new full-capacity mag, and put it anywhere in your car except on your person without a permit, and be in compliance with the law?

Can you open-carry loaded, anywhere but a government building or the secure area of an airport without a permit?

Can you legally buy a gun from your neighbor, or a stranger for that matter, without a background check?

When you apply for a CCW as a non-prohibited person, are you guaranteed to get the license?

When you DO register a gun (as you must when you purchase it), is it free, or can it be done in 10 minutes at any police substation in the county, and with more friendly customer service than you get at the average retail store?

I cannot imagine two states with less in common vis a vi gun laws than California and Nevada. Perhaps AZ and NJ.

You're talking out of your rear-end.

Wherryj
03-27-2011, 8:41 PM
CA has state preemption for firearms laws, too. Just like Las Vegas, many counties and municipalities still pass their own gun laws.

That is because politicians everywhere see laws and the Constitution as hurdles to overcome rather than the framework within which they must operate.

Quiet
03-28-2011, 4:20 AM
I did read that about Clarke County (Las Vegas) and handguns. but how can they do that if the laws are written the way they are?

Because the Clark County handgun registration is grandfathered in.

NRS 244.364
1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
(a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
(b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
(a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
(b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
(c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.

gunsmith
03-28-2011, 9:42 AM

LOL!! sure, that's why my neighbor shoots class three in his backyard & I ccw everywhere, oh & registration is only in one county, you can pull over and use a machine gun to hunt coyote if you feel like it. Yup, NV sure is unfriendly to gun owners.

cruising7388
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
.... you can pull over and use a machine gun to hunt coyote if you feel like it.

Why not? It's a clear case of self defense.:13:

chaseface
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
you dont even have to yell "It's cummin right for us!!" ??

bwiese
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Djandj is right.

The only reason NV has gunrights is the rural/suburban to urban skew, and the national trend going to pro-gun.

As Vegas population increases and tilts the state vote to mostly represent the SEIU hotel floorsweepers plus the monied corporate gaming interests, gunrights can easily become lost. It could easily become very similar to CA, where Central Valley votes are mostly irrelevant compared to the huge LA/SF/Sacto urban demographic.

BoonieGhost
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Djandj is right.

The only reason NV has gunrights is the rural/suburban to urban skew, and the national trend going to pro-gun.

As Vegas population increases and tilts the state vote to mostly represent the SEIU hotel floorsweepers plus the monied corporate gaming interests, gunrights can easily become lost. It could easily become very similar to CA, where Central Valley votes are mostly irrelevant compared to the huge LA/SF/Sacto urban demographic.

You're absolutely right, but God help us all if it comes to that out there...Gun Laws are the primary reason I'm leaving CA, beside the fact that I just LOVE NV anyway...

CAL.BAR
03-28-2011, 1:16 PM
Djandj is right.

This bigger concern for the long run is that the US population is soaring. Almost all areas are experiencing urban sprawl. The only areas not seeing huge growth are the rural areas where gun rights have their roots. I can't see unfettered gun rights making it another 100 years in this country. The open spaces( and the freedoms that come with it) just aren't there anymore.

bwiese
03-28-2011, 2:18 PM
This bigger concern for the long run is that the US population is soaring. Almost all areas are experiencing urban sprawl. The only areas not seeing huge growth are the rural areas where gun rights have their roots. I can't see unfettered gun rights making it another 100 years in this country. The open spaces( and the freedoms that come with it) just aren't there anymore.

The urban/rural separation may get some reduction due to 37 states now having fairly rational CCW. Once some fraction of population gets CCWs, this seems to 'lock in' gun rights and gets 'ordinary folk with something to protect' to become more gunrights aware.

I see a day when a lot of direct gun issues will be mitigated, but our battle will change to lead ammo political issues and this will not have RKBA protection, and it'll cost $12/rd to shoot gold-plated tungsten ammo. This is a battle that's gonna have to be won *politically* thru a huge warchest, attacking statistics (like we refuted a lot of the condor crap) and joining with industry. (Auto industry has worries about regulation/litigation over copper in brake linings...)