PDA

View Full Version : Normal AR wear under charging handle?

FCOD
03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Is it normal to see wear under the charging handle? The point of interest is on the lower receiver right in front of where the buffer tube nut is. It seems as though there is a wear mark on both sides of where the charging handle rides. I am just curious if it's normal for the finish to wear here.

themailman
03-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Metal riding on metal wears finishes quickly. It's normal, keep up the shooting.

sleepercar
03-27-2011, 12:22 AM
That's normal.

Colt-45
03-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Put a very small amount of grease or oil. This is normal wear. Don't expect your rifle to look like new after shooting it alot. Unless it's shaving off metal I wouldn't worry about it.

oaklander
03-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Assuming you shoot right handed (right hand on the pistol grip), try this:

Next time you pull the charging handle back to chamber the first round, use your LEFT hand to pull the charging handle. It won't prevent finish wear, but it does allow you to reload your weapon much faster.

The way to do it is to use just the first finger (or two) on your left hand to pull the charging handle back from the left side only of the charging handle.

FCOD
03-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. It's still a new rifle and it's my first AR. Just glad to hear it's normal.

themailman
03-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Assuming you shoot right handed (right hand on the pistol grip), try this:

Next time you pull the charging handle back to chamber the first round, use your LEFT hand to pull the charging handle. It won't prevent finish wear, but it does allow you to reload your weapon much faster.

The way to do it is to use just the first finger (or two) on your left hand to pull the charging handle back from the left side only of the charging handle.

Or, use the monkey paw to jam it back quickly.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/IMGP7338-1.jpg

winxp_man
03-27-2011, 1:32 AM
Its normal wear keep up the shooting and enjoy it :D

762.DEFENSE
03-27-2011, 9:29 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/IMGP7338-1.jpg

I have a very similar build, nice :D

P.S. Totally normal, I just put some lube under the charging handle like stated above.

oaklander
03-27-2011, 9:51 AM
Ooops - yes - I totally forgot - the reason I use the first two fingers is that I am missing most of my pinky as the result of an old motorcycle accident!!!

Or, use the monkey paw to jam it back quickly.