PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear ammo in a Remington 700, a good idea?

r8dr rider
03-26-2011, 4:38 PM
I have a new Remy 700 and was wondering if its okay to run this ammo through my new rifle. Has anybody had any bad experiences with the ammo? I will just be using it for shooting bowling pins at the range, so accuracy is no big deal.

Legasat
03-26-2011, 5:09 PM
I have a Remmy LTR, and I would not. YMMV...

locosway
03-26-2011, 5:33 PM
Everyone knows that shooting any Russian ammo will make your gun explode, melt, or catch on fire. Anyone buying Russian ammo is a fool and deserves what they have coming.

Bottom line, it's ammo and it shoots. It may not be match ammo, but it goes bang.

comblock
03-26-2011, 6:07 PM
Someone in a past post had problem with a stuck case using laquered ammo. Do a search

TurboChrisB
03-26-2011, 6:55 PM
It's fine. Have fun with it.

sk8804
03-26-2011, 7:21 PM
it will run just fine.

BDH
03-26-2011, 8:03 PM
a Russian bolt action? Steel-cased ammo was not developed for bolt guns. Those who tell you to run it aren't shooting your rifle. Yes it's less expensive, until you can't get the case out. Or, after you've shot several rounds, you decide to unload and can't get the loaded round out because the chamber is mucked up with whatever they coat the steel cases with. I know there are fans of steel-cased ammo, just not this one for this application.

Bruce

rattlesnake_nm
03-26-2011, 8:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM

rattlesnake_nm
03-26-2011, 8:05 PM
a Russian bolt action? Steel-cased ammo was not developed for bolt guns. Those who tell you to run it aren't shooting your rifle. Yes it's less expensive, until you can't get the case out. Or, after you've shot several rounds, you decide to unload and can't get the loaded round out because the chamber is mucked up with whatever they coat the steel cases with. I know there are fans of steel-cased ammo, just not this one for this application.

Bruce

You are right. Don't run brown bear in a bolt gun. It will get stuck. It will not even work in a mosin. I love brown bear and wolf but this is true. I have tried it in mosins and gets stuck every time.

slick_711
03-26-2011, 8:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM

Great video, someone ought to sticky that.

Everytime I try to explain those details to people they look at me like I'm crazy. Some other guy saying it on tape obviously makes it factual. :rolleyes:

CK_32
03-26-2011, 8:32 PM
I wouldnt. But your gun.

Im just not a fan of steel case. but I heard their brass ammo wasnt bad. but no one ever buys
that cause you can gt winchester stuff for the same price as brass cased BB hahaha

rattlesnake_nm
03-26-2011, 8:59 PM

Everytime I try to explain those details to people they look at me like I'm crazy. Some other guy saying it on tape obviously makes it factual. :rolleyes:

There is a video out there where a guy takes a torch to laquer steel ammo and the torch wouldn't even melt the laquer. That was a good video though, kind of long but worth watching.

I shoot steel cased all the time through ar15s and aks. I have only had a problem with brown bear and mosins. It got stuck on a tula and a fin m39.

rumpletzer
03-26-2011, 9:05 PM

It was only factual until the end of the video when the guy started dancing. :eek: