PDA

View Full Version : Fake Can

dfletcher
03-26-2011, 1:32 PM
I've bought a CMMG 22 lr upper with a conventional front sight base, I'd like to put a fake slip over can on the thing for an SBR look, am wondering if anyone has suggestions. Is there anything that looks better than the typical "spray painted aluminum tube". They all look like nothing more than a solid block of aluminum with a threaded hole at the end. I can't quite get myself to spend $125.00 for the MFI type, hoping there's something in between.

fty
03-26-2011, 3:29 PM
Try Spikes
http://http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/accessories-fake-cans-c-78_31.html

It seems there have been a few for sale lately in the classified section

762.DEFENSE
03-26-2011, 8:15 PM
+1 for spikes.

shadow65
03-27-2011, 6:58 AM
Fixed it for you

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/accessories-fake-cans-c-78_31.html

Exile Machine
03-27-2011, 7:00 AM
We carry the Spike's Tactical fake cans, all of 'em, and proceeds from the sale go toward development and manufacture of CA compliance parts.

Click here to see the selection:
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=f26478f12c6bf4164d7a853338633b83

-Mark

shadow65
03-27-2011, 8:03 AM
Very cool.

jackandblood
03-27-2011, 8:19 AM
well the idea behind suppressors is stealth, so I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a no frills black matte anodized finish. Maybe you can find something in matte tan.

MAC USMC
04-03-2011, 8:42 AM
Why in the world would you want to attract attention to your firearm and initiate law enforcement interest in you and your guns? The "play toy" effect or shock value of having such a device on your firearm is not worth the trouble or expense.

Put your $$$$ into something more practical and functional.

Helpful_Cub
04-03-2011, 9:31 AM
Why in the world would you want to attract attention to your firearm and initiate law enforcement interest in you and your guns? The "play toy" effect or shock value of having such a device on your firearm is not worth the trouble or expense.

The same could be said about us needing a bullet button so we can have other "evil" features... He wants it to dress up his gun so more power to him.

scargk
04-03-2011, 9:39 AM
The madbull gemtech licensed airsoft gear might work well for you as well.

dfletcher
04-03-2011, 10:52 AM

Gee thanks for the advice Dad - Beaver and I were going to play in the back yard and take turns shooting Lumpy in the butt ...... :eek:

I've never seen a person at the range "shocked" and so far as LE attention that approach would speak against any muzzle device or hi cap magazine or BB eqipped semi auto.

donw
04-03-2011, 11:10 AM

+1 on that...

California has screwed up legislators as it is...don't attract their attention. keep in mind they are still "licking their wounds" over some of the stunning defeats handed them over things like the "BB", the open carry law, and the latest ammo laws...(I'm sure Kevin de Leon is sulking over his beer over those defeats.) :mad:

the LE, for the biggest part, are just enforcing what the legislators pass as laws..but sometimes are not the 'brightest bulbs around' when it comes to anything that resembles an AW...

keep in mind that IF your rifle/carbine gets confiscated for ANY reason they believe to be legitimate, even if later proven not to be legitimate...you'll have a very difficult time getting it back. (if it's a quality firearm/AR...it might end up in a police armory) :(

I'd opt to pass on something cosmetic like a 'fake can', even though legal...it might arouse the wrong result. JMO...;)

rubber duckie
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
or have one custom made to your specs. http://www.1alumalite.com/

DaveFJ80
04-03-2011, 8:20 PM
or have one custom made to your specs. http://www.1alumalite.com/

I agree on having one custom made to your specs. While there are some good brands out there (Spikes, Tacticool22, etc), IMO they're all too small in diameter and don't give a true "suppressed SBR" look, if that's what you're going for.

For me, if I gone with the Spikes or Tacticool22 fake can/shroud, then it would've looked too skinny (I've seen others with them and to me, it just didn't look right or that aggressive). So I had mine custom made and it's larger in diameter and looks better now against the hand rail.

(not a CMMG upper, but close enough for a reference)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/SW_15-22/Shroud/3602.jpg

Kryptyde
04-04-2011, 9:40 AM
I think the warning comments are valid.

If you modify your gun to appear illegal (silenced) you may attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. This might be worth the hassle for you...I know it wouldnt be for me.

C_S
04-04-2011, 1:50 PM
Here is a Spikes fake can on 16" cmmg upper and YHM spectre length free float handguard.

Yes, it's completely cosmetic and serves no functional purpose. Oh well, part of the fun of owning guns is looking at them and I like how it looks.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92783&d=1301953624

odysseus
04-04-2011, 1:54 PM
Do as you like, sure it might make someone in LE take a second glance, but it is legal and people shouldn't have to feel they need to live in fear when they are being legit.

Saying that, I have none of these. I only want as little as possible weighing on my rifle, and only things that are functional. I also am not trying for any air-soft look either which these have.

NorCal916
04-04-2011, 1:56 PM
Lots of fake cans in the SI swimsuit issue... :D

Izzy43
04-04-2011, 2:07 PM
Lots of fake cans in the SI swimsuit issue... :D

Now that raises my attention level.:taz::taz::taz:

While I do agree with some comments on not calling attention to your firearm and yourself as long as you understand the risks and it is legal then.....

Personally I wouldn't do it but then you are not me so good luck on your decision.

n2stackin
04-04-2011, 2:08 PM
/\ :yes: /\ lol

+1 for Spikes if you're looking for tacticool.

DaveFJ80
04-04-2011, 9:45 PM
I think the warning comments are valid.

If you modify your gun to appear illegal (silenced) you may attract unwanted attention from law enforcement. This might be worth the hassle for you...I know it wouldnt be for me.

A barrel shroud takes a few seconds to unscrew and show anybody that it's not a silencer, but just a cosmetic accessory.

hatidua
04-05-2011, 2:12 PM
I'd like to put a fake slip over can on the thing for an SBR look

Save your money. The novelty will wear off by the second range session.

dfletcher
04-05-2011, 7:33 PM
Save your money. The novelty will wear off by the second range session.

Probably, but WTH - I have a plain old birdcage, an XM177 slipover FH and this thing. It's a 22, I'll have fun.

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 2:05 PM
We carry the Spike's Tactical fake cans, all of 'em, and proceeds from the sale go toward development and manufacture of CA compliance parts.

Click here to see the selection:
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=f26478f12c6bf4164d7a853338633b83

-Mark
Will the SD-1 fit the CMMG .22lr barrel with the standard "F" tower FSB?

Exile Machine
05-08-2011, 2:15 PM
Will the SD-1 fit the CMMG .22lr barrel with the standard "F" tower FSB?

Unfortunately I don't have the specs on that barrel at hand. What's the thread pitch? (1/2 x 28?) What's the distance from the tip of the muzzle (w/o any muzzle device) back to the front sight? (Greater than 6.75"?). Do you have a rail or free float tube installed?

-Mark

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 3:46 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the specs on that barrel at hand. What's the thread pitch? (1/2 x 28?) What's the distance from the tip of the muzzle (w/o any muzzle device) back to the front sight? (Greater than 6.75"?). Do you have a rail or free float tube installed?

-Mark
Standard handguards. It has an A2 hider on now, but it's a smidge under 6.75 from the end of the FH to the front of the bayo lug, 7" to the front of the FSB. Looks like there's a 1/8" washer between the FH and barrel.

Exile Machine
05-08-2011, 3:50 PM
Standard handguards. It has an A2 hider on now, but it's a smidge under 6.75 from the end of the FH to the front of the bayo lug, 7" to the front of the FSB. Looks like there's a 1/8" washer between the FH and barrel.

If the threads are 1/2 x 28 it should fit.

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 3:55 PM
Cool.
I saw the OAL at 6.75, and I thought that these cans added 2", making a 14.5 legal, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was the Spikes cans or someone else's.

If need be, I can always grind the bayo lug off and touch it up, but I don't want to change the FSB and go to a railed front sight just yet.

Exile Machine
05-08-2011, 3:58 PM
Cool.
I saw the OAL at 6.75, and I thought that these cans added 2", making a 14.5 legal, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was the Spikes cans or someone else's.

Spike's SD-1 adds no length to the barrel.

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 4:13 PM
Spike's SD-1 adds no length to the barrel.
Ouch, that sounds like it might be tight with the FSB then.
The CMMG 22lr upper appears to measure the 16" barrel from the breech face, which is about halfway back the first "panel" on the dust cover.
16.5 from there goes to the rear of the slots on the A2 hider. My distance from the back of the delta ring to the forward edge of the FSB is only 9". I'm 16" from the back of the delta ring to the tip of the FH. The handguards look to be about 6.5"
Looks like this might be a 14.5" barrel with the barrel extension being dedicated to the .22lr
This is one of the new Evolution uppers... not the old style where 100% of the .22lr conversion was in the BCG.

Going to have to compare it to my 5.56 with the 14.5" middy.

Cokebottle
05-08-2011, 4:26 PM
No, it's definitely a 16 or 16.5" standard barrel. OAL on the 5.56 is 31" with the Modstock collapsed (it flushes with the end of the buffer tube), and with the RRA Operator collapsed, the .22 is just over 32" with the A2 flash hider.