PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on bag limit & posession limit

45user
10-30-2006, 9:20 PM
Hey all,
Can someone explain to me the difference between bag limit & possession limit?

Bag Limit:
2 males per day for the first 2 days of the season; 3 males per day after the first two days of the season

Possession Limit:
double the daily bag limit

Does this mean that when you go out in the field in the morning and bagged two then you come back to your car & unloaded the harvest then go out and bag two more??
Sorry for the stupid question...:o
I guess the post count starts new with the new board :eek:

socalguns
10-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Not a stupid question at all.

http://www.dnr.wisconsin.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/faq/posses.htm
What is the possession limit? How does it vary from the bag limit?

Answer: The possession limit is the maximum number of a species that you can control, transport, etc., at any time. It is twice the daily bag limit.

The daily bag limit is the maximum number that you can keep in one day (i.e., 12:00 am to 11:59 pm) of fishing. Fish not immediately released (i.e., prior to transport) are part of an angler's daily bag limit. An angler may not possess in excess of the daily bag limit for the water while on the waters, banks or shores of that water.

For example, if the daily bag limit for a species is 5, the most you could possess or control (i.e., in your freezer, cooler, vehicle, etc.) would be 10, no matter how many days you fished. Therefore, you could only bring home your possession limit of 10.

Once you reach your limit for a species, you must stop fishing for that species. This includes catch and release.

NeoWeird
10-31-2006, 12:16 AM
So let me get this straight.

Let's say your daily limit is 2, then you have a bag limit of 4. If the season is 5 days long and you catch 2 the first day and 2 the second day, then you've reached your bag limit and must stop, even though there are three days left in the season. Likewise, if you catch 1 a day for 4 days you have reached your bag limit even though you never reached your daily limit.

Is that correct?

metalhead357
10-31-2006, 5:53 AM
So let me get this straight.

Let's say your daily limit is 2, then you have a bag limit of 4. If the season is 5 days long and you catch 2 the first day and 2 the second day, then you've reached your bag limit and must stop, even though there are three days left in the season. Likewise, if you catch 1 a day for 4 days you have reached your bag limit even though you never reached your daily limit.

Is that correct?

Yep. Unless of course ya' eat the lil' bastard. then you're down one in your posession- so one more day of hunting.

another example; Deer- with a 1 deer tag you have a 1 deer limit total for the entire season. With a 2 deer tag you may harvest two (total) for the entire season.

You cannot 'go past' the limit at any time (whether in the field, home, in your car or some combo there of).

jemaddux
10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Yep. Unless of course ya' eat the lil' bastard. then you're down one in your posession- so one more day of hunting.

another example; Deer- with a 1 deer tag you have a 1 deer limit total for the entire season. With a 2 deer tag you may harvest two (total) for the entire season.

You cannot 'go past' the limit at any time (whether in the field, home, in your car or some combo there of).

Its also the same with fishing but is not enforced. You have bag limits on some fish. Most people go fishing, catch five and go home and freeze them. Next week go out and do it again and again. Next thing you know your over the bag limit and if it was enforced you could find yourself in trouble.

jemaddux
10-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Here, I will add this because I know a couple people like to argue things:cool: .

1.17. Bag and Possession Limit.
No more than one daily bag limit of each kind
of fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk or crustacean
named in these regulations may be taken or
possessed by any one person unless otherwise
authorized; regardless of whether they are fresh,
frozen, or otherwise preserved. Exceptions: See
Sections 7.00, 7.50 (a), 27.60 (e), and 95,
Title 4, CCR.

The exceptions are more for areas that have a zero bag limit.

45user
10-31-2006, 9:23 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Hunter
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Also remember that while you are limited to the daily take and by the overall possession limit, you can transfer your limit to someone else like your friend or family. So while your are still limited by the daily limit on taking more (regardless if you gave it away), you can take more the next day as long as you personnally donot exceed the possession limit for the season at anytime. For example, if you were from a family of four, you could legally have 4x your possession limit in your family's control. Also, the receiver does not need to have a license to take possession of fish or game from you, but they are under the same rules for overall possesion limit.

Hunter
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey all,
Can someone explain to me the difference between bag limit & possession limit?

Bag Limit:
2 males per day for the first 2 days of the season; 3 males per day after the first two days of the season

Possession Limit:
double the daily bag limit

Does this mean that when you go out in the field in the morning and bagged two then you come back to your car & unloaded the harvest then go out and bag two more??
Sorry for the stupid question...:o
I guess the post count starts new with the new board :eek:

For pheasant hunting, as you noted above, the daily limit changes with the season's opening weekend. So for opening weekend, you can only have 4 birds in your possession on Sunday evening. Now on monday, the limit is now 3/day so you can go get another 2 on monday for a total of 6 in possession. At that point you would need to stop hunting until your possession limit drops below 6 birds, either by giving them away or eating them.

metalhead357
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
you can transfer your limit to someone else like your friend or family. So while your are still limited by the daily limit on taking more (regardless if you gave it away), you can take more the next day as long as you personnally donot exceed the possession limit for the season at anytime. For example, if you were from a family of four, you could legally have 4x your possession limit in your family's control. .

MAYBE true for fish (I dunno) BUT NOT TRUE FOR GAME. How do I know? Had two friends (brothers) run afoul of this one on Dove..... got popped for it to & had to surrender the dove & were done for the ENTIRE game season. One shot ten, the other shot 5, the first wanted to keep shooting and 'gave' his bro 5 to max his limit & he continued shooting:cool: Problem is/was this was on land well within sight of the warden checking peeps in the gate and knew 'something' was up when the less-shooting bro came back sooner than the one who had seemingly done better. Took both thier licences right there. Game is NOT transferbale with bag limits. Now while 'some' may never be the wiser if'n ya' keep your mouth shut~ IMO you're walking a fine line abusing the game laws and thier intent; a bigger chance if you're trying to 'tranfer' a limit to someone without a licence. A big no-go in my book.... I like my freedom & being able to continue to hunt.

(edit) Now I guess I should say...AFAIK...you ARE totally legal to truly give game away; but to someone in the same household? I think its still to fine a line.

Hunter
10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
MAYBE true for fish (I dunno) BUT NOT TRUE FOR GAME. How do I know? Had two friends (brothers) run afoul of this one on Dove..... got popped for it to & had to surrender the dove & were done for the ENTIRE game season. One shot ten, the other shot 5, the first wanted to keep shooting and 'gave' his bro 5 to max his limit & he continued shooting:cool: .....

First off, what I posted is TRUE FOR GAME AND FISH. What you describe here is someone trying to take more than their daily limit. That is indeed against the law. As I posted, one can go shoot a bag limit and give it away the same day. But the hunter still CANNOT take another daily bag limit until the next day. Giving game away only decreases your possession limit, it cannot effect your daily bag limit. Two different things.

metalhead357
10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Gotcha.... NOW I understand ya. When I first read your post...well, you can see my thread and see what I was thinking. But yes, and glad I posted the edit; truly giving away the game decreases the limit, but the idea of 'transfering' a limit sent off red-flares and flash-backs (LOL!) to my friends' tale-of-woes.

Sorry if there is/was any misunderstanding:) (but hey, this is about game laws...NONE of it truly makes sense:cool: LOL!)

Hunter
10-31-2006, 11:42 PM
In this months California Waterfowl magazine, they have a column that is a question/answer about laws. It is written by an active game warden. One of the questions this month deals exactly with this situation. I quote:

Question:
I’m hunting a weekend trip and limit both days, then head home. I already have birds in my freezer at home from previous hunts. Does the possession limit apply only in the field or while traveling, too? What should I do?

Answered by California Dept. of Fish and Game Warden Mike Carion:

A. The possession limit applies at all times, so the birds you have in your freezer are still part of your possession. The thing to remember is that every person living in the house is allowed a possession limit of ducks. The person does not have to be a licensed hunter in order to legally possess a limit of birds once in their home. A hunting license in required for “take” of birds, and only a licensed hunter may take birds. All birds must be in the possession of the licensed hunter who took them or be tagged with information showing the name, address, hunting license number, and signature of the hunter who took them as well as the species and sex of the birds. In the situation above, if the hunter lived alone, he or she is not legally allowed to hunt until he or she is below the possession limit. Remember, the possession limit applies to all birds you have harvested for the season and have not either consumed or given to another person.