PDA

View Full Version : powder storage

shooterx10
10-30-2006, 3:55 PM
Just a general question about powder...

How long can a 8lbs can of powder (pistol or rifle, and not black powder) be stored in a cool dry place and still have it shoot like new? When does it start to degrade even after it is stored in a cool dry place?

Any help is appreciated... :)

ivanimal
10-30-2006, 5:56 PM
I have some powder that is over 15 years old. There seems to be no difference in how it shoots today versus how it shot 15 years ago. Powder stored well could last 50 years easily. There is an acidic` smell that comes out of bad powder, some say is smells like vinegar. If you dont know the history of old powder dont use it.

socalguns
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
POW! POW!
http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/MSDS/msds_410.html
SAAMI - Properties and Storage of Smokeless Powder
http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/lobby/1221/saami_pw.htm

If you google for the title, you'll find lots of reloading guides with that info

tankerman
10-31-2006, 4:52 AM
Much sure that your storage box is of the proper construction. If you are going to store large quantities, you should go to manufactures website and get the proper specs. . Safety issue

Scarecrow Repair
10-31-2006, 6:35 AM
If you dont know the history of old powder dont use it.
How do you dispose of old powder? I can think of lots of fun ways, but there is probably some approved environmentally friendly way, eh? Wouldn't want to just dump it in the garbage!

ryang
10-31-2006, 6:47 AM
Sprinkle on your plants. Nitrogen is a fertilizer.

Scarecrow Repair
10-31-2006, 7:58 AM
Sprinkle on your plants. Nitrogen is a fertilizer.
Color me noob. This really has my imagination going ... what if someone tosses a lit cigaret butt out there? I suppose it would only be bad news if it were dumped in one big pile and not wet.

Somehow this really strikes my funny bone. I imagine a garden flaring up and burning all the flowers and veggies. Burnt squash for dinner, kids! Belongs in a Buster Keaton movie.

Sorry, ignore me :-)

xrMike
10-31-2006, 8:32 AM
How do you dispose of old powder? I can think of lots of fun ways, but there is probably some approved environmentally friendly way, eh? Wouldn't want to just dump it in the garbage!Another way is to just burn it, it's no biggie and not dangerous (unless you're really stupid). Although this method is best if you live in a rural area where you can do it without pissing off any neighbors...

Just pour it out in a shallow pile, no more than a half pound at a time and no more than 1 inch deep, pour a thin trail of powder leading a safe distance away from the larger pile and ignite the trail.

Smokeless powder only explodes when confined. Ignited this way, it burns harmlessly. It may spark outward a little, so make sure you do this in a cleared area with no combustible material nearby.

chickenfried
10-31-2006, 9:30 AM
I do the cartoon bit, make a gun powder trail and then light it. From the SAAMI link Socalguns posted
The best way to dispose of deteriorated smokeless powder is to burn it out in the open at an isolated location in small shallow piles (not over 1" deep). The quantity burned in any one pile should never exceed one pound. Use an ignition train of slow burning combustible material so that the person may retreat to a safe distance before powder is ignited.

xrMike
10-31-2006, 9:47 AM
Yeah, Winchester recommends that same method.

Kruzr
10-31-2006, 9:57 AM
Spiral patterns are fun to watch burn. :)

thmpr
10-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Anyone has a link for approved storage bins?

grammaton76
10-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Think CA approves boxes composed of 1" plywood, for storage of up to 50lbs.