PDA

View Full Version : Which scope mount for Tikka T3?

dirtydrew
03-25-2011, 6:58 PM
I just DROSed a Tikka T3 Lite. I am wondering what your opinions of the factory rings are. I will most likely be getting a Leupold VXII 3x9x40 for it. Should I upgrade to the Game Reaper mount? EGW base and some good rings? Any other options? This will be a deer/pig rifle chambered in .308. I don't really need a 20 MOA base, just something very durable that can take some abuse in the field. Thanks!

smittty
03-25-2011, 7:36 PM
The factory rings are perfect, don't waste you money on different ones.

I suggest a fixed 6x scope from Leupold or Weaver.

Leupold FX3 6x42 with long range duplex reticle is excellent and weighs 11 oz. Price is about $400 if you shop around. Check Optics Planet. My good friend has this scope on this Sako and it's very very nice.

Weaver K6 6x38, weighs 10 oz and costs under $150. The magnificaton is actually x5.75, not x6 and it has about 1 ft wider field of view at 100 yards than the Leupold. I like these scopes a lot and for the price you get very good perfromance. Light weight, decent glass, bright and reliable.

You gain a lot in performance if you use a fixed power scope instead of a variable power scope. For the T3 Lite I think it's smart to keep the rifle weight as light as possible and either of these scopes would make a good choice.

Divernhunter
03-25-2011, 9:16 PM
I have 2 of the rifles. A 6.5X55 and a 7mm-08 with that same scope and the factory rings. Never had any trouble and I think that is one of the best scopes for hunting. I have about 20 of them on different rifles. They work very well and so does the rings. The rifle will probably out-shoot you. They are deadly accurate.

dirtydrew
03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Sounds good guys!

r1ghtw1ng
03-26-2011, 1:20 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the DNZ Dednutz 1 piece mount that I got with my T3 lite. Rock solid.

Bull Elk
03-26-2011, 2:04 PM
The glass and warranty on the Vortex series scopes are as good in my opinion as Leuopld and Nikon. I really like the side focus on the Vortex.

dirtydrew
03-27-2011, 8:08 PM
Which Vortex do you have?

goodlookin1
03-28-2011, 6:57 AM
The factory rings are perfect, don't waste you money on different ones.

I suggest a fixed 6x scope from Leupold or Weaver.

Leupold FX3 6x42 with long range duplex reticle is excellent and weighs 11 oz. Price is about $400 if you shop around. Check Optics Planet. My good friend has this scope on this Sako and it's very very nice.

Weaver K6 6x38, weighs 10 oz and costs under $150. The magnificaton is actually x5.75, not x6 and it has about 1 ft wider field of view at 100 yards than the Leupold. I like these scopes a lot and for the price you get very good perfromance. Light weight, decent glass, bright and reliable.

You gain a lot in performance if you use a fixed power scope instead of a variable power scope. For the T3 Lite I think it's smart to keep the rifle weight as light as possible and either of these scopes would make a good choice.

Funny, I had a different experience with my T3 Lite in .30-06.

I ended up buying an EGW Weaver/Picatinny rail that mounts to the top of the receiver, a cheap set of weaver rings, and I halved my group sizes! My scope mount is so tight now....it's impossible to move the it. I'd have to drop it on a rock. Now, with the right load and bullet, I am shooting .75 MOA, with my best group being .65 MOA (100 yards).

Those original rings are garbage. Love the rifle, though!

FLIGHT762
03-28-2011, 1:57 PM
I'm pretty impressed with the DNZ Dednutz 1 piece mount that I got with my T3 lite. Rock solid.

Same here, I have a T-3 Lite in .270 Win. with a DNZ one piece mount. If you have a 40 MM front objective mount, you can use the low mounts. Glad I bought my DNZ. My other option would be the EGW base.

Factory rings were no Bueno.

.22guy
03-28-2011, 2:05 PM
This thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone say positive things about the factory rings. I thought they looked like junk, so I replaced them with the DNZ one piece mount. Well worth the money, IMHO.

Merc1138
03-28-2011, 4:15 PM
Yeah... searching various forums on google all you see is complaint after complaint about the tikka rings being crap. Either the screws used having the heads strip, or the threading stripping. I've got my own Tikka sitting in it's 10 day jail right now, and I didn't wait on ordering the dnz mount after reading about all of the issues with the stock rings.

graniteob
03-28-2011, 4:25 PM
Love the Deadnutz and Talley setups. I put them on five of my rifles.

dirtydrew
03-29-2011, 7:59 AM
I might just go ahead and order up the DNZ one piece mount. How much room is there in that mount for moving the scope back and forth for eye relief?

goodlookin1
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I might just go ahead and order up the DNZ one piece mount. How much room is there in that mount for moving the scope back and forth for eye relief?

That's the problem with this mount.....it will depend on your scope. This is the primary reason why I went with the EGW rail: Mounting options. The DNZ scope mount is screwed directly into the receiver and has no room to move back and forth once on. There might be some extra holes, letting you choose how to mount it....not sure about that.

With the mountable rail, you can place picatinny rings anywhere you so choose.

Not that the DNZ is back by any means....i'm sure it's great. But it certainly lacks flexibility in comparison to the EGW rail.

YMMV

EDIT: Also keep in mind the scope you want to purchase.....I dont know how tall of a scope those rings allow for without the objective hitting the barrel. This may not be a problem, but at least something to think about.

shootin' nuke
03-29-2011, 6:50 PM
+1 for Talleys. Solid and lightweight.

dirtydrew
03-29-2011, 7:26 PM
That's the problem with this mount.....it will depend on your scope. This is the primary reason why I went with the EGW rail: Mounting options. The DNZ scope mount is screwed directly into the receiver and has no room to move back and forth once on. There might be some extra holes, letting you choose how to mount it....not sure about that.

With the mountable rail, you can place picatinny rings anywhere you so choose.

Not that the DNZ is back by any means....i'm sure it's great. But it certainly lacks flexibility in comparison to the EGW rail.

YMMV

EDIT: Also keep in mind the scope you want to purchase.....I dont know how tall of a scope those rings allow for without the objective hitting the barrel. This may not be a problem, but at least something to think about.
Yeah, it's only going to be a 40mm objective, so I think I'll be able to get away with low mounts/rings. Do you have an EGW?

dirtydrew
03-30-2011, 8:32 PM
I might go the EGW route with some Burris low rings.