PDA

View Full Version : Rossi The Ranch Hand

NaughtyMonkey
03-25-2011, 6:58 PM
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196&category=17&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

I was trying to look and see if this is California Legal, I thought it was a rifle but on a few other forums some people said it is California Legal because its considered a "handgun" is this true or what?

I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I posted this in the rifle section because thats what I think it is. But I could be mistaken.

-Thanks.

West9319
03-25-2011, 7:02 PM
A thread was started about the Henry Mare's legs coming out and someone keyed in about the guns being exempt under the single shot rule. I would think if that is true then this would be too.

Quiet
03-25-2011, 7:03 PM
This has been discussed in the past in the handgun forum...

Summary:

Under Federal laws...
The Rossi Ranch Hand & Henry Mare's Leg are lever-action pistols.

Under CA laws...
The Rossi Ranch Hand & Henry Mare's Leg are "handguns".

Since it is a "handgun" and not on the approved list, it will need to be modified as a single shot pistol prior to importation into CA.

Single-shot pistol modification is simple.
Insert dowl into tubular magazine tube, which prevents the magazine from accepting cartridges.

After you 4473/DROS & 10 day wait, you can legally remove the dowl and return it to it's standard capacity.

cal_ar_shooter
03-25-2011, 7:47 PM
That just went on my wish list.

Does anyone have an idea when this will be available?

loosewreck
03-25-2011, 7:54 PM
I must have missed the past threads on this. Why isn't it excempt from the roster, just like other single action cowboy hand guns?

paul0660
03-25-2011, 8:00 PM
Nice job Quiet.

elSquid
03-25-2011, 8:07 PM
I must have missed the past threads on this. Why isn't it excempt from the roster, just like other single action cowboy hand guns?

12133 explicitly states "single action revolver."

-- Michael

loosewreck
03-25-2011, 8:08 PM
12133 explicitly states "single action revolver."

-- Michael

Ah, thanks.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-25-2011, 8:15 PM
This has been discussed in the past in the handgun forum...

Summary:

Under Federal laws...
The Rossi Ranch Hand & Henry Mare's Leg are lever-action pistols.

Under CA laws...
The Rossi Ranch Hand & Henry Mare's Leg are "handguns".

Since it is a "handgun" and not on the approved list, it will need to be modified as a single shot pistol prior to importation into CA.

Single-shot pistol modification is simple.
Insert dowl into tubular magazine tube, which prevents the magazine from accepting cartridges.

After you 4473/DROS & 10 day wait, you can legally remove the dowl and return it to it's standard capacity.

+1:D

Table Rock Arms
03-25-2011, 8:29 PM
I plan on doing these as single shot pistols as do several other FFL's, but that means nothing until we can actually get our hands on them. Nobody has em. All my distributors say they haven't seen em yet.

Ryan

Hump0311
03-25-2011, 8:33 PM
I plan on doing these as single shot pistols as do several other FFL's, but that means nothing until we can actually get our hands on them. Nobody has em. All my distributors say they haven't seen em yet.

Ryan

I remember reading that a dispute between Rossi and the original designer of the gun are in a legal battle which is why they are hard to come across.

I don't have a source and am to lazy to Google. But with a quick google search this info should be verifiable.

TiMe_1
03-25-2011, 8:34 PM
Damn you! I want one now! Lol

ke6guj
03-25-2011, 8:55 PM
I tried talking to the Taurus/Rossi reps at the SHOT show to see if they were gonna submit the Ranch Hand for Roster testing, but nobody there was familiar with CA law.

NaughtyMonkey
03-25-2011, 9:59 PM
lol. Thanks for all the answers. So if I can get a hold of one. Will the dowl have to be put in before it comes to California, or can I go to the FFL and stick the dowl in it? I don't understand how you can remove it and it still be legal?

slappomatt
03-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Who makes a holster for that for OC purposes :eek:

ke6guj
03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
lol. Thanks for all the answers. So if I can get a hold of one. Will the dowl have to be put in before it comes to California, or can I go to the FFL and stick the dowl in it?
it should be done before it comes into CA.

I don't understand how you can remove it and it still be legal?because the law doesn't prohibit you from modifying your own handgun, provided you don't make an AW or NFA items.

lpk5
03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
ke6qui beat me to it

You would have get a ffl to do a single shot conversion before shipping it to cali

Sydwaiz
03-25-2011, 10:14 PM
lol. Thanks for all the answers. So if I can get a hold of one. Will the dowl have to be put in before it comes to California, or can I go to the FFL and stick the dowl in it? I don't understand how you can remove it and it still be legal?

I do believe the dowel would have to be installed by an 07 FFL. I'm on the waiting list for one!

Lrchops
03-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Tell me where to get the Mare's Leg, I will order it right now!

ke6guj
03-25-2011, 10:15 PM

http://www.replicagunsdirect.com/catalog/old-west-holsters/mares-leg-holster-81.html

loosewreck
03-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Make an old school leather single point sling for the loop. Ha ha, it'll be like a 19th century AR pistol.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/Recluse76/Ranch_Hand_2.jpg

thrillhouse700
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
thing is so freaking rad..........

savasyn
03-26-2011, 1:35 AM
I so didn't need to want another gun. This thing in .44 Mag would be pretty awesome!

lpk5
03-26-2011, 1:42 AM
A little off-topic but NaughtyMonkey, I wonder if this topic was brought up from Shooting Gallery on the Outdoor Channel? haha I was watching the show the other night and it was about zombies and the host of the show was using one of these or similar to.

metalliman545
03-26-2011, 3:01 AM
There's one over here at mission essential in hinesville ga, I seent it on wednesday. Lol

B Strong
03-26-2011, 4:10 AM
All those Mare's leg lever actions are cool, but shooting them is another story - if you want to get your Steve Mcqueen thing going and blast away from the hip, it's fun.

Try to actually aim and fire, the ergos are horrible, the sights likewise.

It's possible to simgle shot convert the thing, but I'll pass.

NaughtyMonkey
04-20-2011, 12:01 AM
A little off-topic but NaughtyMonkey, I wonder if this topic was brought up from Shooting Gallery on the Outdoor Channel? haha I was watching the show the other night and it was about zombies and the host of the show was using one of these or similar to.

lol no. I saw them advertised in a gun magazine I was looking at.