PDA

View Full Version : RAW and moving to another State.

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 5:07 PM
Brother has a RAW Colt AR15 and is moving to NV.

This RAW was registered during the registration period. He is a retired LEO if that matters?

Are there any options for leaving it in state in the event he might return?

I have never thought about this untill he told me he is moving out of state. First thing that came to mind was, Crap what about your AR? Could he put the reciever it in a small cash box and take the key and put the small safe in a family members safe? Im curious to find out what the lawyers think. If done in this manor it would never be in anyones control that isnt the owner of the RAW.

Anchors
03-25-2011, 5:13 PM
Interesting. Tagged.

stix213
03-25-2011, 5:25 PM
Couldn't he just take it with him and later return with it at any time when he wants to come back into the state?

bwiese
03-25-2011, 5:44 PM
1. I assume the RAW in question was registered personally either during the 1990 Roberti-Roos
window or 2000 (up to 1/23/01 for ARs/AKs) SB23 reg window - and that his gun was NOT
specially registered as "LEO registration with letter from chief." If the latter (with LEO AW
registration) he probably shouldn't keep it after he retires and he must convert it to CA-legal
OLL status.
2. Moving out of California does NOT cancel an AW registration. That AW registration exists
separately from CA DL/CA ID status. The law allows AWs to be registered, and the violation is
for having an unregistered AW. For regular AWs there's no expiry of registration (except for
voluntary deregistration)

Furthermore, the law allows reg'd AWs to exit and reenter CA with their owner. Doesn't matter
how long the time period it's outside CA, or whether it involves a move or change of residency:
one day vs. 20 years outside CA is irrelevant.

3. The DOJ FD/BoF administration of the reg'd AW database is sloppy, and DOJ data entry had a
variety of issues. Your brother should ensure he has his DOJ AW registration letter, and keep it
as well as copies in a safe place whereever he moves (safety deposit box, etc.)

He should validate that his info and the make model and serial# are properly recorded on it and
correct it if not (via the DOJ BoF Registration & Permits unit - they will be helpful.) There may be
some small risk in years going forward that when there's no corresponding CA DL or ID number
associated with it, and it might be hard to pull up on the computer due to state of California's
notorious competency in administering computers - let alone DOJ's.

4. Your brother should transport his AW in when in CA locked & unloaded to specific destinations
where it's expressly allowed. This includes visiting your home (I'd hope!), going to a CA range,
or returning to points outside CA. If this question comes up one should not lie to a police officer,
but should consider where his car is pointing and account for instantaneous changes of mind. I
myself always have a weekend of clothes/dry cleaning in my truck and I have in the past suddenly
decided to go to Reno spur-of-themoment.

5. Your brother is free, by law, to bring back into CA any hicap magazines he possessed inside CA
before 1/1/2000. Since he is retired LEO, any hicap mags that he had *after* 1/1/2000 should
NOT reenter California.

Ubermcoupe
03-25-2011, 6:05 PM
.Moving out of California does NOT cancel an AW registration.

I stand corrected. Bill, for my own future reference, can you point me to the 12xxx where this is listed? Thanks :)

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 6:05 PM
I assume the RAW in question was registered personally either during the 1990 Roberti-Roos
window or 2000 (up to 1/23/01 for ARs/AKs) SB23 reg window - and that his gun was NOT
specially registered as "LEO registration with letter from chief."

Yes this is the case. He owned it pre-1994 and registered it during the registration period. I dont believe his East Bay nazi department ever knew he had it.

Moving out of California does NOT cancel an AW registration. That AW registration exists
separately from CA DL/CA ID status. The law allows AWs to be registered, and the violation is
for having an unregistered AW.

Good to know I did not know this.

Furthermore, the law allows reg'd AWs to exit and reenter CA with their owner. Doesn't matter
how long the time period it's outside CA, or whether it involves a move or change of residency:
1 day vs. 20 years outside CA is irrelevant.

Perfect.

The DOJ FD/BoF administration of the reg'd AW database is sloppy, and data entry had a variety
of issue. Your brother should ensure he has his DOJ AW registration letter, and keep it as well as
copies in a safe place whereever he moves (safety deposit box, etc.)

I will make sure he does.

Hicap magazines possessed in CA by your brother before 1/1/2000 are free to re-enter CA per
CA law. [Given your brother is a retired LEO, any hicap mags he got after 1/1/2000 should NOT
re-enter back into California.

I will inform him to seperate his Pre and Post mags, so no laws are ever violated.

Thanks Bill,

This is exactly the no BS info I was looking for. He will be glad to know he may always return, to CA shoot with the family and go home, without running a foul.

bohoki
03-25-2011, 6:33 PM
aint no use unregistering it not like you're getting your money back

bwiese
03-25-2011, 7:04 PM
I stand corrected. Bill, for my own future reference, can you point me to the 12xxx where this is listed? Thanks :)

It's not listed because it's not there (i.e. deregistration on move out of
CA). Thus I can't quote you a 12xxx PC.

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 7:14 PM
It's not listed because it's not there (i.e. deregistration on move out of
CA). Thus I can't quote you a 12xxx PC.

Nor is any of this information on the CGF Wiki. I looked first before posting. As the years go by and the AW laws in Ca. stay the same, information like this my be valueable to others.

mattmcg
03-26-2011, 3:27 PM
This is a very interesting question and I'm glad to hear the responses. I take it that a registered AR pistol would have the same treatment if one were to move out of state?

Don't mean to derail the thread but the whole concept of moving out of CA and into CA with your registered RAW, registered AR pistol, and high-cap mags is something that has been on my mind lately.

I guess the simple question is, is there any item that you would need to LEAVE in CA if you moved out of state if you planned on moving back and desired to use that item?