PDA

View Full Version : Buying used gun that has OG hi cap mags (preban)

salazar44
03-25-2011, 3:28 PM
If I bought a used handgun manufactured prior to 10+ round mag limit law went into effect, can I use the magazine it originally came with? It came with two 13 round magazines so in effect those are preban magazines, but I wasnt the OG owner, yet they are original to the firearm.

Thanks for your help

626Tony
03-25-2011, 3:29 PM
you gotta make them 10rd mags otherwise you have Purchased hi caps unlawfully correct me if im wrong

salazar44
03-25-2011, 3:31 PM
Thanks for your help. Makes sense how you put it.

wu_dot_com
03-25-2011, 3:35 PM
you gotta make them 10rd mags otherwise you have Purchased hi caps unlawfully correct me if im wrong

i think you are only half right.

ban and preban have no affect on hi cap mags.

you cannot buy any fully assemble mag in CA with higher then 10 rd cap.

you cannot import fully assemble mag in to CA with higher then 10 rd cap.

you can buy disassemble rebuild mag kits that is higher than 10 rds.

you can import disassemble rebuild mag kits that is higher than 10 rds.

you are not allow to manufacture mag grater than 10 rds in CA. assembling is consider as manufacturing.

there is no law against you from owning or using a mag that is higher than 10rds.

read between the lines, and do those at your own risk.

wu_dot_com
03-25-2011, 3:36 PM
If I bought a used handgun manufactured prior to 10+ round mag limit law went into effect, can I use the magazine it originally came with? It came with two 13 round magazines so in effect those are preban magazines, but I wasnt the OG owner, yet they are original to the firearm.

Thanks for your help

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=387409

read sticky. it have all the info you need to know about mags.

Jel
03-25-2011, 3:40 PM

Thanks for your help

The answer to your question is NO if you leave them in their original 13 round capacity, YES if you use them to make 10 rounders. Doesn't matter if the gun was manufactured before the ban.

ICONIC
03-25-2011, 3:42 PM
IMHO keep the hi caps at home. Get some 10 rounders to use at the range. save yourself the potential headache.

GettoPhilosopher
03-25-2011, 5:36 PM
:fud:

It is in no way illegal to BUY high caps.

It is illegal to sell, import, manufacture, or give.

So yeah, if someone sells you a pistol manufactured before the ban with its original magazines, the guy's an idiot and just committed a crime....but you didn't. You now legally own those mags.

Possession is not a crime. Purchasing is not a crime. Selling/giving/manufacturing/importing is.

Steve1968LS2
03-25-2011, 5:38 PM
Buy them as rebuild kits and keep them for when you move out of this forsaken state...

Cuda440
03-25-2011, 5:38 PM
The law states that you may not manufacture, import, or sell high cap mags.

If you bought hi cap mags, you did not break the law- the seller did.

/JMO