PDA

View Full Version : RAW and moving.

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 2:43 PM
Brother has a RAW Colt AR15 and is moving to NV.
1)What needs to be done to keep CA happy assuming he never returns?
2)Are there any options for leaving it in state in the event he might return?

This RAW was registered during the registration period. He is a retired LEO if that matters?

Ubermcoupe
03-25-2011, 3:25 PM
Once he moves it out of state there will be no way for it to come back into the state legally, unless he were to re-register it (i.e. work as a LEO again).

My suggestion is to leave it in the state (at least the reciever) in safe storage.

That way if he wants to return he'll be able to do so with the abilty to use an RAW in the state.

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 3:32 PM
Once he moves it out of state there will be no way for it to come back into the state legally, unless he were to re-register it (i.e. work as a LEO again).

My suggestion is to leave it in the state (at least the reciever) in safe storage.

That way if he wants to return he'll be able to do so with the abilty to use an RAW in the state.

So leaving the receiver in the State is a legal option. What are his options for leaving it. Can family keep it for him? Can he leave it in a banks vault? Can he be a resident of another State and have a registered AW in California?

odysseus
03-25-2011, 3:35 PM
Can he be a resident of another State and have a registered AW in California?

That's the good question here. Is leaving your RAW physically in the state fine with the DOJ while you become a resident of another State? Do they consider that kosher? Do you open yourself to liability for control of said RAW? Maybe if in a safe only you have combo of? I can't recall if we talked about something like that here.

Mstrty
03-25-2011, 3:38 PM
That's the good question here. Is leaving your RAW physically in the state fine with the DOJ while you become a resident of another State? Do they consider that kosher? Do you open yourself to liability for control of said RAW? Maybe if in a safe only you have combo of? I can't recall if we talked about something like that here.

I have never thought about it either untill he told me they are moving out of state. First thing that came to mind was, Crap what about your AR? Could he put the reciever it in a small cash box and take the key and put the small safe in a family members safe? Im curious to find out what the lawyers think. If done in this manor it would never be in anyones control that isnt the owner of the RAW.

Ubermcoupe
03-25-2011, 5:10 PM
Apologies, I stand corrected as per Bill's response in 2A forum.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=413227