PDA

View Full Version : Selling a RAW question

sfonelson
03-25-2011, 2:44 PM
Hello Calguns!

I have a buddy that might be interested in selling a RAW. Is is possible to sell a RAW in CA to another CA resident?

geeknow
03-25-2011, 2:56 PM
Hello Calguns!

I have a buddy that might be interested in selling a RAW. Is is possible to sell a RAW in CA to another CA resident?

nope.

tiger222
03-25-2011, 3:05 PM
You can 'deregister' a RAW with the DOJ and sell it IF is it not a listed reciever, once it is made compliant.

ghost
03-25-2011, 3:05 PM
Hello Calguns!

short answer no.he cant even transfer it to another family member especially if its banned by make/model.what type raw are you talking about?

MrPlink
03-25-2011, 3:06 PM
can only be sold within state to a FFL that has a permit for "assault weapons."

IMO,
best course of action is to keep the receiver (the part this is legally the RAW) and sell off all the other parts. The opportunity to own such a weapon with the confines of a mag lock or featureless configuration could be a very long ways off (if at all). So at least this way you have options.

So unless your friend just hates the rifle, or is just done with firearms altogether, thats what I would do.

ghost
03-25-2011, 3:08 PM
can only be sold within state to a FFL that has a permit for "assault weapons."

IMO,
best course of action is to keep the receiver (the part this is legally the RAW) and sell off all the other parts. The opportunity to own such a weapon with the confines of a mag lock or featureless configuration could be a very long ways off (if at all). So at least this way you have options.

So unless your friend just hates the rifle, or is just done with firearms altogether, thats what I would do.

another option would be he could sell it out of state.

chesterthehero
03-25-2011, 3:18 PM
or keep the receiver and sell the parts

MrPlink
03-25-2011, 3:31 PM
another option would be he could sell it out of state.

yep

I know Im a bit long winded sometimes, but isnt that what I said?

sfonelson
03-25-2011, 3:40 PM
I just spoke to him briefly over the phone, and he told me the model. I may have this wrong, but I think it's an HK91 chambered in .308. He said it's really old, got it back in the 70's.

Not too sure if it's actually on the ban list, but I do believe he did register it as a RAW after the ban. We only spoke briefly about it, without actually looking at it, it's hard to say.

short answer no.he cant even transfer it to another family member especially if its banned by make/model.what type raw are you talking about?

ghost
03-25-2011, 3:48 PM
I just spoke to him briefly over the phone, and he told me the model. I may have this wrong, but I think it's an HK91 chambered in .308. He said it's really old, got it back in the 70's.

Not too sure if it's actually on the ban list, but I do believe he did register it as a RAW after the ban. We only spoke briefly about it, without actually looking at it, it's hard to say.

if it really is a hk91 its banned by make and model in ca.so theres no way he can sell it even if he de-registered it.its only good for parts in ca and the receiver would have to be destroyed.

Oceanbob
03-25-2011, 3:56 PM

And that's bad news. He can't sell it in California. It's worth maybe $2500 or more depending on options and condition.

His only option is to sell it out of State. However, two laws must be followed.

1. Federal law says he has to use an FFL interstate.

2. California Law says he has to use a California FFL with an Assault Weapons Permit.

a. To do that, he will have to provide a copy of his Assault Weapons Confirmation Letter that the CDOJ gave him 20 years ago. If he lost that letter he will have to get another one from Sacramento. (I just did this so he can PM me on the address and person to write to) Takes about 8 days to get the new letter back in the mail.

b. Once he has his AW Confimation Letter he can then use a special FFL (assault weapons permit) to SHIP the weapon out of State. That FFL will then fill out a FORM that removes that weapon from your file.

On the slight chance he didn't register that weapon he had better be very careful. :cool:

I have some recommendations if that's the problem. PM me for that answer.

I just went thru all this to sell my UZI Carbine (a named assault weapon) and I had to get a replacement letter and use a special FFL guy.

I have 11 Registered Assault Weapons and my favorite is my HK-91..!!

Here she is:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2e0ppud.jpg

kemasa
03-25-2011, 4:22 PM
While he can not ship the firearm out of state, it can drive it out of state and then ship it or deliver it to a non-CA FFL to do the transfer or ship it. A trip to Nevada might be cheaper than other options.

Saigon1965
03-25-2011, 4:24 PM
Get the exact model number and post please -

RRichie09
03-25-2011, 4:33 PM
If I were your buddy I would hang on to it. It's priceless. Also, as others have mentioned, if he needs the cash he can just sell the upper.

While he can not ship the firearm out of state, it can drive it out of state and then ship it or deliver it to a non-CA FFL to do the transfer or ship it. A trip to Nevada might be cheaper than other options.

DId someone say Vegas?

707electrician
03-25-2011, 5:44 PM
I would keep it!

Saigon1965
03-25-2011, 5:46 PM
Back in the 60s/70s the series 91 as we now know it were being imported by several importers and were called 41s - If this was purchased then it might be an exception from the list -

Let's wait till OP get exact model number -

Heck if OP can get a picture of the rec that would be best -

And that's bad news. He can't sell it in California. It's worth maybe $2500 or more depending on options and condition.

motorwerks
03-25-2011, 6:03 PM

This!

Saigon1965
03-25-2011, 6:07 PM
HK rec are not seperate parts -

This!

motorwerks
03-25-2011, 6:08 PM
Hmm Ive seen U-bend-em kits so I figured they were. :o

Saigon1965
03-25-2011, 6:09 PM
They're not like an AR say -

motorwerks
03-25-2011, 6:10 PM
http://www.robertrtg.com/receiverflat.html

I think I've even seen them as a for sale numbered receiver but I lost my bookmarks a few months ago with a hard drive crash.

Agustav
03-25-2011, 6:12 PM
I went thru a similar situation with one of my co-worker regarding a Bulgarian AK...

The Bulgarian AK is not on the list and my co-worker is willing to unregistered the rifle and transform it into legal config. However, once the LGS heard that it used to be a RAW, they became very hesitant to do the transfer. and that is the end of that...

chesterthehero
03-25-2011, 6:28 PM
I know Im a bit long winded sometimes, but isnt that what I said?

yeah.. just without all the extra stuff...

MrPlink
03-25-2011, 6:30 PM
If I were your buddy I would hang on to it.

especially if its an HK91!!!!

Ive been drooling over those ever since the mid 80's when my older cousin had one.
Im still drooling!