PDA

View Full Version : Donations for the Moving costs.

Kestryll
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Many have asked about making donations to help with the cost of taking over and moving Calguns.
I felt a bit odd at first thinking about taking donations but the more I thought about it the more I heard my Wife saying "You spent how much on the internet!?!" :D :)

I'm kidding, she's been very supportive of this effort and she gave me a great idea. This forum is in every sense a community, Calguns is mine on paper but ours in spirit (I do retain my title as Benevolent Dictator however, to steal a line from Rush!). So in keeping with that I want to put a cap an what is acceptable donation by any one person, some very generous members have offered some hefty sums comparitively.

I will be setting up a P.O. Box shortly and will give the address for that when I have it. I do have a paypal account but am not fond of them, if anyone can suggest a firearms friendly alternative I would like to hear about it.

The cap I am thinking of is $20-25 per person, you can do anything you can or want to do below that but nothing more than that. Much the same as Calguns' forums, this will be a community effort.

Also if we get more than the costs of the move any additional funds will be set in an account for the time when we need to move to a Dedicated Server or VPS. I expect that Calguns will continue to grow an eventually need this.

As far as shirts, stickers, hats and such I will look in to those in a bit, I want a new shirt myself! But probably not until after the holidays, I have enough shopping to do!

Again, thank you all for your support both of me recently and of Calguns in general,
Kest

bg
10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Funds set aside. Soon as tha PO comes up, off it
goes. Once again thanks for all the hard work, and
lets not forget Ramon who got the ball rolling from
the beginning..Thanks buddy !

Fjold
10-30-2006, 1:02 PM
I'd like to mail a check instead of using Paypal also, just let us know where to send it when you get it set up.

DJMAN
10-30-2006, 1:06 PM
Just waiting for you to get P.O. Box . Will send mola shorty after. Thanks again.

Rascal
10-30-2006, 1:56 PM
Just let us know where to send the money, and I'll give my share.
Oh and the T-shirts, if they are made like the ones that Ramon had made up, that would be great.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Joe
10-30-2006, 2:54 PM
i still think the raffle idea would be a very good way to raise funds

Black_Talon
10-30-2006, 3:36 PM
I do have a paypal account but am not fond of them, if anyone can suggest a firearms friendly alternative I would like to hear about it.

https://www.gearpay.com/index.php

cnyankee
10-30-2006, 7:04 PM
i still think the raffle idea would be a very good way to raise funds
+1 joe.
and i am just waiting for that po box so i can send $$

FatKatMatt
10-30-2006, 7:11 PM
You'll be finding a wad of cash in the mail whenever my check I sent out for a Garand kit clears.

JimAmentler
10-30-2006, 7:36 PM
The money is set aside. Just let me know. Thank you for all you are doing!

hawk1
11-05-2006, 7:31 AM
Tagged for info

+1 on the raffle too. I have a few items that would generate interest.

bonjing
11-05-2006, 11:28 AM
just let us know when the PO box gets set up.

CALI-gula
11-05-2006, 12:03 PM
I'll donate if you bring the FOR SALE forums back. It's pure capitalism economics and the American Way. After all, if I can make some money by posting items for sale here, I can more easily give back to it, sharing the love. Same goes if I were to buy something - I'll be sure to see Calguns.net gets a few bucks for the "finder's fee" or "referral". When I sell something on Gunsamerica, I always send them the $10.00 "good faith" fee without question, and sometimes it is higher depending on the selling price.

However, while I am not a dealer, a dozen or so PPT's I might do in a year would still yield some cash back. Yet I see plenty of dealer's here posting on topics about their wares, include links to their websites in posts, with contact info and product details contained either in discussion or within their signatures. I should only hope they are giving back "10-fold" over my capability. How much do they profit off of this site?

Gunscal.com just not cutting it as far as volume or traffic of For Sale ads go. The For Sale ads here rivaled even Gunsamerica's "CA" search entry.

A variation on a proverb, "It takes money to make money - to give money."

Kestryll
11-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll donate if you bring the FOR SALE forums back.

Your a tad late there fella'! ;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

:)

CALI-gula
11-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Your a tad late there fella'! ;)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=91

:)

AWSOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!!!

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

Let me know of that P.O. Box number when you get it set-up. I too have given up on Paypal, even though I was one of the first 2000 people to have an account with them (in fact, my first purchase with Paypal had been a "Loaded" M1A from a guy in Illinois who I had turned on to Paypal - that was long before they dictated the value of the American Dollar to their liking, what you could do and not do with your money in private legal transactions, and well before they were bought by Ebay and became Anti-2nd Amendment!!

Can'thavenuthingood
11-05-2006, 5:17 PM
Kestryll, you better get that P.O Box setup pronto before these guys spend all their money on the for sale thread.

I can hear'em drooling from here:D

Vick

Kestryll
11-06-2006, 6:10 PM
The USPS has the application for a P.O. Box, I'm waiting for them to get back to me.
My tax dollars at work.

BamBam-31
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
*#%&!! Saw your name in the replies, thought you finally posted the PO Box.

Come on, USPS....

Kestryll
11-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Okay! It's time for a few new bits of info.

I had originally said I wanted to put a limit on what people could give and while I like the concept the move to a VPS has shown that the costs are a bit more than I thought and I'm not convinced we wont eventually outgrow a VPS and need to go to a dedicated server. Also several people have argued against a cap via PM and email, some very convincingly.
Because of these things I am not going to try to enforce a cap on donations. You people would likely outsmart me anyway!

I feel the need to say this because I now have a P.O. Box! The heck with the USPS, I went with a private company!
The address is:
Paul T Nordberg
7210 Jordan Ave #D10
Canoga Park, CA 91303

For those asking about paypal or gearpay, I looked at gearpay but they want my banking info to set up an account. Ever since the 'Family Fitness Checking Debacle' of the early '90's no one gets access to my bank info!:p

I may set up a gearpay account later on a seperate bank account but for now I do have a paypal account with my gmail address as listed in my profile.

The only thing Calguns can do now is grow! ;)

Addax
11-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I will throw my hat into the ring!

Let me know when the address is set up.

ldivinag
11-10-2006, 12:30 AM
i say use paypal, and in the comments "donations for keeping up a GUN related website"...

lol...

lets see if PP turns that down.

and if they do... boy, we can release a press release on how dumb their policies are...

Tunis
11-10-2006, 4:02 AM
It's a great idea! I've belonged to a board that offered Gold ($20), Silver ($10) and Bronze ($5) status for contributing to the board. This gave each contributor special features. The cost was valid for 1 year and the funds went towards operational fees as well as items such as t-shirts and decals. I feel it's a small price to pay for all the information and support found here!

Can'thavenuthingood
11-10-2006, 4:04 AM
Check is in the mail.

Well, okay not yet, I'm in my PJ's and barefoot but its all made out, licked and stamped and ready to go, waiting for the system to wake up.

Who is in charge of Calguns.net apparel like shirts, t shirts, hats, decals, mousepads, calenders, bumper stickers, belt buckles, umbrellas and socks?

Is there a Calguns.net icon, trademark, symbol or other identifier?

It was suggested by someone that it might be time for some of those fancy server racks and gizmos in order to avoid bandwidth problems. A good idea given the coming political season and looking at the success we had with the final night of the Assembly.

Prepare Calguns for the coming dustup.

Vick

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2006, 7:57 AM
Ok, I am putting a check in the mail today. Also, I am jealous of CWS's ad at the top. How do I get one? E-mail me Kes. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

Edit: Nevermind, 1hotshooter had to walk me through how simple it was to get my ad going. Still, a check will be in the mail today.

jmlivingston
11-10-2006, 8:34 AM
Who is in charge of Calguns.net apparel like shirts, t shirts, hats, decals, mousepads, calenders, bumper stickers, belt buckles, umbrellas and socks?

Is there a Calguns.net icon, trademark, symbol or other identifier?

The old admin, Ramon, used to have a round logo that I always thought would make a great sticker about the size and shape of an NRA decal often seen in the back windows of trucks.

John

Kestryll
11-10-2006, 10:04 AM
The old admin, Ramon, used to have a round logo that I always thought would make a great sticker about the size and shape of an NRA decal often seen in the back windows of trucks.

John

Do you mean this one John?
http://www.hunt101.com/img/448710.jpg

I was getting ready to email you tenpercent when the notice to approve your ad came in!

jmlivingston
11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
That's the one! I really liked that logo, the state flag and the circular shape has a nice balance and good color contrast. It would look particularly good in the back window of my Jeep. :D

John

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I was getting ready to email you tenpercent when the notice to approve your ad came in!
So did I get approved? :D

dwtt
11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
For those who have sent in a check already, who did you make it out to?
Calguns.net? Admin? Mr. Paul Nordberg?

SemiAutoSam
11-10-2006, 1:01 PM
SO that was a good idea hmmm and interesting to see that your PO BOX address is just down the street and even the same street that I lived on when I lived in chatsworth in the early 90's.

BTW as soon as I hit town a USPS money order will be headed to you.

Thanks for keeping the board up and running. and bringing back the sales forums.

Sam

Okay! It's time for a few new bits of info.

I had originally said I wanted to put a limit on what people could give and while I like the concept the move to a VPS has shown that the costs are a bit more than I thought and I'm not convinced we wont eventually outgrow a VPS and need to go to a dedicated server. Also several people have argued against a cap via PM and email, some very convincingly.
Because of these things I am not going to try to enforce a cap on donations. You people would likely outsmart me anyway!

I feel the need to say this because I now have a P.O. Box! The heck with the USPS, I went with a private company!
The address is:
Paul Nordberg
7210 Jordan Ave #D10
Canoga Park, CA 91303

For those asking about paypal or gearpay, I looked at gearpay but they want my banking info to set up an account. Ever since the 'Family Fitness Checking Debacle' of the early '90's no one gets access to my bank info!:p

I may set up a gearpay account later on a seperate bank account but for now I do have a paypal account with my gmail address as listed in my profile.

The only thing Calguns can do now is grow! ;)

Kestryll
11-10-2006, 1:10 PM
For those who have sent in a check already, who did you make it out to?
Calguns.net? Admin? Mr. Paul Nordberg?

I've always been fond of 'Urthak, evil Overlord of all that is Dark and Furry, but my bank told me that was taken so Paul T Nordberg will have to do.
I even had the 'U' embroidered on my bathrobe...

Sam you must have been around the Lassen-Devonshire area! :cool:

SemiAutoSam
11-10-2006, 1:19 PM
On Jordan between Chatsworth St and Devonshire St.
I lived there with a GF when I was attending Pierce college in Woodland Hills.

I used Google to check the old neighborhood and see that they are calling the 118 the Ronald reagan freeway very interesting.

Who remembers where the Richard M Nixon freeway was located ?

I've always been fond of 'Urthak, evil Overlord of all that is Dark and Furry, but my bank told me that was taken so Paul Nordberg will have to do.
I even had the 'U' embroidered on my bathrobe...

Sam you must have been around the Lassen-Devonshire area! :cool:

caduckgunner
11-10-2006, 2:23 PM

Richard Nixon parkway is in Yorba Linda.

SemiAutoSam
11-10-2006, 3:09 PM
Well thats all well and good but I was talking about the Richard M Nixon freeway. as in a freeway like the I10 or I5 ect it might not have been an interstate type freeway but it was at least 2 lanes in each direction of travel

Richard Nixon parkway is in Yorba Linda.

ivanimal
11-10-2006, 4:20 PM
Kes, deposit on boat sent.:D

Thank you my friend.

I mean ................Urthak.

SemiAutoSam
11-10-2006, 4:26 PM
Hey I Had a boat I could have sold ya its fast too.

Kest
How much for an ad to sell this thing on the front page or a pic of it Next to CWS ?

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/73SangerOnLake.jpg

taloft
11-10-2006, 5:15 PM
The check is cut and in the envelope. As soon as the USPS is back in business on Monday I'll drop it in the box. Don't be afraid to shake that tree again if you decide to go to a dedicated server. ;)

BamBam-31
11-11-2006, 1:43 AM
^^^What he said. :)

Satex
11-11-2006, 5:44 PM
As folks like to say "the check is in the mail" :D

peepshowal
11-13-2006, 3:58 PM
Thanks for all the hard work keeping Calguns running. Money order sent.

MrEd
11-14-2006, 1:07 AM
check will be in the mail later in the AM , thanks for the good job Kes

Kestryll
11-17-2006, 10:58 AM
I have received several letters with donations and a few by PayPal and I wanted to say thank you.
Calguns has gone from a small forum to not only a political force to be reckoned with but also to a real community. It is my hope and my endeavour that while Calguns continues to grow we will keep the feeling of community and family that has been built.

Again, thank you to those who have donated to help keep things going, we will keep Calguns alive.

Kest

tiki
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, just found this thread so I will mail my check out to you on monday.
Thanks.

naimad
12-02-2006, 2:59 PM
Who Do We Make The Money Order Out To sent

Kestryll
12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Who Do We Make The Money Order Out To

Make it out to: Paul T Nordberg

The mailing address is:
Paul T Nordberg
7210 Jordan Ave #D10
Canoga Park, CA 91303

And thank you for the help.

Paratus et Vigilans
12-05-2006, 10:09 AM

IIRC, that would be the so-called "Marina Freeway" that connects to the 405 around Fox Hills and dumps you in the tall weeds a little before you get to Lincoln - so would that be "Marina Del Rey Adjacent" in real estate lingo??

Do I win the prize for remembering that?? :D

69Mach1
12-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Check's in the mail. Thank God for Calguns.

Diablo
12-25-2006, 8:49 AM
Sorry Kestryll, I just found this thread. Paypal on the way. Thanks!

Beatone
12-25-2006, 9:43 AM
My donation will go out Tuesday. THANKS!!

Must have missed this post some how.

NextTimeAround
12-28-2006, 6:04 AM
Check is in the mail!

cho034442
12-29-2006, 1:01 PM
Another donation via paypal. Thanks for eveything and happy New Year!

m1371
12-29-2006, 6:13 PM
PayPal for Mr. Nordberg.......... :p

creed
12-29-2006, 7:29 PM
Paypal donation sent.

yallknowho
01-01-2007, 10:04 AM
whats the send-to paypal address?

hoffmang
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Paypal to: kestryll@gmail.com

-Gene

Addax
01-03-2007, 1:51 PM
Donation sent.

Thank you Calguns!

edog11
01-16-2007, 6:02 PM
Paypal sent
Thanks

rorschach
01-19-2007, 4:39 PM
PP sent. Thanks Kest

hoffmang
01-19-2007, 4:41 PM
And here i was just teasing the rorschach...

rorschach
01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
You got me!

Gunhacker
02-06-2007, 1:30 AM
Better late than never... Paypal sent.

Thanks for keeping Calguns alive!! :D

M1911
02-07-2007, 5:22 PM
Donation sent thru Paypal. Thanks a lot for making this site very informative!

Buzz
04-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Paypal to: kestryll@gmail.com

-Gene

Paypal to Kestryll.

mcubed4130
04-15-2007, 3:43 PM
Kestryll, I sent you some $$ via paypal. Just a small thank you.

-M3

Kestryll
04-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Once more I want to say thank you to those who have sent in donations, the generosity of this board is astounding.

Dayton
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Kestryll thanks again. Money sent. :) Thanks to the information on this site I've been able to get my AR15.

WokMaster1
06-03-2007, 9:41 PM
Beautiful flowers, Kes.

cho034442
06-22-2007, 1:48 PM
Thanks again for everything, Kestryll.
Donation via Paypal :)

duenor
06-23-2007, 11:40 AM
are you still taking donations?I have no idea what this is for but if it goes to calguns i am all for it.

somebody please PM me and tell me the details and what's going on, i cant figure it out by reading this thread.

Mirage
08-30-2007, 5:18 PM
Is the PO Box still open?

Kestryll
08-30-2007, 5:44 PM
The PO Box is still open and available, I must add however that the moving costs have been well covered and our operating costs are pretty darn minimal
The hosting costs of the main site here are made a non-issue by a very generous calgunner and dedicated Second Amendment supporter. This person has chosen to remain anonymous and while I understand why it means they do not get the recognition they deserve.

It's not a great expense but I do maintain server space on a seperate server to house the 'backup forum' calguns.org. just in case of an outage during a critical Assembly session or vote on a bill.

Most of our other costs are annual expenses such as renewal of the vBulletin license to maintain access to updates and security patches.
Also there is domain name registration which really isn't that much until you start locking down all the variants like .org, .us, .info and such.

Anything beyond that is a cost of time, effort and education. My Wife swears this forum is like a second full time job! ;)

It's a long answer to your question however while I appreciate anyone's willingness to donate funds I want to make sure to give full disclosure before they do. :)

kris&bela
09-20-2007, 8:47 PM
How do I pay by PAYPAL???? THANKS

tankerman
01-30-2008, 3:29 PM
Was this a one time moving cost pledge drive or are there still annual operating costs that need to covered?

Is it time for more donations?

liketoshoot
01-30-2008, 4:25 PM
Just saw that you operate via donation and would like to send some help. Do you still accept Pay-pal?
Let me know and it will be on the way.
I feel at home here for some reason, maybe it's all the noise?
Thanks for keeping this battleship up and floating.

Kestryll
01-30-2008, 4:41 PM
This was a short time deal back when we had to move servers and then quickly had to upgraded to a VPS as well as re-secure a new software license and various domain names for security. It was a bit of a frantic time and there were some instances of speed over cost efficiency.

We now have an arrangement that provides for our servers and I have locked in the software license and various domain names for the next several years.

Things may change in the future but for now we're pretty locked in.

liketoshoot
01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
This was a short time deal back when we had to move servers and then quickly had to upgraded to a VPS as well as re-secure a new software license and various domain names for security. It was a bit of a frantic time and there were some instances of speed over cost efficiency.

We now have an arrangement that provides for our servers and I have locked in the software license and various domain names for the next several years.

Things may change in the future but for now we're pretty locked in.

I have a feeling that when you need it we will all help, I know I will with what I can afford at the time.
Just let me know and I'm there.
thanks for running a very informative site.

B.C.
03-04-2008, 2:32 PM
So I'm still pretty new around here. I was searching around to find out how to donate to the website and found this thread.

I would like to thank the unnamed individual who funds the hosting of this website. Also a big thanks to the Kestrel for keeping this place running smoothly.

Anyway, great site you guys got here. Keep up the good work. :cheers2: