PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry At My Shop...

pitchbaby
03-24-2011, 10:29 PM
I'll admit, I am not much of an open carry fan in general... but as the owner of my nutrition shop, I feel perfectly comfortable doing it there. I have noticed more and more as time goes on exactly how just plain comfortable people are with it.

My store is nothing impressive I would think in terms of hosting an open carry event... especially that it would be invited by the owner, in a gun friendly county, where all the drinks come out of a glass fridge and no bar to sit at... but I am getting so much good feedback, I'm kinda' wanting to test the waters further and just have an open carry saturday with several OC'ers hangin' around for the day.

If this seems interesting to anyone in the greater Sacramento area... reply or PM me and let's decide if this could be something worthwhile to do.

Liberty1
03-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Why not make it a general calguns.net / foundation / oc / cc / information / customer appreciation event? You could have info on getting carry licenses too. All that and get some new customers. I'd recommend advertising potassium iodine discounted a little off its $300 high to pack them in also.

I too have found OC to be accepted by the general public when I was doing it (not now for political/stratigic/legislative reasons).

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Never bothered to stock P-I on the shelf... we're a muscle shop... but I have a good source for it... Not sure what my cost would be. I can't imagine selling it for $300 bucks though... is that just some freaking sort of consumer rape?!?! I'll check prices on that in the morning.

As for getting concealed carry info out... I find that I do that quite a bit when customer's see my weapon. I'd be happy to print app's though for peep's at an "event". I could probably get an FFL to throw in some ammo for a raffle or something too. Could be fun... I have an outdoor area fenced off in front of my store... we should have tables for a sit down area.

ChrisTKHarris
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I thought you had the ability to carry a loaded weapon as the owner/with permission from the owner?

Andy Taylor
03-25-2011, 7:03 AM
Where is your shop? I might stop by when I am in the area.

Coded-Dude
03-25-2011, 7:27 AM
I don't consider myself a health nut(never really shopped at those kinds of places), but would be more than happy to come in a offer up some patronage.

Pat Riot
03-25-2011, 7:48 AM
Why not make it a general calguns.net / foundation / oc / cc / information / customer appreciation event? You could have info on getting carry licenses too. All that and get some new customers.

Agreed. "2nd Amendment supporters appreciation event. Come one come all, carry as you wish within limits of the law." Some info on CA gun laws, and some free samples perhaps?

goodlookin1
03-25-2011, 7:55 AM
Yeah, if this is really "your shop" and you decide what goes, why not carry concealed, or LOC?

FatCity67
03-25-2011, 8:10 AM
Guns and Nutrition. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

1st annual Calguns Fitness and Firearms Event. Kind of catchy don't you think?

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 8:21 AM
Yeah, if this is really "your shop" and you decide what goes, why not carry concealed, or LOC?

I never said I wasn't loaded.... :D

I do conceal sometimes as well.... usually when i see the motherly type walking in with smaller kids... I flap my shirt over it.

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 8:21 AM
Guns and Nutrition. Sounds like a winning combo to me.

1st annual Calguns Fitness and Firearms Event. Kind of catchy don't you think?

Now that is something I like.... LOL!

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 8:22 AM
Where is your shop? I might stop by when I am in the area.

2164 Sunset Blvd #201
Rocklin

It's called Norcal Nutrition... the sign is my avatar.

USMC VET
03-25-2011, 8:30 AM
I drive by there all the time, count me in to stop by for some support when you have it!!!

Coded-Dude
03-25-2011, 8:39 AM
lol, yep your right down the road from me too. I'm over on washington and pleasant grove.

voiceofreason
03-25-2011, 8:45 AM
I would love to have a list of PRO-2nd Amendment businesses to frequent in the SoCal area.

Coded-Dude
03-25-2011, 8:52 AM
it looks like you are just barely over 1k feet from an elementary school.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9602/gfsz.th.jpg (http://img718.imageshack.us/i/gfsz.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 9:03 AM
it looks like you are just barely over 1k feet from an elementary school.

I know right... so ridiculous that we even have to check!

Window_Seat
03-25-2011, 9:26 AM
I like the idea.

If I were holding an event like this, I would pick up a bunch of Pocket Constitutions (https://secure.heritage.org/pocketconstitutions/), and hand them out as a free gift to those who come in carrying, and not carrying.

I have picked up around 100 copies in the past, and have handed just about everyone of them out, and most who receive one are very delighted to receive a copy.

Erik.

ChrisTKHarris
03-25-2011, 9:33 AM
I need a pre-workout creatine/L-argenine supplement.

J.D.Allen
03-25-2011, 1:30 PM
Too far for me, sorry

SkatinJJ
03-25-2011, 6:23 PM
I can be driving through Rocklin in late April and buy a few things. I like to do business with fellow gunnies.

Owing to all the places through which I'll be driving, all the firearms will be secured within the luggage. I'll put an Easter bunny in a holster though and OC that. :D

Semper FI!!!

JJ

Liberty1
03-25-2011, 6:39 PM
Take silver rounds or coins in trade for stock and you'll pull in a whole other group of patrons too! You could be Freedom Nutrition for all tried, hungry, and poor Californians yearning to be free! Better still get into the long storage food and water supplies and add mail order and I'm in too!!!

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 7:37 PM
Take silver rounds or coins in trade for stock and you'll pull in a whole other group of patrons too! You could be Freedom Nutrition for all tried, hungry, and poor Californians yearning to be free! Better still get into the long storage food and water supplies and add mail order and I'm in too!!!

HAHA... Funny you would say that... our mass building and protein powders are a healthy part of my "storage" plan... hehe

pitchbaby
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I can be driving through Rocklin in late April and buy a few things. I like to do business with fellow gunnies.

Owing to all the places through which I'll be driving, all the firearms will be secured within the luggage. I'll put an Easter bunny in a holster though and OC that. :D

Semper FI!!!

JJ

I'll let you carry one of mine... HAHA!

GrizzlyGuy
03-26-2011, 6:25 AM
HAHA... Funny you would say that... our mass building and protein powders are a healthy part of my "storage" plan... hehe

You could serve your own version of Survivalist's Thrive Shakes (http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/thrive_to_survive_premium_nutr.html) at the open carry events:

This shake is extremely useful during TEOTWAWKI situations. First, all ingredients can be stored refrigerated for many years, and some without refrigeration. Second, all ingredients can be found in powdered form and can be premixed (yes, they actually make powdered honey). Third, it is the most nutrient dense food per weight packed, if a bug out situation is called for.

Best Source of Whey Powder

Whey protein is ubiquitous in body building protein powders...

If you sold the dry mix in #10 cans with a guaranteed shelf life of 5+ years I think you'd make a "killing". :cool:

pitchbaby
03-26-2011, 7:17 AM
You could serve your own version of Survivalist's Thrive Shakes (http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/thrive_to_survive_premium_nutr.html) at the open carry events:

If you sold the dry mix in #10 cans with a guaranteed shelf life of 5+ years I think you'd make a "killing". :cool:

We can get a whey protein out of a supplier in Canada.... it is a clean whey isolate that has zero flavor and fillers. Mixes incredibly well into water and can be used for baking protein into cookies and cakes.

I rarely stock it cause it sits on the shelf for so terribly long. Rarely do people want something without some sort of flavor. As for me, I think it is the best thing for when making smoothies and shakes. Comes in 5 lbs tubs.

If there is really an interest... I'll do a group buy at a crazy discount.

negolien
03-26-2011, 7:20 AM
Does your buisness insurance company know that you openly carry? I'd check that part of it out to make sure it doesnt void any of your insurance. thought ya needed some kind of a licance or soething but no idea just curious.

pitchbaby
03-26-2011, 8:06 AM
Does your buisness insurance company know that you openly carry? I'd check that part of it out to make sure it doesnt void any of your insurance. thought ya needed some kind of a licance or soething but no idea just curious.

I've been an insurance agent (Still am actually) for close to 14 years now... so I got that part handled... but thanks for asking just the same.

(I've got the only nutrition shop in town where you can get healthy and buy health insurance all in one stop... LOL)

scrat
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
damn norcal. too bad. if it was so cal i would come by.

pitchbaby
03-26-2011, 10:52 AM
damn norcal. too bad. if it was so cal i would come by.

OK, your twisting my arm... I'll ship you product... but only if your carrying your carrying when you put in your order... LOL!

pitchbaby
04-27-2011, 10:55 PM
OK... I am really thinking about getting on the ball and setting a date for this event. Even if not an "Open Carry" event, I am still wanting to do a 2nd Amendment day and perhaps tie it in with Armed Forces Day which falls on this year's calendar on May 21rst. Although I always have Military, LEO, and fire discounts of 10%, I am thinking of adding an extra 5% for military for that day and opening up the 10% for the day to all Calguns and/or NRA members. Perhaps even a BBQ grill and free hotdogs or something like that.

Whatchya' all think?

Sacramento Black Rifle
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Let us know if we can help!

Theseus
04-28-2011, 3:48 AM
I thought you had the ability to carry a loaded weapon as the owner/with permission from the owner?

IIRC, for loaded in a public place you have to have a posessory interest for loaded, not just permission. I believe the permission come into play for concealed though.

As always, I will leave someone else to find the law. I am just too tired of having to read PC anymore. This might change when my appeal wins. Ha ha.

I know right... so ridiculous that we even have to check!

Although I don't recommend relying on it and thus having to use it; we should have argued that the parking lot still constituted within a business.

FatCity67
04-28-2011, 7:17 AM
OK... I am really thinking about getting on the ball and setting a date for this event. Even if not an "Open Carry" event, I am still wanting to do a 2nd Amendment day and perhaps tie it in with Armed Forces Day which falls on this year's calendar on May 21rst. Although I always have Military, LEO, and fire discounts of 10%, I am thinking of adding an extra 5% for military for that day and opening up the 10% for the day to all Calguns and/or NRA members. Perhaps even a BBQ grill and free hotdogs or something like that.

Whatchya' all think?

Go for it. If I'm free i'll take the drive up there. I can hit BlackRifle while i'm at it. Been wanting an excuse to spend the gas money to go there. Just started my annual get back inshape for fall hunting routine and need to stockup on isopure anywhey. Do you carry isopure?

I open carry
04-28-2011, 7:35 AM
I would love to have a list of PRO-2nd Amendment businesses to frequent in the SoCal area.

Here you go,
http://www.contracostaopencarry.org/do-and--do-not-patronize-list.php

CalBear
04-28-2011, 7:39 AM
IIRC, for loaded in a public place you have to have a posessory interest for loaded, not just permission. I believe the permission come into play for concealed though.

As always, I will leave someone else to find the law. I am just too tired of having to read PC anymore. This might change when my appeal wins. Ha ha.

Although I don't recommend relying on it and thus having to use it; we should have argued that the parking lot still constituted within a business.
The owner of the business can carry as he pleases inside -- CCW or LOC. I believe the possessory interest thing comes from some case law. I think you need to have a controlling authority in who can enter the business to qualify for an exemption.

Coded-Dude
04-28-2011, 7:51 AM

Whatchya' all think?

I'll swing in and check the place out...might even buy something. :D

pitchbaby
04-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Go for it. If I'm free i'll take the drive up there. I can hit BlackRifle while i'm at it. Been wanting an excuse to spend the gas money to go there. Just started my annual get back inshape for fall hunting routine and need to stockup on isopure anywhey. Do you carry isopure?

I used isopure for years and actually sell the pre-mixed bottles of it. However, I have found the best isolate powder for taste and absorption into the water to be Isoflex. After seeing isopure sit on shelves for months at a time and expiring in other shop's we decided to just keep the isoflex in stock cause it is a good mover and very tasty! You can try it while there.

pitchbaby
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I honestly gave little thought to this since initially trying to come up with a date because I just couldn't figure out with my wife how to get the time away from family obligations to make this work for the 5-21 proposed date. Now, however with the news of the day with Richards v Prieto and AB 144, I feel to want to act quickly to do something.

Read the following link... and hope to see you there!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=433818

hvengel
05-17-2011, 2:20 PM
Never bothered to stock P-I on the shelf... we're a muscle shop... but I have a good source for it... Not sure what my cost would be. I can't imagine selling it for $300 bucks though... is that just some freaking sort of consumer rape?!?! I'll check prices on that in the morning.

Yes it consumer rape. I got some before the Japan earth quake and I paid around $12 for a bottle of 120 32mg KI (25mg of iodine per pill) (K is the correct symbol for potassium by the way) from the local heath food store. I just ran out a few days ago but the last time I was in the store (about a week ago) they had them for about the same price. Also online this is the same thing:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1486&bih=955&q=potassium+iodide&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3103594680695282545&sa=X&ei=1vLSTZbAL5C-sQP_mtShCQ&ved=0CHoQ8wIwBA#

$9.00 plus shipping.

Most people do not get enough iodine since the only real source for it in our food supply is iodized salt and many of us have been cautioned to avoid salt and most Americans are deficient.

pitchbaby
05-17-2011, 3:27 PM
Ya... I found a couple sources for it since that part of the thread. The high quality one that I would likely choose to sell if I were to carry one would still only go for 20 bucks a bottle... and that is top of the line. In other words... it is cheap stuff.

Anchors
05-17-2011, 3:50 PM
I wish you were down here. I'm going to need some good protein soon.

I think you should open carry and flip your shirt over it when you see the "anti type" come in like you said you do.
I know this isn't ideal, but you have a business to run and a lot of the people I've met that are into fitness are also very liberal "green" type of people (and often anti-gun).

Can't go scaring uninformed fools out of your shop.
My dad is a personal trainer that owns his own private gym in Florida and has a CCW. He doesn't carry at work so he doesn't have to get into politics with his clients, but I think he keeps a revolver in the desk. Not sure.

PS doctors have advised that taking PI is pretty bad for you and isn't going to save all of you from radiation. I wouldn't go down that road.

pitchbaby
05-17-2011, 3:57 PM
I wish you were down here. I'm going to need some good protein soon.

I think you should open carry and flip your shirt over it when you see the "anti type" come in like you said you do.
I know this isn't ideal, but you have a business to run and a lot of the people I've met that are into fitness are also very liberal "green" type of people (and often anti-gun).

Can't go scaring uninformed fools out of your shop.
My dad is a personal trainer that owns his own private gym in Florida and has a CCW. He doesn't carry at work so he doesn't have to get into politics with his clients, but I think he keeps a revolver in the desk. Not sure.

PS doctors have advised that taking PI is pretty bad for you and isn't going to save all of you from radiation. I wouldn't go down that road.

Your always welcome to phone in your order... hehe Ya, I have flipped my shirt over a few times, but more so lately I don't worry about it. I have found through experience that people are extremely welcoming of the open carry I do.

paul0660
05-17-2011, 4:04 PM
I do conceal sometimes as well.... usually when i see the motherly type walking in with smaller kids... I flap my shirt over it.

Why? In for a penny, in for a pound.

And, for someone who isn't an open carry fan........well............

pitchbaby
05-17-2011, 5:01 PM
Why? In for a penny, in for a pound.

And, for someone who isn't an open carry fan........well............

Personally, I am not a fan of open carry, but really because I feel it is asking for trouble when out and about. When in my own personal domain though, business or home, I really have little concern over the same sort of trouble.