PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS's - New, Unissued with C&R Status?

milsurplover
10-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I've read about some Yugo SKS M59/66 rifles typically advertised as "new, unissued" rifles that may not actually be military surplus. Evidently they are brand new rifles of recent manufacture that are classified as "C&R?"

In researching these I've read something about the BATFE setting a 1992 cutoff date for the receiver so it's considered C&R eligible.

Does anyone have an additional insight and hard info on these "new production" M59/66 rifles? How is it that they can be legally imported? I suppose the '92 and before receivers could be put together with brand-new barrels and other parts?

Mssr. Eleganté
10-29-2006, 1:05 PM
I've read about some Yugo SKS M59/66 rifles typically advertised as "new, unissued" rifles that may not actually be military surplus. Evidently they are brand new rifles of recent manufacture that are classified as "C&R?"

I thought that was just a rumor. People have suggested that Zastava is putting some of the M59/66's together from "new old stock" parts. Has more evidence surfaced?

In researching these I've read something about the BATFE setting a 1992 cutoff date for the receiver so it's considered C&R eligible.

Yes, the ATF lists only Yugo SKS's made until 1992 as C&R...

"Yugoslavian manufactured rifles M59 and M59/66, 7.62 x 39mm caliber, all semiautomatic variations and having a fixed magazine, manufactured from 1947 to 1992"

Does anyone have an additional insight and hard info on these "new production" M59/66 rifles? How is it that they can be legally imported? I suppose the '92 and before receivers could be put together with brand-new barrels and other parts?

IF Zastava or the exporter or the importer are building brand new M59/66's out of new parts then these rifles can't be imported legally. They would be banned under the 1990 import ban based on the "evil" features they have. But if Zastava is refurbishing rifles that were originally manufactured in 1992 or earlier, then they would be legal to import.

milsurplover
10-29-2006, 7:40 PM
IFBut if Zastava is refurbishing rifles that were originally manufactured in 1992 or earlier, then they would be legal to import.

Good info...For sure I don't know all the details of what 'refurbishing' means? I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.

This might be 'refurbished?'

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/MilSurpLover/sks_3.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/MilSurpLover/sks_2.jpg

rkt88edmo
10-29-2006, 9:41 PM
I thought all of the "un issued" yugos were actually unissued after having been rearsenaled?

Steyr_223
10-30-2006, 1:55 PM
That is a pretty rifle.

MinorDMaverick
11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I thought all of the "un issued" yugos were actually unissued after having been rearsenaled?

No, some were made, stored, and never issued. During the Yugoslavian civil war the Serbian side was the only side that had enough M70 rifles (yugo ak-47) and didn't need the sks. Those stayed packed away and were never issued. For the other sides (Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo) weapons were in short supply and any available weapons were pressed into service. So, some were used, some were used/rebuilt, and some were never used.

TheMan
11-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Good info...For sure I don't know all the details of what 'refurbishing' means? I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.

This might be 'refurbished?'

That one looks nearly as clean as the one I picked up recently. It did come with almost no cosmoline on the stock, which was odd compared to the other Yugo SKS I bought. Mine was sold as unissued, and it truly does seem unissued, and not just refurbished. If it were disassembled and reassembled, I'd see some scratches somewhere. The receiver cover had zero scratches on it, as if it had never been opened up. Even the bolts looked like they weren't touched. All numbers matched of course. Mine did have the penciled in numbers, in addition to the stamped factory serial numbers.

Rascal
11-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Those penciled in numbers is a sign that your Yugo was in fact refurbished.
If it was a "unissued" rifle, all the markings would have been stamped alike.
Now here's the possible reason that they said it was "unissued". When it was refurbished, it was boxed up and never "RE-issued". Many times the records for the rifles that was being refurbished were thrown away and new records were made, so one would never know for sure that it was issued or not, just by looking at the records. The only way to really tell is if all the numbers matched AND were stamped. The Yugo armorers didn't have the time to stamp replaced parts, they penciled them in with an electric pencil, to save time and effort.

TheMan
11-11-2006, 12:07 PM
What you said would make sense, apart from the fact that I said that the parts ARE all stamped with the same part number. As you would expect from an unissued, all numbers matching gun.

They just have an electro penciled in part number, in addition to the stamped part number, on at least some of the parts. The electro penciled part number is different, and it is on at least the trigger housing, and if I remember right, it was on other parts when I opened them up. The stock has the same number in pencil instead of electropencil. It is right next to the trigger housing. There is no way the stock ever saw use, it is in absolutely perfect shape, and the stamped number is in perfect shape.

The penciled in number is very different from the stamped number. Ther rifle stamped serial number is 6547xx, and the electropenciled number is 685xx.

milsurplover
11-12-2006, 12:00 PM
What you said would make sense, apart from the fact that I said that the parts ARE all stamped with the same part number. As you would expect from an unissued, all numbers matching gun.

They just have an electro penciled in part number, in addition to the stamped part number, on at least some of the parts. The electro penciled part number is different, and it is on at least the trigger housing, ....

I think every single Yugo I have (20+) have an EP'd or penciled (actually a lead pencil) number written on them somewhere. These seem to be importer identification or inventory numbers?

TheMan
11-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I think every single Yugo I have (20+) have an EP'd or penciled (actually a lead pencil) number written on them somewhere. These seem to be importer identification or inventory numbers?

Mine came with a red tag on the trigger, like the one in the above picture. The serial # listed on the red tag was the stamped serial number. The tag also had an inventory number, which was different than the stamped or penciled serial number. The tag is in all English, which would make me think it had something to do with the importation. So I am guessing that the penciled numbers weren't from importation, but rather were something that were done while they were still in Yugoslavia.

I popped open the magazine on mine, and that same number was also penciled in on the side of the mag. So in addition to the stock and trigger housing thats at least 3 places it was put on the rifle.

milsurplover
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Mine came with a red tag on the trigger, like the one in the above picture. ...

Same thing for these red tagged items of mine...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/MilSurpLover/LoadMe.jpg

TheMan
11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Are those in as good a condition as they look in the photo? That is a great collection!

It looks like someone has another possible answer for that second set of numbers

http://sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21000&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Colt1917 responded to your post(assuming it was you, same screen name), and mentioned that new unissued would have a second set of part numbers penciled on, because that was used on the production line.

milsurplover
11-12-2006, 2:07 PM
Are those in as good a condition as they look in the photo? That is a great collection!

It looks like someone has another possible answer for that second set of numbers

http://sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21000&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Colt1917 responded to your post(assuming it was you, same screen name), and mentioned that new unissued would have a second set of part numbers penciled on, because that was used on the production line.

Yea...I read Colt1917's post and evidently didn't absord the comment about the EP's/penciled numbers being 'temporary assembly' tags. Makes sense...

Also, the items are in great shape. They are going into a collection I'm building for my kids. I'm putting in two of each item I can get - for their future spouses or kids. So far I have various origins of "SKS," K31's, Mosins of every caliber (38, 44, 91/30 - but not every origin!), Mauser K98's, Steyr 95, SMLE's and a few oddballs This idea of assembling a collection for my kids gives me an altruistic excuse for indulging my this hobby and offers me lots of opportunities for Genuine Encounter Moment's (GEM's) with the kids - even the boyfriends of my daughters who aren't real excited about their collections (daughters that is.)

And who knows? These things gotta at least hold their value!?

MSL

Rascal
11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Same thing for these red tagged items of mine...

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/MilSurpLover/LoadMe.jpg

How did you get them into the state with the GL's still on them, or are they the new Tapco muzzle brakes.

TheMan
11-12-2006, 11:15 PM
How did you get them into the state with the GL's still on them, or are they the new Tapco muzzle brakes.

He got them into the state easily. I think he is in Az. No problems with the grenade launchers there.

I have a Tapco brake sitting here, but it appears to be every bit as illegal as what came stock on the rifle. Although I can't seem to find the paperwork now, I remember seeing a DOJ letter somewhere that said the outside diameter of the brake needed to be either less than 21mm or greater than 23mm, so that the 22mm grenade would not fit. The Tapco brake is just about the same size as stock, at 21.9mm.

In the rifle forum, someone mentioned something about "combo" devices being legal. That is to say, if it was a grenade launcher and a flash hider or muzzle brake, it would be legal. But they provided nothing definitive to back this up.

If the combo device were true, the Tapco brake would be legal. So if someone else has more proof of this, I'd certainly like to hear it.

milsurplover
11-13-2006, 9:10 AM
He got them into the state easily. I think he is in Az. No problems with the grenade launchers there.

Yep...AZ...

Also, I've been looking into what needs to be done to these to make them CA legal. There is a lot of confusing and conflicting info out there. A number of these regulations seem so silly.

bwiese
11-13-2006, 9:35 AM
Yep...AZ...

Also, I've been looking into what needs to be done to these to make them CA legal. There is a lot of confusing and conflicting info out there. A number of these regulations seem so silly.

Do what InterOrdnance does (or did). For $15? $20? they weld a sleeve over the GL. Looks ungainly but it at least gets your gun in shootable condition.

Removing the G/L and replacing with a thread protector would also work.

There's no BATF/922(r) issues with G/L disablement for states that ban G/Ls.

7.62x39 really doesn't need a brake.