PDA

View Full Version : Need Re Assurance - Education

imtheomegaman
03-24-2011, 1:05 PM
Hypothetical, seriously:

Older AK style rifle, clears all the way through the AW flowchart (thanks Calguns, that is an amazing tool). I get confused when it comes to magazines. In order to legally use the high (or normal) capacity magazines I'm reading it to say that you CANNOT have a bullet button?

So the bb is only required for 10> magazines? That doesn't make sense to me.

repubconserv
03-24-2011, 1:10 PM
no BB with hi cap mags. fixed hi cap magazine creates AW

You also need to legally aquire the "hi caps" and you can only use them in RAW or featureless rifle

It's cali. The law makers are as stupid (possibly more so) than a bag of rocks

Big D
03-24-2011, 1:15 PM
Not just no BB. Featureless, which means it has no features which would make it an AW, pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock,vertical foregrip.

762.DEFENSE
03-24-2011, 1:15 PM
If your rifle has a fixed magazine (ie an SKS, or a rifle with a BB) you can not have magazines larger than 10 rounds, or else you have created an AW. If you go featureless- or- have a Registered Assault Weapon (RAW) with the DOJ, you can run legally purchased, and possessed magazines with 10> capacity prior to Jan 2000.

So if you run your AK with a Kydex Wrap, MMG etc. with no "evil features" you could run any AK Mags you have legally obtained in your possession with the capacity to go over 10 rounds. (ie 20,30 round mags or even a 75 round drum).

imtheomegaman
03-24-2011, 1:26 PM
So, a Saiga modified to accept AK mags is good to go?

Big D
03-24-2011, 1:38 PM
In Ca. Yes, but then you have to worry about compliance with Federal laws

imtheomegaman
03-24-2011, 2:07 PM
Big D, what Federal law?

West9319
03-24-2011, 3:00 PM
922r, that federal law.

djleisure
03-24-2011, 3:23 PM
You can read up on 922r here... feel free to come back and ask questions though, it can be kinda confusing! :)
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

imtheomegaman
03-24-2011, 4:15 PM
Hmmm, I am very confused. @#$%@#$ gun laws just can't be logical

"However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922(r) compliance."

So if the Saiga were modified, it would still have to go through a rebuild to comply with 922r, just in case?

And what of my initial question, is that correct, featureless AK no bullet button OK to use normal capacity mags?

Specifically a KBI sporter, which I cannot find on any ban list, saw one in a for sale thread from '07 and like it.

djleisure
03-24-2011, 4:17 PM
Hmmm, I am very confused. @#$%@#$ gun laws just can't be logical AGREED!

"However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922(r) compliance."

So if the Saiga were modified, it would still have to go through a rebuild to comply with 922r, just in case? YES!

And what of my initial question, is that correct, featureless AK no bullet button OK to use normal capacity mags? YES!

Specifically a KBI sporter, which I cannot find on any ban list, saw one in a for sale thread from '07 and like it. GO FOR IT!

Answers in bold.

imtheomegaman
03-24-2011, 4:22 PM
sigh, thanks

imtheomegaman
03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
sorry guys, I am truly trying to figure this out:
at what point would the kbi fall under 922r restrictions?

djleisure
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
sorry guys, I am truly trying to figure this out:
at what point would the kbi fall under 922r restrictions?
I think your question has already been answered, but maybe you don't want to hear that answer? There is no hard and fast rule about what "sporting purpose" is, only your comfort level with tangling with the law. Reread the link I posted earlier on 922r - that's still the answer. ;)

imtheomegaman
03-28-2011, 1:45 PM
read it a ton, that link referred to the Saiga specifically, and I think I actually have my mind "somewhat" around that. It's a KBI that I was asking about, I can see that if you modify a Saiga to accept a high cap, you need 922r compliance. What about an unmodified KBI? Good to go?

edited to add: I really not trying to be obtuse (I'm just naturally good at it). I really want to understand this, and I am giving advice to a good friend who knows I read Calguns quite a bit, and I want to make sure that the advice is correct, not just more FUD that he could get for free at a local gun shop.