PDA

View Full Version : looking for lever action .22LR that does NOT use a tube magazine

Hornet_RN
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
hey,

my uncle and i have been looking all over for a lever action .22LR rifle for plinking.

he wants it to be like the ones in his old cowboy movies where all the cartridges are loaded from the side, similar to the centerfire lever action rifles. however, all we find are those tube magazine rifles, which he doesn't want.

does a .22LR lever rifle that i just described exist?

thanks
Hornet_RN

Ripon83
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-action.cfm

Made in America and priced right - well according to the ad. I can't say I've ever seen someone complain about one of these?

Peter.Steele
03-24-2011, 12:23 PM
hey,

my uncle and i have been looking all over for a lever action .22LR rifle for plinking.

he wants it to be like the ones in his old cowboy movies where all the cartridges are loaded from the side, similar to the centerfire lever action rifles. however, all we find are those tube magazine rifles, which he doesn't want.

thanks
Hornet_RN

The reason that they're loaded from the side is because they're feeding rounds into the tube. The rifles in those cowboy movies had tube magazines.

There were a couple of box-type magazine lever guns made - Winchester 1895, for one - but so far as I know they all load from the top. And more to the point, Win 1895's don't come in .22.

So why exactly is it that a tube magazine is evil?

BayAreaShooter
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
hey,

thanks
Hornet_RN

I have been wanting the exact same thing and was going to start a thread about it but you beat me too it. :D

BayAreaShooter
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
The reason that they're loaded from the side is because they're feeding rounds into the tube. The rifles in those cowboy movies had tube magazines.

There were a couple of box-type magazine lever guns made - Winchester 1895, for one - but so far as I know they all load from the top. And more to the point, Win 1895's don't come in .22.

So why exactly is it that a tube magazine is evil?

From what I have heard from the OP I don't think the tube is and issue he just does not want to have to pull out the "plunger" or whatever you call it and load directly into the tube he wants a traditional side feed lever action in .22. I could be wrong but thats what I got from his post.

BayAreaShooter
03-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Made in America and priced right - well according to the ad. I can't say I've ever seen someone complain about one of these?

I think this is exactly what he does not want.

clcolin81
03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
That's what I got from it too. Something you can load from the shooting position without having to tip the barrel upwards and pull out a seperate piece. If so, I'd like to find this too. I don't think anyone will make it though. I'm not too familiar with lever guns, so correct me if I'm wrong, but in larger cartridge lever actions I think you have to put your thumb partially into the loading port to get it all the way into the magazine tube. If so, you may not be able to do that with a .22 due to the smaller size cartridge.

bohoki
03-24-2011, 1:23 PM
ruger made a neat one i think called the 96 maybe you can find one used

ken worth
03-24-2011, 1:46 PM
I have the Henry lever action 22 and I love it. I don't think that your going to have any luck finding a 22 that loads through a side door.
I also have a 357 mag/38spl lever action that loads through the side door and its very hard on the thumb to load it. in 22 it would be a lot harder to load. I don't shoot it as much as I would like because its so hard on my thumb.

tonelar
03-24-2011, 1:49 PM

Nope/ they load from the muzzle end of their tube as well. Even in cenNterfire.

From what I have heard from the OP I don't think the tube is and issue he just does not want to have to pull out the "plunger" or whatever you call it and load directly into the tube he wants a traditional side feed lever action in .22. I could be wrong but thats what I got from his post.

I've never seen a 22 lever gun that loaded through a gate in the receiver.
The discontinued Ruger 96/22 feeds from a 10rnd rotary mag ala 10/22.
http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/96-22M1.jpg
http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9146505.0

barrym66
03-24-2011, 2:00 PM
There is/was only one side loading 22 rimfire lever action made, the Marlin Model 1891 rifle (and of those, only the first 5,000 made back in 1891-1897!). You may be able to find one on Gunbroker or Guns America.

How bad do you want one? Just Googled some auction sales results, and in good condition they are over $10K!!! That's one rare and pricey 22 to use for plinking.

Here's an online article on it... http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/Marlin-Model-Lever-Action-Rifle176-1.html

BayAreaShooter
03-24-2011, 2:24 PM
Nope/ they load from the muzzle end of their tube as well. Even in cenNterfire.

I've never seen a 22 lever gun that loaded through a gate in the receiver.
The discontinued Ruger 96/22 feeds from a 10rnd rotary mag ala 10/22.
http://www.lipseys.com/eImages/96-22M1.jpg
http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9146505.0

O crap how have I never heard of a 96/22. I have to have one now.

Hornet_RN
03-24-2011, 2:37 PM
hmm...it sounds like they don't make a new production lever action rifle that my uncle and i were looking for, we might have to just settle with getting one of those where we have to pull out the plunger from the muzzle end. ehh...oh well.

or maybe, we should just let go of buying a .22LR, and get a centerfire .45 LC or .44 mag or .357 mag or a .44-40? heh heh

barrym66
03-24-2011, 3:43 PM
Don't give up on the .22 lever action - loading a tube magazine is not all that much of a pain (just pretend it's an original tube fed Henry or Spencer rifle!), and the small lever actions are a blast to shoot.

I have two Henry 22's, a Frontier and a Carbine, and they are simple and reliable, with a smooth action, and very accurate for the price. I also have two Win 94's (in 30-30 and 30WS) and two Marlin's (1894 in .38/357 and a 336 in 30-30), and the Henry is the plinker I reach for most often when I want to play Cowboy and Indians at the range.

I forgot - Winchester also made the 1894 in a .22 single shot/semi-auto version (the Winchester 9422 Legacy), but it is tube fed as well. Marlin also made the Model 39 (a great rifle and my choice if I was buying used), as well as the 56 or 57 'levermatics'. These use a box magazine (56) or tube magazine (57).

Plenty of choices!

dfletcher
03-24-2011, 5:57 PM
Didn't Marlin and Winchester make a 22 lever that fed from a magazine? Quite a while ago IIRC.

clcolin81
03-24-2011, 7:49 PM
There is/was only one side loading 22 rimfire lever action made, the Marlin Model 1891 rifle (and of those, only the first 5,000 made back in 1891-1897!). You may be able to find one on Gunbroker or Guns America.

How bad do you want one? Just Googled some auction sales results, and in good condition they are over $10K!!! That's one rare and pricey 22 to use for plinking.

Here's an online article on it... http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/Marlin-Model-Lever-Action-Rifle176-1.html

This article says this one is loaded by the front using the two piece magazine also. I honestly think such a gun doesn't exist.

TKM
03-24-2011, 8:30 PM
O crap how have I never heard of a 96/22. I have to have one now.

They also made a 96/22 magnum that was a straight barrel swap for the 17 HMR, same magazine.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-24-2011, 8:47 PM
They probably don't make a .22LR lever gun that you can load the tube magazine through a loading gate because of the danger of setting off a round if the loading gate crushed the cartridge rim. The soft lead projectiles getting smooshed out of shape during the loading process is also probably a factor.

bjl333
03-24-2011, 9:33 PM
Just go with a Winchester 9422, or Henry Lever. They are fun so shoot, so what if you can't load from the side.

G-forceJunkie
03-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I've never seen what it seem the OP wants. Closest I have seen is Browning used to make a take down model where the tube was in the stock and you fed it from the right side of the stock after pulling the plunger out of the butt stock. Basically, backwards from a normal underbarrel tube magazine.

dangerranger
03-27-2011, 11:06 AM
the soft lead 22lr bullits would get bent out of shape pushing them through the loading gate.they have made several lever actions that were mag feed tho. Marlin Revelation, Ruger 96, and Brownings BL22, are three that come to mind. DR

KTM RICK
03-27-2011, 7:22 PM
I have a Henry Golden Boy HMR.17 Lever action tube fed. Made in the USA. One of my favorite guns!

acmetim
03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
i once had an ithaca lever action, but it was a falling block single shot. if the finish on the lever was better and the eject was 100% reliable i would have never sold it. sounds like single shot is not what you want though- otherwise there are the stevens favorites by savage

Fireguy
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't remember seeing a model 96/22, but when they were out I wasn't in the market for a lever gun. I would like one now, what is the going price for one. I found an ad for one and they went for $325 new.
I think this would be a fun first gun for my grand kids. I don't want to start themout on a semi auto. Any help finding one would be great.