PDA

View Full Version : My bittersweet CCW

vinson
03-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I wanted to give a huge shout out to my fellow Calgunners for enabling an American citizen to exercise his rights to carry a weapon. I am so impressed with my fellow Calgunners and I see their participation on other related web sites defending California rights!! As we all have experienced, it took about 4.5 months and around $500 to get er done but I received my CCW yesterday by registered mail from the County Sheriffs office. I was tickled and thankful that the logistical and lengthy process was finally over. Much to my chagrin, when I looked over the permit, the sheriff's office had only included one gun out of the two that I had paid to qualify with and had submitted on my application. Unfortunately, the gun on the permit was not my go to CCW firearm. I don't have a concealable holster yet for the permitted weapon. Needless to say I was very frustrated because I did my part but the sheriff's office dropped the ball and only included one firearm. (Seems this type of stuff always happens to me). So I called the sheriff's office to rectify the situation hoping that they would realize their mistake and make a quick correction as it is very hard to make weekday appts for CCW matters. I was essentially told to get to the back of the line and make an appointment. I did mention that this was no fault of my own and asked that maybe I could just slip in and fix it. I was told "mistakes happen" and "we're swamped". No sympathy whatsoever. Bummer. I hesitated to write this script as I am very grateful to have a CCW, but couldn't hold back my disappointment none the less.

Robidouxs
03-24-2011, 11:37 AM
If you can tell us, what county are you in?

lgm118icbm
03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
That sounds more sweet than bitter! I wish I could complain about how they messed up the included guns on my CCW but Orange County is not very CCW friendly.....

vinson
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Yah I know Kevin, sorry.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I have seven (7) guns on my CCW.

Man... if there was something I could do to help you, I would!

The Sheriff Office that issued your CCW needs to comply... they messed-up
and so they need to fix it. Should not matter that they are swamped. What's
right is only right.

If I'm not mistaken, I do believe a maximum of three (3) is allowed on [any]
CA CCW... correct?

bulgron
03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
CA CCW... correct?

Not correct. There happens to be room to list 3 firearms on the front of the CCW, so some sheriff's offices claim you can have only three. But in reality you're allowed to write more guns on the back of the CCW.

This is one of those "little battles" we need to fight as more counties begin issuing.

vinson
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I wonder if they will charge me the $10 permit change fee to get it fixed.

wildhawker
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
OP, PM me your contact info and the county.

G60
03-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Did you make copies of your app? I'm sure they could open up your file and see that they missed it and not charge.

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Book a Modification appointment, the earliest is March 31st. It takes 7 days to receive a modified permit. No biggie, mistakes happen. Keep fighting the good fight!

Nick Justice
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't complaint that the brass ring is not shiny enough now that you have it!!! Be glad, and polish it with the process to get it corrected.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

HEY... there ya go..., lookie there...!!!

This here what I just simply L-O-V-E about Calguns... :thumbsup:

I'm getting that inspired feeling again :yes:

vinson
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Polishing!!

taperxz
03-24-2011, 12:24 PM

I was wondering what took you so long. :D

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Not correct. There happens to be room to list 3 firearms on the front of the CCW, so some sheriff's offices claim you can have only three. But in reality you're allowed to write more guns on the back of the CCW.

This is one of those "little battles" we need to fight as more counties begin issuing.

WAIT...!

Can we clarify this please...?

I'm pretty sure you need to qualify at the range with firearm to be added to
permit... then have the issuing agency 'add' said firearm to permit. Now,
whether it's 3 guns, or 7 guns... the issuing agency needs to record the
addition. Correct me if I am wrong.

green grunt
03-24-2011, 12:30 PM
still waiting to hear on my CCW...............glad you got it , having only 1 firearm on the permit is better then having no permit............congrats , stay safe.

NotEnufGarage
03-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear what happened to you.

My appointment to submit an app isn't until June. I'm thinking of qualifying on all my handguns (except the 22lr - what's the point), which includes a 9mm, 2 .45's, a .357 and a .460 magnum (hardly concealable, but I'll try). I wonder how the Sac sheriff will react to that?

coq
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Kind of a drag, but...CONGRATS on the permit!

FERGUSON
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
CONGRATS! ONE IS BETTER THAN NONE...

I WANNA APPLY HERE IN RIVERSIDE CNTY BUT I CANT AFFORD TO BE DENIED AND LOSE OUT ON SO MUCH MONEY....

bulgron
03-24-2011, 12:53 PM
WAIT...!

Can we clarify this please...?

I'm pretty sure you need to qualify at the range with firearm to be added to
permit... then have the issuing agency 'add' said firearm to permit. Now,
whether it's 3 guns, or 7 guns... the issuing agency needs to record the
addition. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you need to qualify with all the guns on your permit, and have them all recorded by the issuing agency. Just don't let anyone tell you that you can have only three guns on your permit at a time.

Nick Justice
03-24-2011, 1:02 PM
can you carry all seven with you at the same time? Let's see...two ankles, two underarms, six or so on the waist...YUP!!

wildhawker
03-24-2011, 1:03 PM
More accurate would be to say that some licensing authorities require applicants to qualify with each proposed firearm, though there is no statutory requirement for such; further, many of the local policies, as-applied, are unlawful and overbroad.

-Brandon

(i) For new license applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and
the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. Notwithstanding this clause, the licensing authority may require a community college course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without exception.
(ii) For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. No course of training shall be required for any person certified by the licensing authority as a trainer for purposes of this subparagraph, in order for that person to renew a license issued pursuant to this section.

Yes, you need to qualify with all the guns on your permit, and have them all recorded by the issuing agency. Just don't let anyone tell you that you can have only three guns on your permit at a time.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 1:16 PM
More accurate would be to say that some licensing authorities require applicants to qualify with each proposed firearm, though there is no statutory requirement for such; further, many of the local policies, as-applied, are unlawful and overbroad.

-Brandon

Thank you Brandon...

I just didn't want people thinking they are "allowed to write more guns on the back of the CCW."

And thank you to bulgron for correcting as well.

ken worth
03-24-2011, 2:10 PM
Congratulations. every new permit issued is another step forward.

still waiting for sanity to pervail in Monterey county.

trevilli
03-24-2011, 2:36 PM
I hate that it's called a "permit".

This is how I see it: We, the government, are willing to "permit" you the privilege of exercising a right that is granted by the Creator. :TFH:

I'm sorry, but to my mind, begging and pleading, via an "acceptable" statement of "good cause" is no right whatsoever.

Still, would I jump through those hoops if I was "permitted" to carry my loaded sidearm when I leave my home?

Maybe ;)

To the OP: Congratulations on your newly obtained "right", and here's hoping you never have to use either of your guns in self defense.

vinson
03-24-2011, 5:18 PM
Thanx guys for the good tidings. I have booked another appt, that is, if I can sneak out of work once again. More hoops, more hoops, just keep the head down and keep jumpin through them hoops!!

vinson
03-24-2011, 5:27 PM
I gotta say, while I'm here, that the thing that bugs me about this is the lack of common decency in the way this matter was handled. If I screw up something for somebody, particularly something of importance, I do my damnest to fix it and fix it fast extending the greatest courtesies to the injured party. Instead, I was stuck back in the cattle chute jostling for position left to my own devices to get the matter resolved. Humpff! Yah yah, I know, I'm lucky to have one. I know. Just saying.

tiki
03-24-2011, 6:24 PM
It's Sac County policy to limit you to three. So, I think we are hosed there.

Yankee Clipper
03-24-2011, 7:58 PM
I gotta say, while I'm here, that the thing that bugs me about this is the lack of common decency in the way this matter was handled. If I screw up something for somebody, particularly something of importance, I do my damnest to fix it and fix it fast extending the greatest courtesies to the injured party. Instead, I was stuck back in the cattle chute jostling for position left to my own devices to get the matter resolved. Humpff! Yah yah, I know, I'm lucky to have one. I know. Just saying.

But we still don't know what county you're referring to!:confused:

clcolin81
03-24-2011, 8:05 PM
Here in Solano county I've heard they will only allow you two guns, even though the DOJ application has room for 3, and gives you the option to add additional pages if required.

epilepticninja
03-24-2011, 8:48 PM
But we still don't know what county you're referring to!:confused:

I'ma take a stab in the dark, but I'm pretty sure it's Sac County. Not to be evil to them because they are busting their humps with the influx of CCW apps, so it probably just got overlooked. For anyone getting a permit though, when you go in to put your thumbprint on it, read it why you are sitting there and ensure it has all your pistola's listed on it. Don't just thumbprint and run out there door.

Kid Stanislaus
03-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Here in Stanislaus Co. we are restricted to three guns but there's room for at least half a dozen. I'd sure like to have six listed. Actually, I'd like to have NONE listed and no permit required but this is the PRC and I'm a bit of a realist.

Kid Stanislaus
03-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Did you make copies of your app? I'm sure they could open up your file and see that they missed it and not charge.

Problem is they COULD do a lot of things for him but they appear to have a "Shove it where the sun don't shine" attitude. He'll get stuck doing it the hard way.

anthonyca
03-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Is is sad that I would rather have one of the currently all male CGF board members ask me to PM them with information about an offending gov agency than for a pretty girl to ask for my number?

Make the government obey they law. Good job.

JeepFreak
03-25-2011, 7:41 AM

CA CCW... correct?

Wait.... wut? :confused:
Billy

ZirconJohn
03-25-2011, 8:10 AM
Wait.... wut? :confused:
Billy

Yaaa... sorry.

As a firearms dealer... I happen to know the right people :shrug:

However, in my opinion... they should not have to have any specific gun w/
serial number under Section B Description of Weapon(s) on the CCW Permit.

It should say something like; Holder of this license is proficient in handling of
the following: Single Action Revolver, Double Action Revolver, 1911 w/ slide
safety, 1911 w/o slide safety, 1911 Double Action, Glock Style Trigger
Safety... etc And then they can just indicate what you qualified with. I think
you get the picture... yes?

Ahhh hale... I'm dreaming... :mad:

USMC VET
03-25-2011, 8:35 AM
Sorry to hear what happened to you.

My appointment to submit an app isn't until June. I'm thinking of qualifying on all my handguns (except the 22lr - what's the point), which includes a 9mm, 2 .45's, a .357 and a .460 magnum (hardly concealable, but I'll try). I wonder how the Sac sheriff will react to that?

Placer does not allow .22lr on the CCW last I checked.

Nick Justice
03-25-2011, 1:07 PM
However, in my opinion... they should not have to have any specific gun w/
serial number under Section B Description of Weapon(s) on the CCW Permit.

It should say something like; Holder of this license is proficient in handling of
the following: Single Action Revolver, Double Action Revolver, 1911 w/ slide
safety, 1911 w/o slide safety, 1911 Double Action, Glock Style Trigger
Safety... etc And then they can just indicate what you qualified with. I think
you get the picture... yes?

In Texas, you get either "revolver" or "pistol and revolver". No specific gun or serial number. But if you have the "revolver" type, you can't carry a pistol.

In Florida, you get "Concealed Weapon" Gun, knife, club, etc. No specific weapon.

ZirconJohn
03-25-2011, 1:42 PM
In Texas, you get either "revolver" or "pistol and revolver". No specific gun or serial number. But if you have the "revolver" type, you can't carry a pistol.

In Florida, you get "Concealed Weapon" Gun, knife, club, etc. No specific weapon.

Well now see... that makes perfect sense.

However, we are talking about kalifornia which as we all very well know... just
simply does NOT make sense AL ALL :mad:

Hhahhaaa... I just 'learned' spell check to recognize kalifornia as correct spelling :laugh:

J.D.Allen
03-25-2011, 1:58 PM

I can carry any gun I want with my permit. I don't even have to list them.

Oh wait...I don't have a permit. I better get one right away!

Oh wait...I don't need one.

Nevermind! :43:

vinson
03-25-2011, 2:55 PM
Is this what you call a Zircon script hijack?

ZirconJohn
03-25-2011, 7:16 PM
I can carry any gun I want with my permit. I don't even have to list them.

Oh wait...I don't have a permit. I better get one right away!

Oh wait...I don't need one.

Nevermind! :43:

OH... HALE...!!! I just looked at your Location; Yuma, AZ! - HHhahahaaa... Why I odda...! :mad: :smilielol5:

In my dreams I live in Flagstaff, AZ... in my dreams :yes:

Good on ya Sir... good on ya :)

timtritt
04-02-2011, 6:15 AM
Don't complaint that the brass ring is not shiny enough now that you have it!!! Be glad, and polish it with the process to get it corrected.

You know - now that Sac has virtual "Shall Issue" I see a lot of similar posts. Its like we don't want to "piss anyone off" and "lose this right".

We are "happy" to wait 4-5 months for an initial interview. We gladly fork over $122 for live-scan, another $175 or more for "training" and "qualifications". Then we gladly "wait" for DOJ to get their BI done only to get another appointment to drop everything off - and finally a certified letter containing the rice paper permit.

But when the SO screws up, we all duck - don't wanna piss them off, maybe they will take it away again. I don't know, I feel like we are in some sort of abusive relationship and the SO are wearing the wife-beater t-shirts and holding the bud can....

Jack L
04-02-2011, 7:06 AM

Man... if there was something I could do to help you, I would!

The Sheriff Office that issued your CCW needs to comply... they messed-up
and so they need to fix it. Should not matter that they are swamped. What's
right is only right.

CA CCW... correct?

My county only allows TWO guns on the CCW.

Jack L
04-02-2011, 7:11 AM
OH... HALE...!!! I just looked at your Location; Yuma, AZ! - HHhahahaaa... Why I odda...! :mad: :smilielol5:

In my dreams I live in Flagstaff, AZ... in my dreams :yes:

Good on ya Sir... good on ya :)

I got an AZ, CCW license for one reason really............for the young over caffeinated border patrol agents. Some of those guys and really cool, others not so much. I figure a CCW from AZ will help.

AZ has the fastest CCW process turn around of any state in the USA, 48 hours!

Sweaty Bullitts
04-02-2011, 2:34 PM
I'ma take a stab in the dark, but I'm pretty sure it's Sac County. Not to be evil to them because they are busting their humps with the influx of CCW apps, so it probably just got overlooked. For anyone getting a permit though, when you go in to put your thumbprint on it, read it why you are sitting there and ensure it has all your pistola's listed on it. Don't just thumbprint and run out there door.

I signed and thumbprinted a blank permit form during my final appt on 3/29/2011 in Sac Co., so there was nothing to proofread. Fortunately, they made no typos, and I got it in the mail four days later!

Sweaty

C5A
04-05-2011, 3:22 PM
[QUOTE I was tickled and thankful that the logistical and lengthy process was finally over. Much to my chagrin, when I looked over the permit, the sheriff's office had only included one gun out of the two that I had paid to qualify with and had submitted on my application.

I had the same thing happen. When I picked up my CCW they only listed one firearm and the serial number was incorrect. When I pointed out the error and that one weapon applied for was not listed the deputy wrote it on the CCW longhand and inditialed the addition and correction.