PDA

View Full Version : I drank the cool aid

Arondos
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Ordered a G23 from Glock.

FFL called me to tell me he was having some "issues" with a lady who spoke Austrian and his FFL certificate/license. But that it should ship Friday.

Now I am trying to figure something out. If he is talking to Austria is it shipping from there? and if it is how long it will take to get to him?

The paperwork got mailed to a PO box in Georgia.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Well... could take some time. See, Glock ships from Austria by train :D :sarcasm:

SinisterBud
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Not sure. some do but not many some have the Austrian marking's those are straight from Austria Google it.

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Just DROS'ed my Gen4 G19 last night :43:

Sam
03-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Just DROS'ed my Gen4 G19 last night :43:

Where are you single shotting pistols in Sac?

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Where are you single shotting pistols in Sac?

Drove down to Milpitas and DROS'ed it at Valkyrie.

InGrAM
03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Buy a 9mm barrel and some mags. two in one is a great thing :)

Bill Carson
03-24-2011, 10:34 AM

FFL called me to tell me he was having some "issues" with a lady who spoke Austrian and his FFL certificate/license. But that it should ship Friday.

Now I am trying to figure something out. If he is talking to Austria is it shipping from there? and if it is how long it will take to get to him?

I love that gun. Welcome to the GLOCKSIDE.

evolixsurf
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
im about to drink the cool aid too. sigh... Going to get a gen 3 though because I dont need my guns taken away in the future.

beauregard
03-24-2011, 10:36 AM
My FFL told me GLOCK was 125,000+ orders behind.

Baconator
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
im about to drink the cool aid too. sigh... Going to get a gen 3 though because I dont need my guns taken away in the future.

Why would anyone take your (what I am assuming you mean) off-roster Glock 4 if you were to get one?

HPGunner
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Most if not all Glocks I've seen is marked Austria on the slide and Georgia on the frame. So does this mean the slide is from Austria and the frames are made in the USA? I thought all Glocks sold in the US are distributed from GA. I did see a rare USA marked slide on the Calguns marketplace once.

tbhracing
03-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Does not matter how you ordered one, as long as you have it coming.

Love the Kool Aid.....

http://www.redrecondite.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/koolaid-good.png

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Gen4's are perfectly legal to own and single shot exemptions are OK as per CA DOJ. Nothing is illegal and they won't be taken away.

BayAreaShooter
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I to "drank the cool aid." DROS'ed a 26 a few days ago and cant wait to get my hands on it. :D

evolixsurf
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Gen4's are perfectly legal to own and single shot exemptions are OK as per CA DOJ. Nothing is illegal and they won't be taken away.

Yea, to dros a single shot exempt is fine. The problem is when you change it back to a completely different configuration right after you buy it. And continue to use it in that different configuration. It might be legal to purchase the gun that way, but I just cant see it being legal(based on various PC's) when you purposely change it completely.

You might not agree, and thats fine... Its just not worth it to me.

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Yea, to dros a single shot exempt is fine. The problem is when you change it back to a completely different configuration right after you buy it. And continue to use it in that different configuration. It might be legal to purchase the gun that way, but I just cant see it being legal(based on various PC's) when you purposely change it completely.

DOJ just made a visit to the shop I DROS'ed my Gen4 on Monday. They signed off on it, stating that it was perfectly legal to do so.

Feel free to stick to your principles, meanwhile everyone else will be purchasing Gen4's. :)

fuenstock
03-24-2011, 12:20 PM
DOJ just made a visit to the shop I DROS'ed my Gen4 on Monday. They signed off on it, stating that it was perfectly legal to do so.
meanwhile everyone else will be purchasing Gen4's. :)

Ill be in line soon for a Gen4 after my 30 days is up!

evolixsurf
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM

Feel free to stick to your principles, meanwhile everyone else will be purchasing Gen4's. :)

can you tell us more on how they "signed off on it"?

Baconator
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM

What if you buy an off-roster gun from someone who is allowed to buy off-roster guns? Or get it through a interfamilial transfer? Do you honestly think that there are people from the DOJ out there looking to see if your gun is on roster?

From the DOJ:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf
The requirements for handguns to pass safety and functionality tests and to be listed in the
Department of Justice’s official list of handguns certified as safe for sale in California do
not apply to transactions involving the following:
• Private party transfers of handguns occurring through a firearms dealer. or sheriff’s
department. (Penal Code § 12132(a).)
• Firearm transfers that, subject to any specified exemption, are not required to be
conducted by firearms dealers. (Penal Code § 12132(b).)
• Sales, loans, or transfers of firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section
178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (Penal Code §§ 12132(c)
and (g).)
• The delivery of a handgun to a licensed firearms dealer for the purposes of
servicing or repairing that firearm and the subsequent return of the handgun by the
licensed firearms dealer to its owner. (Penal Code § 12132(d) and (e).)
• The return of a handgun by a licensed firearms dealer to its owner where that
firearm was initially delivered to that firearms dealer for the purpose of a
consignment sale or as collateral for a pawnbroker loan. (Penal Code § 12132(f).)
• Single-action revolvers with at least a five-cartridge capacity, a barrel length of not
less than three inches, and either: (a) were originally manufactured prior to 1900
and are curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations; or (b) have an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of
at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are
assembled. (Penal Code § 12133.)
• Single-shot pistols with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that have an
overall length of at least 10 ½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel
are assembled. (Penal Code § 12133.)
• The following pistols sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee and by
USA Shooting, the national governing body for international shooting competition
in the United States, and that are used for Olympic target shooting purposes (Penal
Code § 12133.):

If you can find me a law that says you cannot alter your gun to allow it to accept up to a 10 round magazine I would like to see it.

Brown Rock
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Buy a 9mm barrel and some mags. two in one is a great thing :)

.40 cal Glocks can take a 9mm barrel too? I though it was a .357 SIG barrel.:confused:

Baconator
03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
.40 cal Glocks can take a 9mm barrel too? I though it was a .357 SIG barrel.:confused:

9mm too.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=241

SinisterBud
03-24-2011, 1:13 PM
u have to use a a conversion 9mm barrel cant use a glock 19 barrel and with the 357 sig u can use your 40 mags and a glock 32 barrel

Brown Rock
03-24-2011, 1:27 PM
9mm too.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=241

:cool:

u have to use a a conversion 9mm barrel cant use a glock 19 barrel and with the 357 sig u can use your 40 mags and a glock 32 barrel
Got it.:)

evolixsurf
03-24-2011, 1:36 PM
What if you buy an off-roster gun from someone who is allowed to buy off-roster guns? Or get it through a interfamilial transfer? Do you honestly think that there are people from the DOJ out there looking to see if your gun is on roster?

From the DOJ:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

If you can find me a law that says you cannot alter your gun to allow it to accept up to a 10 round magazine I would like to see it.

You are configuring it into the configuration that wasnt legal to buy. Thats like configuring an ar-15 with bullet button into an ar with mag release. Think about it...

Baconator
03-24-2011, 1:40 PM
You are configuring it into the configuration that wasnt legal to buy. Thats like configuring an ar-15 with bullet button into an ar with mag release. Think about it...

No, that's not the same thing. Possession of an assault weapon is a crime, possession of an off-roster gun is not a crime.

Think about it this way. I move to California from Texas. I bring with me a Ruger LCP (not on roster) and a listed lower AR-15. What law have I broken? I have imported an assault rifle, as defined by the law. The LCP in and of itself is not illegal to own. If there was a law that said off roster handguns may not be owned, then there would be something there. The law says what cannot be done, not what you can do. Is there a law somewhere that says you can post on Calguns? Must be illegal then, right?

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 2:04 PM

DOJ came in and audited their DROS paperwork and procedures.

evolixsurf
03-24-2011, 2:14 PM
yes, so they can take names :smilielol5:

SupportGeek
03-24-2011, 2:33 PM

Can you cite these PC's?

ChrisTKHarris
03-24-2011, 2:42 PM
yes, so they can take names :smilielol5:

ok.

Blackhawk556
03-24-2011, 2:48 PM
Don't want your gun taken away???? Lol, sorry but that has got to be the dumbest thing I've read in the last week or two :-). I take it you don't own any OLL receivers right? Have many people have bought gen4 guns, xdm, and so on with no visits or trouble from the DOJ?

Voo
03-24-2011, 4:02 PM

There's nothing similar about it. Read the laws on OLL's and their configurations. Seriously.. if people are doing this and the DOJ is openly allowing it, then show exactly where/how it's breaking a law..

This is the same type of BS that could be heard when the whole OLL AR thing went down a few years ago.. Same disbelief but some 20,000+ AR lowers later.. Here we are..

Do your own research and stop spreading your own version of how things work.. You sound like a 10 yr old with your disbeliefs.

SupportGeek
03-24-2011, 7:17 PM
Can you cite the PC that says it isn't? Show me a law that says it's legal to poop at your house, or drink a coke. Laws tell us only what we can't do, not what we can.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Whoa doggy, back down. Im on your side.

I was asking evolixsurf to cite the PC's that make him think its illegal to buy a pistol in single shot, then modify it back to factory stock specs.
He is under the impression that this is illegal to do, or possess said pistol after bringing back to stock, and he claimed his aprehension was due to some PC, I wanted to know which ones caused him concerns.

I wasn't asking him to tell me how single shot exemption is legal or something, I know based on everything Ive read here that it is perfectly fine to do, and I plan on taking advantage of it myself.

Im going to assume you either misunderstood my post because you read it on your phone, or you have something personal against me, I assume the former?

Baconator
03-24-2011, 7:20 PM
Whoa doggy, back down. Im on your side.

I was asking evolixsurf to cite the PC's that make him think its illegal to buy a pistol in single shot, then modify it back to factory stock specs.
He is under the impression that this is illegal to do, or possess said pistol after bringing back to stock, and he claimed his aprehension was due to some PC, I wanted to know which ones caused him concerns.

I wasn't asking him to tell me how single shot exemption is legal or something, I know based on everything Ive read here that it is perfectly fine to do, and I plan on taking advantage of it myself.

Im going to assume you either misunderstood my post because you read it on your phone, or you have something personal against me, I assume the former?

I did read it on my phone, sorry bout that. Been real annoyed today for some reason. Sorry again.

Justintoxicated
03-24-2011, 9:31 PM
I won't buy one because I don't believe in the extra cost associated with converting it back. I think it's wrong for people to profit on the BS roster, and loop holes. They do to do away with that thing completely, it's pretty damn pointless when all it takes is extra money to purchase something not on it.

SixPointEight
03-24-2011, 9:37 PM
It doesn't cost more to convert it back. YOu basically pay a small surcharge to rent their barrel and fixed mag. You get your stock parts when you buy it.

NorCal Einstein
03-24-2011, 9:51 PM
Oh ****. I need that threaded barrel and extension from Valkyrie ASAP so I can start hand feeding my M&P this weekend at the range, 1 round at a time... :rofl2:

Justintoxicated
03-24-2011, 9:54 PM
It doesn't cost more to convert it back. YOu basically pay a small surcharge to rent their barrel and fixed mag. You get your stock parts when you buy it.

Ok now your talking, now where is the place to do this in SoCal? if that is the case I would do it just to toss the roster back in their face.

SixPointEight
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm not in socal, so I'll have to let someone else answer

ChrisTKHarris
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
I won't buy one because I don't believe in the extra cost associated with converting it back. I think it's wrong for people to profit on the BS roster, and loop holes. They do to do away with that thing completely, it's pretty damn pointless when all it takes is extra money to purchase something not on it.

My Gen4 was $575 + tax/DROS. For me the extra $75 is worth it.

ChrisTKHarris
03-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Ok now your talking, now where is the place to do this in SoCal? if that is the case I would do it just to toss the roster back in their face.

Parallax Tactical in the Sorrento Valley area.

ELEVENTH HOUR
03-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I Hear the Best Kool Aid is the 19?:43:

bwiese
03-25-2011, 12:54 AM

Idiotic FUD.

Nobody will take your Gen4 Glock away if it was transferred properly as an exempt single-shot, or you acquired via another legit Roster-exempt path (PPT, interstate intrafamily exemption).

bwiese
03-25-2011, 1:01 AM
Yea, to dros a single shot exempt is fine. The problem is when you change it back to a completely different configuration right after you buy it.

There is no law changing the nature of a gun to any other legal format.

Changing 9mm to 40 to 357sig, putting a long slide on instead of a short slide, etc.

The Calguns Foundation will back anyone that has issues on this that has followed proper procedures.

Even DOJ grudgingly acknowledges it's perfectly legal - otherwise,CA FFLs doing this would be shut down already. [They busted one FFL in central valley for illegally transferring a non-Rostered handgun to himself - he was too stupid to go thru the single-shot pistol/single-action revolver procedure and took the 'easy' way out.]

And continue to use it in that different configuration. It might be legal to purchase the gun that way, but I just cant see it being legal(based on various PC's) when you purposely change it completely.

Read 12125PC and 12132-12133PC.

Not only that, the former Deputy AG (Firearms) for Calif DOJ has even stated, in formal written communication, that it's entire legal to modify a gun out of Rostered status once owned: she acknowledges our one-armed plaintiff in the CGF Pena v. Cid "Roster" case can't buy a non-Rostered left-handed Glock, but that individual can buy the Rostered gun and then modify it to lefthanded form. This modifcation allowance applies to any other gun characteristic that does not cause the gun to enter into another illegal status (AW, SBR, smoothbore, chambering a shotgun shell, etc.)

So you're wrong. Period. End of story. You can hold your own beliefs, but don't try to scare others thru your FUD.

This territory has all been well thought out. We'd all be in jail now otherwise :)

bwiese
03-25-2011, 1:03 AM

Wrong. Think about it. RTFL.

The Roster only gates the gun at the time of purchase. It does not control status after acqusition.

You go think about it, sonny.

bwiese
03-25-2011, 1:10 AM

The extra cost is for the dealer to stock spare barrels. Some FFLs don't charge significantly much more for Gen4s than Gen3s other than the allocated barrel costs. Rarer/oddbal guns that don't sell in volume and/or that have pricey spare barrels (or barrels only available as part of a gun purchase) are gonna have a much bigger differential than common-but-non-Rostered guns like 1911s, for which operational spare long barrels and dummy filller mags can be had very, very cheaply.

The purchaser gets the original barrel anyway.

After he DROSes/does 10 day wait and walks out the store with the gun, he is free to go home and swap in the original barrel and modify it to use a detachable magazine (instead of the blocked zero-round magwell). He then returns the barrel to the gunshop as a courtesy (or for refund).

There is substantial politico-legal importance in rendering the Roster irrelevant from a practical standpoint - even if still on the books for a bit. It also helps bring a flow of new guns into CA simply because some of these guns will eventually be sold, transferred or inherited within CA some time later.

This is why I designed/specified/created this process for intelligent FFLs and buyers to follow.

coyotebait
03-25-2011, 6:10 AM
Wow, I bought a G17 about a year ago, wasn't concerned with what gen it was....saw it, liked it, bought it. Apparently, it's a gen 3 as I have NO STINKING CLUE what you are talking about with the single shot, fixed mag thing. Will you please enlighten me?
I'm assuming that the gen 4 is not "on the roster" and therefore has to be a single shot?

NotEnufGarage
03-25-2011, 6:44 AM

They speak German in Austrian.. Don't sweat it though, Obama made the same mistake.

Baconator
03-25-2011, 7:19 AM
Wow, I bought a G17 about a year ago, wasn't concerned with what gen it was....saw it, liked it, bought it. Apparently, it's a gen 3 as I have NO STINKING CLUE what you are talking about with the single shot, fixed mag thing. Will you please enlighten me?
I'm assuming that the gen 4 is not "on the roster" and therefore has to be a single shot?

If it was a Gen4 it would say so on the slide. They have a rougher texture and you can change the backstrap on them. There is more than one thread on single shot conversion, but briefly; when a gun is not on roster it is exempt from the roster if it meets some certain conditions:

12133. (a) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
single-action revolver that has at least a 5-cartridge capacity
with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets
any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or
relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of
Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and
barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at
least 71/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and
barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for
importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions
of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18
of the United States Code.
(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six
inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches
when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

So the single shot conversion is altered to meet the above condition and then sold. Once it is sold work can be done to make it back it it's normal configuration.

coyotebait
03-25-2011, 7:30 AM
If it was a Gen4 it would say so on the slide. They have a rougher texture and you can change the backstrap on them. There is more than one thread on single shot conversion, but briefly; when a gun is not on roster it is exempt from the roster if it meets some certain conditions:

So the single shot conversion is altered to meet the above condition and then sold. Once it is sold work can be done to make it back it it's normal configuration.

Wow, we've got some lame laws.

c20rj
03-25-2011, 7:38 AM
I drank the cool aid too.... get to pick up my new glock 20 tommorow! Had to have a 10mm. I wanted a delta elite, but didnt want to holster and carry around that nice of a gun on the farm. For the price of a elite I got a glock and have money left over to buy something else, maybe a upper for one of my un-assembled lowers. Fwiw- glockmeister in arizona was great to deal with, couldnt find a local dealer with a 20 in stock. Glockmeister had 2, both in SF. I paid 575.00 with free ship. Pretty good deal in my book.

titankeith
03-25-2011, 7:52 AM
Proud G21sf and G23 Kool-aid drinker!