PDA

View Full Version : Which 870 is on sale at Big 5 right now?

Patriot
10-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Online Ad (http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=browsepagesingle&storeid=2503833&rapid=330617&pagenumber=3)

The ad says "8-shot security", sale price $289, regularly $369. Is it just a normal express, or something special? The reason I ask is that the price seemed kind of high by Big 5's standards. They were selling the 870 Express for $239 last week IIRC.

Thanks

kilword
10-29-2006, 1:52 PM
i believe its a express. wierd the site says 20 inch barrel but the express its a 18

kilword
10-29-2006, 1:55 PM
just goto big 5 and look...and ask also big5 will usually give you a previous sale price if you mention it. 239 aint bad at all for one. i revently got a mossberg 590 from big5 for 290 but for 239 hell id get a express also.

CalNRA
10-29-2006, 2:10 PM
the Express is a 5-shot(4 in the tube) wooden stocked 870 model that they are clearing out(I say that because the sale 870s don't come with CA certified locks, suggesting they are from an older batch of shotguns from before), with 28 inch barrel. The ylowered the price from 329 to 269, and witha 30 dollar mail-in rebate the price goes down to 239.

The security is a 7-in-the-tube gun that uses a synthetic stock, they are typically more costly than the regu1lar models(think the mossberg security models). It 's for people who don't plan on using the gun for games, since plugging that thing to 2 rounds in the tube an be a hassle and you WILL get looks in the field with the short barrel and long tubular magazine, not too mention you can't get different length barrels for the security models.

The security looks like cheaper version of the #26471 from Remington Tactical shotguns(without the OD green coating on the barrel, receiver, and magazine tube.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/tactical_shotgun_specs.asp

kilword
10-29-2006, 4:45 PM
yea get the security....one of the main reasons i got the 590 it holds 9 shells.
man computers and monitors love the 9 shells of fury....

Patriot
10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks all.

I'm still in the processing of choosing a shotgun. There was a little part of me hoping that this was the Tactical model, but oh well.

Now to choose between a beater Wingmaster and a basic 500 :cool:

TYLORD
10-30-2006, 9:53 AM
the Express is a 5-shot(4 in the tube) wooden stocked 870 model that they are clearing out(I say that because the sale 870s don't come with CA certified locks, suggesting they are from an older batch of shotguns from before), with 28 inch barrel. The ylowered the price from 329 to 269, and witha 30 dollar mail-in rebate the price goes down to 239.

The security is a 7-in-the-tube gun that uses a synthetic stock, they are typically more costly than the regu1lar models(think the mossberg security models). It 's for people who don't plan on using the gun for games, since plugging that thing to 2 rounds in the tube an be a hassle and you WILL get looks in the field with the short barrel and long tubular magazine, not too mention you can't get different length barrels for the security models.

The security looks like cheaper version of the #26471 from Remington Tactical shotguns(without the OD green coating on the barrel, receiver, and magazine tube.

My new Express came with the CA approved lock, and was from the newer batch. It was on sale for $239.

kilword
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
get the 590 :P lots of fun! theyre a awesome shotgun. and they look nice. usually theyll give you what their sale price is on it. plus if you have the 10% off coupon it come out to around 290

gearbox
11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
It's *based* on the Express. Same plastic trigger components housing, coarse bluing, etc.. The difference being the extended tube without the stupid dimples.
It's a phenominal deal for a home defense shotgun, but you might consider putting on a sidesaddle and XS tritium front bead.
Some argue about slings on a purely defensive gun. You might get "hung up," but you'll be able to retain your weapon during and after a confrontation. Try handling a cell phone without one. With a 3-pointer you can hang it so you're on target with your strong hand unstrenuously on the grip (albeit with little manueverability). Better than setting it down.
My ideal "fighting" shotgun would be a parkerized 870P with IC 18" barrel, ghost ring sights, extended tube, Mesa sidesaddle, Surefire 918 and Specter CQB sling. That's well beyond "defensive" and well into "offensive," but very capable.
Right now I have a 20" IC with rifle sights on an 870Express sporter and a CQB sling. I was suprised to find my gun patterns like a Vang Comp. Luck of the draw.

<snip> not too mention you can't get different length barrels for the security models.
Are you saying you cannot interchange barrels?

doitdave
11-02-2006, 1:03 PM
For what it is worth and i could be wrong but i think the 860 at big-5 is a pump. Edit, or are all 870's pump?

I have been wanting to get a Shottie for skeet mainly and the 860 auto verson looked good for the price but i really don't want a pump just yet. But i still keep comming across the 11-87 which also looks like a solid gun. I think i might go a little more $ to get that one...

Shane916
11-02-2006, 2:49 PM
All the 870's are pump's

tjschia
11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Go on Big 5's website then on their Weekly Ad Specials and there is a 10% off coupon. I just bought an 870 Express from big 5 with the sale, the rebate, and a 10% coupon for $310 or there about.

Shenaniguns
01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
So are these 870 HD's any good? I might buy one for the hell of it

Ratters
01-24-2007, 11:45 PM
So are these 870 HD's any good? I might buy one for the hell of it

It will shoot and cycle every time. Any other requirements for good?

And yeah, use the 10%. I used it on a lever action I purchased a couple months ago.

CalNRA
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
where are the 10% off coupons? they don't have them right now as far as I can tell.

mike100
01-25-2007, 7:21 AM
where are the 10% off coupons? they don't have them right now as far as I can tell.

The 10 percent internet coupon was a 2006 thing I guess..say la vie.. to the remington $30 870 express rebate as well.

anyways... I saw some 20" 870 HD's at the convoy st. (SD) Big 5 with the 3 shot extensions in plain black for those of you who don't want to buy a remington green tactical to get a 20" bbl.

Aluisious
01-25-2007, 7:33 AM
Online Ad (http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=browsepagesingle&storeid=2503833&rapid=330617&pagenumber=3)

The ad says "8-shot security", sale price $289, regularly $369. Is it just a normal express, or something special? The reason I ask is that the price seemed kind of high by Big 5's standards. They were selling the 870 Express for $239 last week IIRC.

Thanks
Man, I bought the Express from Big5 for clear over 300 bucks.

Aluisious
01-25-2007, 7:35 AM

The 18.5 inch bbl takes 6 in the tube.

Shenaniguns
01-25-2007, 9:33 AM
Are they just as easy to customize as any other 870?

It will shoot and cycle every time. Any other requirements for good?

And yeah, use the 10%. I used it on a lever action I purchased a couple months ago.

Aluisious
01-25-2007, 9:47 AM
Are they just as easy to customize as any other 870?
No, they change some stuff. A saddle is harder to put on, for example.

I also had a Knoxx SpecOps stock that wouldn't fit the plastic trigger guard.

CalNRA
01-25-2007, 9:51 AM
The 18.5 inch bbl takes 6 in the tube.

right, but the security model they sell in Big 5 is the 20 1/2 inch model with 7-round capacity magazine. I don't think anyone else here was talking about the 18 1/2 inch barrel model.

if you actually read the website, 26471 IS the 20 inch model. The 18 inch models are 26431 and 26433. I said the security model LOOKS like the tactial 26471 without the OD coating, I never said anything about the 18 inch models.

Aluisious
01-25-2007, 9:53 AM
right, but the security model they sell in Big 5 is the 20 1/2 inch model with 7-round capacity magazine. I don't think anyone else here was talking about the 18 1/2 inch barrel model.

if you actually read the website, 26471 IS the 20 inch model. The 18 inch models are 26431 and 26433. I said the security model LOOKS like the tactial 26471 without the OD coating, I never said anything about the 18 inch models.
I must be confused. Do they have two "security" models?

I bought a "security" configured 870 Express from Big5 (matte black), and it was 18.5 inch bbl and 6 rounds. For some reason my stupid brain expected it to take 8 rounds and I was real pissed off until I figured out 8 x 2.75 = 22 :p

I'd hate to have 20, the 18.5 is long enough as it is.

CalNRA
01-25-2007, 10:18 AM
I must be confused. Do they have two "security" models?

I bought a "security" configured 870 Express from Big5 (matte black), and it was 18.5 inch bbl and 6 rounds. For some reason my stupid brain expected it to take 8 rounds and I was real pissed off until I figured out 8 x 2.75 = 22 :p

I'd hate to have 20, the 18.5 is long enough as it is.

the one they sell now is 20 inch barrel, but I'm sure they had different stuff in the past.

I hear ya, 18.5 is pretty long for something like a gun you would like to be able to use in you home in a pinch. Thanks NFA!!!!

Funny thing when I was reading the Gun buyer's guide last year when the tester, who had LEO clearance, was wiritng baout a few shotguns for back country gear and one of them was a scattergun technology 14-inch model. Those things look real handy, a 14 inch barrel with 4 shot magazine. of course everyone I know cursed the guy for showing off a gun that is off limits to most civilians with no connections.

I imagine the 20 inch models with 7 rounds of 3-inch 00 buck would be a real nose heavy gun.

Shenaniguns
01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Good to know, I ordered an 18" 870 Synthetic with the factory +2 extension from my dealer and it should be here Tuesday. :D

Teletiger7
01-25-2007, 1:02 PM

the knoxx specops stock is suppossed to have a gap between the trigger guard and the stock/grip when installed. this is because the whole reciever(including triggerguard) and barrel/mag tube moves back during recoil by about an inch. if it fit flush and tight then the triggerguard would run into the stock during recoil.

MFortie
01-25-2007, 1:10 PM
Turner's has the Rem 870 'Home Security' (18" bbl, 7 shot) for $279 right now...

I THINK (not verified) that the above shotty and the Express all have dimples in the mag tube which don't allow extensions to be added. However, a Dremel can fix that pretty easily...

Regards,

Mark

ocabj
01-25-2007, 2:24 PM
I bought the 870 HD model from Turners back in 2001. It came with the 18.5" and extended magazine tube. You can put a 4 shell sidesaddle on it if it has the long pump forearm, but not the 6. I put the 6 shell sidesaddle on it because I replaced the pump forearm with a Surefire weaponmounted light. Then I added a GG&G single point sling adapter and a Specter Gear single point CQB sling with a quick release.

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of it. When I get a chance, I'll snap a couple and post them.

I don't really use this gun for anything. It sits behind the door waiting for action against an intruder that hopefully will never come.

It's got maybe 100 shells through it at best. A bunch of slugs and 00 buckshot when I was testing patterns.

I should probably sell it since I could put the $300-$400 it's worth into a new gun that I would actually be shooting in competition. But I think it's worthwhile to have at least one shotgun.

ns3v3n
02-07-2007, 11:53 PM
where is this turners place at??? is it near the bay area? and do you guys now any good (low priced) dealers in the bay area?