PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's H.R. 308 now has 100 cosponsors

ADH
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Much like the "shoulder thing", her level of confidence seems to have gone up. This bill still doesn't seem to have much of a chance, but it's important to keep an eye on these things.

When it's all over, we need to see the list of cosponsors. Names need to be named and people need to be voted out.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_politics/new-york/bill-to-ban-high-capacity-ammo-magazines-reaches-new-milestone/

tiki
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
10 bullets at a time? Sweet!

wazdat
03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
When it's all over, we need to see the list of cosponsors. Names need to be named and people need to be voted out.

Here's a running list of cosponsors.
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/01/hr-308-co-sponsors.html

Edit: Here's a better link from her site.
http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=155&sectiontree=189,155&itemid=1753

bwiese
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Fairly irrelevant.
These are the usual suspects. Sponsors just also like to see their name on things - doesn't mean they expend much effort.

This doesn't have a chance in hell in passing in both houses. If it did, there will be 1994-style electoral blood in the streets - remember the great '94 purge including Speaker of the House Tom Foley.

Certainly we keep an eye on things, but I'm confident the NRA has the Big Stick at the ready.

safewaysecurity
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
100 need to be tried for treason.

ADH
03-24-2011, 10:53 AM
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/01/hr-308-co-sponsors.html

Thank you sir!

Ubermcoupe
03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
See some CA names on that list... I wish my vote against Honda was worth something...:(

taperxz
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Most co sponsors are from the usual states. 100 cosponsors is still only less than 25 percent and the member from DC can't vote.

ADH
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Most co sponsors are from the usual states. 100 cosponsors is still only less than 25 percent and the member from DC can't vote.

I figured that a lot of these people would probably be the usual suspects, but once it's over we should at least comb the list to see if there are any supposed "friendlies" on there.

Blackhawk556
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Much like the "shoulder thing", her level of confidence seems to have gone up. This bill still doesn't seem to have much of a chance, but it's important to keep an eye on these things.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_politics/new-york/bill-to-ban-high-capacity-ammo-magazines-reaches-new-milestone/

of the 100, I counted 26 members from CA. I was shocked to find that many members from CA :rolleyes:

yellowfin
03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
However the remote chance of it going anywhere, like Ted Nugent I still don't like repeat offenders.

Connor P Price
03-24-2011, 12:41 PM
100 co sponsors still doesn't worry me to much in this political climate.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Flintlock Tom
03-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Some of our honest and ethical representatives will "co-sponsor" a bill as a political favor then vote against it if/when it gets to the floor.
Two-faced is not too strong a word.

Aldemar
03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
HR 308....gotta love the number. Perhaps 556 & 762 will also be gun related bills:D

mag360
03-24-2011, 12:57 PM
going to call all the CA reps and tell them I can't wait to see them get voted out of office for their constitutional transgressions.

uyoga
03-24-2011, 2:28 PM
I don't want to appear divisive or partisan, but did anyone pick up on how many Republicans co-sponsored this atrocity?

nicki
03-24-2011, 3:02 PM
Most of co sponsors are from anti gun states.

Lots of people from California, New York and Mass. A few from "Free States", but not many.

Nicki

TimRB
03-24-2011, 6:08 PM
See some CA names on that list... I wish my vote against Honda was worth something...:(

Thank you. My rep is on the list too. Just once in my lifetime I would like my representative to actually represent me.

Tim

johndoe2150
03-24-2011, 6:42 PM
There is an error jane harman isn't in congress anymore. This makes me wonder the validity of this list like the list from maig.

Anchors
03-24-2011, 7:57 PM
Two reps from Arizona. Gross.
We need to get those guys out.

yellowfin
03-24-2011, 8:04 PM
There is an error jane harman isn't in congress anymore. This makes me wonder the validity of this list like the list from maig.They get votes from dead people so why not bill sponsors not in office anymore.

bohoki
03-24-2011, 8:19 PM
i'm confused how they pick the number

why not hr 223?

Librarian
03-24-2011, 8:52 PM
i'm confused how they pick the number

why not hr 223?

Bill numbers are assigned in order of submission.

NightOwl
03-24-2011, 9:04 PM
Note to self, send donation to tea party in New York. Seriously though, that whacko has to get voted out before she does more damage.

Most countries lock up their insane, we simply put them into public office.

The Cable Guy
03-24-2011, 9:30 PM
In the recent mass shooting in Tucson as well as the 1993 massacre on the Long Island Railroad that affected Rep. McCarthy’s family, the shooters were stopped by bystanders only when they stopped to reload their high-capacity magazines.

So they bystanders got them while they were reloading the magazines! That means that it would take them less time to reload the 10 rounders! Which means future bystanders will have less time to react since they will have 10 rounds loaded faster than 15.

tankerman
03-24-2011, 9:37 PM
Team Billy jack will be happy, this is what he's been hoping for ever since the shooting in Arizona.

Anchors
03-24-2011, 9:42 PM
Bill numbers are assigned in order of submission.

And sometimes the outcome is so hilarious you have to wonder if it is coincidence haha.
And this is outside gun politics.
Like the "weed bill" being SB420. Which even I laughed at (don't smoke weed).

epilepticninja
03-24-2011, 9:43 PM
which aims to reduce injuries and save lives by banning the sale or transfer of magazines that allow shooters to fire more than 10 bullets at a time.

I don't seem to recall 10 round magazines slowing up the VA Tech shooter. The use of them certainly didn't reduce injuries or save lives that I know of. Of course if students there were allowed to CCW and were properly trained in handgun self-defense, THAT might have reduced injuries and saved lives.

Blackhawk556
03-24-2011, 11:38 PM
So they bystanders got them while they were reloading the magazines! That means that it would take them less time to reload the 10 rounders! Which means future bystanders will have less time to react since they will have 10 rounds loaded faster than 15.

wrong dude, their idea is that by having only 10 round mags, the shooter will have to stop shooting because they will have stop and insert another magazine once they have fired 10 rounds instead of having to insert another mag after shooting 33 rounds.

Ex.
10round mag

1. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, band, bang, 10. bang (stop insert another mag, bystanders have a chance to stop shooter since he's reloading right now)

33 round mag

1. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, band, bang, 10. bang 1. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, band, bang, 20. bang1. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, band, bang, 30. bang, bang, bang, 33.bang (stop insert another mag, bystanders finally have a chance of stopping him after 33 rounds of continuous shooting.

this is why the antis don't like "high capacity" magazines (and also because they don't believe in the 2A)

the only reason why i dont like high capacity magazines is because i would go through ammo much quicker while at the range :). heck, even with 10 rounds mags i feel like it go through it quick. the last two times i've gone to the range i only load 3 rounds at a time and shoot slowly so that i don't round out of ammo quick :).

santacruzstefan
03-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Damn you, Sam Farr! I don't feel properly represented here in our 17th district.

Maestro Pistolero
03-25-2011, 12:10 AM
It is undisputed that the most protected form of carry in this country at the moment is carry in the home. The most likely reason to need to use a gun in the home for self defense is due to a home invasion which usually involves multiple armed assailants.

Police officers, with all their training and their bullet proof vests, routinely require ten rounds or more addressing a single threat. They also can push a little button to summon a team of colleagues who will come running to their aid with assault weapons.

Regular citizens may not encounter the really bad guys with the same frequency as police officers, but when they do encounter them, they are just as bad, just as threatening, and require firearms just as powerful as the firearms police require to stop the threat.

How can citizens be expected to perform better under stress with fewer rounds and none of the advantages of training, backup, and protective equipment that police have at their disposal?

To say that the only reason for high-capacity magazines is to kill lots of people really fast is like saying that the only reason for a car to go over 80 mph is to drive recklessly. In reality, sometimes emergencies happen, and sometimes you need to get to the hospital really fast. Or the emergency may be a home invasion where you find yourself needing to repel multiple armed assailants.

If you ever really need a gun to defend your life or the life of your child, your child will never die because you had too many rounds in a magazine. But too few would be catastrophic.
This was my reply to the article linked in the OP

Turo
03-25-2011, 12:38 AM
This was my reply to the article linked in the OP

I figured that came from a Calgunner. Very nice.

Ford8N
03-25-2011, 5:47 AM
Most of co sponsors are from anti gun states.

Lots of people from California, New York and Mass. A few from "Free States", but not many.

Nicki

My other state is not on that list. :cool:

Rep. McCarthy said. “Together with strengthening our background check system so that people known to be dangerous can’t get their hands on deadly weapons in the first place, this proposal is sure to reduce injuries and save lives in our nation.”

Read more: http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_politics/new-york/bill-to-ban-high-capacity-ammo-magazines-reaches-new-milestone/#ixzz1Hc6lqZ29

If they are so damn dangerous, WHY ARE THEY ALLOWED ON THE STREETS? Anyone that supports the freedom of someone who is "known to be dangerous" should be thrown in jail along with the nut. I'm sick and tired of this "collective" punishment(gun control) when I'm not the one causing the problem.

Interesting thing about the supporters, a lot of the people from California are women. Since CalGuns members are mostly men, you guys need to take more women on "shooting dates". ;)

Milsurps
03-25-2011, 6:16 AM

Some of my "Favorites" that never disappoint. :rolleyes:

Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23] - 2/17/2011

Rep Waters, Maxine [CA-35] - 1/18/2011

Rep Waxman, Henry A. [CA-30] - 1/18/2011

Geezz, more of the usual krap from the usual folks. :mad:

email
03-25-2011, 8:14 AM
Waters, Waxman, Weiner (chuckles), Jackson Lee...is anyone shocked by this list? Business as usual

n6vmo
03-25-2011, 9:15 AM
going to call all the CA reps and tell them I can't wait to see them get voted out of office for their constitutional transgressions.

Here's ourHR 308 co-sponsers...mine is not listed, good for Elton Gallegly...

Find yours and start emailing.
http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Rep Bass, Karen [CA-33]
Rep Becerra, Xavier [CA-31]
Rep Berman, Howard [CA-28]
Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23]
Rep Chu, Judy [CA-32]
Rep Eshoo, Anna [CA-14]
Rep Farr, Sam [CA-17]
Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51]
Rep Garamendi, John [CA-10]
Rep Harman, Jane [CA-36]
Rep Honda, Michael [CA-15]
Rep Lee, Barbara [CA-9]
Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16]
Rep Matsui, Doris [CA-5]
Rep McNerney, Jerry [CA-11]
Rep Miller, George [CA-7]
Rep Napolitano, Grace [CA-38]
Rep Richardson, Laura [CA-37]
Rep Roybal-Allard, Lucille [CA-34]
Rep Sanchez, Loretta [CA-47]
Rep Schiff, Adam [CA-29]
Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27]
Rep Speier, Jackie [CA-12]
Rep Stark, Fortney [CA-13]
Rep Waters, Maxine [CA-35]
Rep Waxman, Henry [CA-30]
Rep Woolsey, Lynn [CA-6]

n6vmo
03-25-2011, 9:19 AM
Interesting thing about the supporters, a lot of the people from California are women. ;)

55% of the CA co-sponsers are women. :rolleyes:

dfletcher
03-25-2011, 9:42 AM

Perhaps that's what the article means by "broad support" .....

OK, bad joke but I recall with 65 co-sponsors they all had a "D" after their name and I suspect with 100 that hasn't changed. There are about 190 Democrats in the House, getting barely half your own party to sign on and none of the 240 Republicans is hardly broad support.

Interesting to note that on her page listing the co-sponsers Rep McCarthy has ommitted party affiliation:
http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?itemid=1753&sectionid=155&sectiontree=189,155

A deliberate sleight of hand, I think, designed to disguise just how shallow is her support.

The Shadow
03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
The demographics of the antigun California politicians is very telling. They're all democrats and come from the Bay area, coastal communities like Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Oxnard, Los Angeles County, one from Orange County (Loretta Sanchez), and Bob Filner, who's district covers all of the Mexican border, except for Imperial Beach. So it seems, that's where the bastions of antigun liberalism are concentrated, and need to be weeded out. The question is, how do you get millions of people to see the light and remove those 26 people from office ?

The Shadow
03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

14 women and 12 men. So it's nearly 50/50. The other factor is that they are made of white, black, hispanic, and asian.

GWbiker
03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Two reps from Arizona. Gross.
We need to get those guys out.

Grijalva is one of 'em. Ugly looking slimeball went on Olberman nationwide show pleading for votes, 'cause he was being picked on. And, damn near lost the election to a young white girl with limited political experience.

Arizona has a hot looking Hispanic female being primed to kick Gijalva's rear in next election.

N6ATF
03-25-2011, 12:17 PM
The question is, how do you get millions of people to see the light and remove those 26 people from office ?

You arrest and prosecute the government officials for treason and complicity in countless violent crimes enabled by their victim disarmament.

tankarian
03-25-2011, 3:28 PM
How many republicans signed this crap? :innocent:

The Shadow
03-25-2011, 7:37 PM
How many republicans signed this crap? :innocent:

None from California, which is all I care about because they're the only ones I have any real influence over.

Smokeybehr
03-25-2011, 10:29 PM
It's the list of usual suspects, all from the far Left. Most of those on the list have already shown themselves to be rather ignorant in general with their idiotic statements.