PDA

View Full Version : NRA vs. CalGunFnd

GooseGun
03-24-2011, 9:16 AM
I've already donated to CalGuns Foundation. I was going to sign up for a membership with NRA but I don't know much about whether they are a good cause or not. I'm wondering if my membership dues would be better sent to CalGuns. What is everyone's thought's on supporting NRA?

J.D.Allen
03-24-2011, 9:21 AM
You will find opinions on that matter here vary as they do on almost every topic. But I believe I have seen a quote floating around from Gene that one should never forsake giving to the NRA to give to CGF, so there ya go.

trashman
03-24-2011, 9:27 AM
Give early and give often. The NRA is invaluable to us gunnies, and they have a power in D.C. that is unmatchable.

--Neill

goober
03-24-2011, 9:28 AM
You will find opinions on that matter here vary as they do on almost every topic. But I believe I have seen a quote floating around from Gene that one should never forsake giving to the NRA to give to CGN, so there ya go.

The NRA isn't perfect - no really large organization with a long history is. But it's the absolute key group to hold and help make gains. Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. Supporting both allows us to hold the line outside of California (while getting excellent support inside California) and advance in California in ways that the nationwide organization never could.

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene

^THIS

when one of "The Right People" at the top of CGF is urging you to support NRA before doing so for CGN/CGF, take it to heart...

rodeoflyer
03-24-2011, 9:28 AM
I'm torn.

The NRA does a lot of good.

Having said that, I dont appreciate the NRA sharing my information with 3rd parties. I get a LOT of special interest junk mail because of them. I also don't need invitations from every gun magazine on the planet to subscribe every other week. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm constantly tempted to not renew my membership, and donate anonymously through the "add a buck" program with vendors.

Kestryll
03-24-2011, 9:29 AM
J.D. Allen, i corrected your quote, from 'CGN' to 'CGF'

The NRA and the Calguns Foundation are not competing entities, think of it instead as different tools in the same toolbox.

There are things the NRA does Nationally that CGF could never do, conversely there are thing CGF can do in California that the NRA is best off not getting involved in.
Both however work for the same end, restoration and protection of our 2nd Amendment rights.

GooseGun
03-24-2011, 9:48 AM
I'm torn.

The NRA does a lot of good.

Having said that, I dont appreciate the NRA sharing my information with 3rd parties. I get a LOT of special interest junk mail because of them. I also don't need invitations from every gun magazine on the planet to subscribe every other week. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm constantly tempted to not renew my membership, and donate anonymously through the "add a buck" program with vendors.

I feel the same way and very strongly about getting junk in the mail or phone calls or emails when I'm giving my hard earned money away to the NRA. Not that it isn't a good cause. Thanks for the great feedback. I think I will not become a member of the NRA and just make a flat donation to them. What makes that decision even easier is donations to 501c3's are tax deductible, memberships are not.

Thanks for the help!

bwiese
03-24-2011, 9:49 AM
It is more than a tad silly to aid CGF and yet avoid being an NRA/CRPA member.

CGF can do its specialties best when there's an NRA cannon array in the background.

CGF board members are life members of NRA/CRPA, etc. I myself am an NRA Patron Life member.

CGers should be NRA & CRPA members and work/coordinate wiht their CA NRA Members' Councils so we have

As Gene Hoffman so succinctly put it, "Never ever choose to not be an NRA member."

CGF folks appreciate and do everything they can to work with/aid Team NRA/CRPA in California. We have the benefit that we have NRA *directors* from CA (vote for Joel Friedman who's up for election), two very smart lobbyists (NRA's Ed Worley and CRPA's Tom Pedersen) and a *California* executive liaison that reports to NRA's Wayne LaPierre - H. Paul Payne, who you see occasionally post here. These are some really bright hardworking folks who are working for *real* results in a hostile environment - not just doing some flagwaving.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 9:53 AM
Donate to both CGN and NRA.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed... but I know my 2A allies :yes:

kmca
03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I feel the same way and very strongly about getting junk in the mail or phone calls or emails when I'm giving my hard earned money away to the NRA. Not that it isn't a good cause. Thanks for the great feedback. I think I will not become a member of the NRA and just make a flat donation to them. What makes that decision even easier is donations to 501c3's are tax deductible, memberships are not.

Thanks for the help!

Just e-mail or give them a call. I only get 1 or 2 mailings from them a year. They just raised the firearms coverage that comes with the membership. That alone almost makes the membership worth it.

OleCuss
03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm regularly upset with the NRA but I'm a member.

The NRA is absolutely essential to the RKBA. There is no viable substitute in sight.

GooseGun
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
That goes to the General Fund, and contributions are not tax deductible. Generally, your credit card statement serves as proof of payment, but if you need a receipt, we can write one up after the contribution posts in 3-5 business days, if you will provide your address as you entered it in the form.

Thank you for your support!

Best Regards,

Andrew

NRA Member Communications
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
www.nra.org
E-mail: membership@nrahq.org
Phone: 1(800)672-3888

I stand corrected but I don't understand why. Just an fyi.

InGrAM
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
NRA

bwiese
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
I I think I will not become a member of the NRA and just make a flat donation to them. What makes that decision even easier is donations to 501c3's are tax deductible, memberships are not.

*PLEASE* become a member of NRA and CRPA.

NUMBERS COUNT and are the key political issue in having a big voice.

Every "+1" is vitally important.

If NRA were to double its membership nationally and CRPA got to 100K members, we'd be able to have the ATF come over and wax our gunsafes - and CA DOJ BoF would offer a lamination service for your shall-issue CCW and make sure your CLP supply was fully stocked.

GooseGun
03-24-2011, 10:44 AM
The NRA itself is a 501(c)(4), for which contributions are not deductible for Federal income tax purposes. The Foundation and the NRA Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund, for example, are 501(c)(3) organizations, and these contributions may be deductible (however, I am not an attorney or licensed financial professional, and this is not tax advice).

Best Regards,

Andrew

NRA Member Communications
11250 Waples Mill Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
www.nra.org
E-mail: membership@nrahq.org
Phone: 1(800)672-3888

If you donate $1000 dollars, tax deductible makes a big difference.

hoffmang
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
My quote above remains completely valid. Support NRA.

-Gene

Skidmark
03-24-2011, 10:52 AM
I have donated to CGF. Not planning on giving anything to NRA.

bwiese
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
I have donated to CGF. Not planning on giving anything to NRA.

That saddens us CGFers.

As I said above, every +1 in NRA and CRPA membership gives us more political clout.

bwiese
03-24-2011, 11:02 AM
If you donate $1000 dollars, tax deductible makes a big difference.

Yes it does.

And $1000 deductible contribution 'masks out' any ~$20ish (or larger) membership fee.

Remember that the nondeductible stuff is what pays for political warfare.

BigFatGuy
03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
see my signature. ;-)

Steyrlp10
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
What Gene and Bill said :)

I believe that being proactive is much more productive than complaining, no matter how justified the complaint(s) may be. It's like Gene mentioned -- no big organization is perfect, but bugs can be worked out if everyone takes a little piece to work on -- wherever or whatever your talent may be.

For the record, Life membership here for NRA, CRPA, USA Shooting.

ZirconJohn
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes it does.

And $1000 deductible contribution 'masks out' any ~$20ish (or larger) membership fee.

Remember that the nondeductible stuff is what pays for political warfare.

Please elaborate B-dub... :shrug:

DeanW66
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
For the NRA, I joined first time late last year. I held off for many years because my dad was a member and got tons and tons and tons and tons and ... of junk mail, phone calls, etc as a result.

When I learned there is an easy way to tell them "don't share and don't contact me" I signed up as a test. So far (almost 6 months), I have not received any phone calls no unexpected junk mailers, extra magazine offers - ZERO. They call this "Do Not Promote" (found in the FAQ from the member services page):
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

The day my membership number arrived in email, I made the phone call. So far, so good.

For CGF see my sig below.

madmike
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Contrary to what our opponents want everyone to believe, the NRA is not a big faceless corporation of rich, evil, puppy kickers. It's us, all of us. Most politicians understand that, and that is what makes the NRA effective. The Brady Campaign is what, 6 or 7 crazy people? The NRA is over 4 MILLION REAL LIVE AMERICANS, who vote. There is no substitute for the NRA. Being a member only makes US stronger. If I had a dime to my name, I'd buy lifetime memberships for everyone I knew.

green grunt
03-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Been with the NRA much longer then CalGuns , since I was 13yrs old , Dad got me started , am now retired and still support the NRA... ...I will/do support both...
NRA = USA help/info
CalGuns= the best help/info in Kalif. for Kalif.

just my 2 cents

Uxi
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm in CRPA, but reconsidering renewing my NRA (I had let it lapse several years ago due to displeasure with some of their... decisions).

Window_Seat
03-24-2011, 1:05 PM
NRA lifer here... If not for the NRA, Hurricane Katrina confiscation would NOT have happened, because totalitarian confiscation of legally and lawfully owned guns would have happened a long time prior to that.

Everytime a pro-2A guy/gal comes along and says "Oh the NRA this/that, I hate the NRA because they send me mail", the Brady Campaign smiles.

You need to look at the big picture before bashing the NRA.

If everyone who owned firearms and was a member of an organization (like the NRA, or the SAF, or both) which lobbies and litigates for 2A rights; if the NRA member base was double what it is today... Every politician would be scared to death. This is what they fear the most.

This is part of why Pres. Obama doesn't push for anti-2A crap, and this is why Boxer's zero common sense crap CCW bill won't make it, likely not even out of Harry Reed's Senate.

Increase the NRA/SAF/CGF/CRPA/JPFO member base today.

Erik.

uyoga
03-24-2011, 1:13 PM
The NRA is the grandfather of all Civil Rights organizations, especially with respect to Second Amendment rights. If only TEN percent of American Gun Owners would become members of the NRA, it is my opinion that we would not be suffering the vast majority of Second Amendment rights violations we have been programmed to suffer. Think about that.

Please do join and support the NRA, and of course, continue your support of CGF as able when able.

stix213
03-24-2011, 1:15 PM
I've been an NRA member for over a year. I receive a small amount of junk mail, nothing to care about, and get an e-mail from them every other day (half of which informative and the other half junk). Nothing too big a deal. I've never once been called.

Oh, and I also get that American Rifleman magazine which is surprisingly good. The yearly NRA membership fees are worth it for the magazine alone really.

My large donations have been to the CGF, but adding yourself to the big NRA membership number total may be the most important thing you can do for gun rights.

wildhawker
03-24-2011, 1:24 PM
I am a committed NRA Life member, and support them as an organization in spite of some occasional disagreement with their litigation tactics.

My lineup: NRA - SAF - CRPA - CGF

-Brandon

GooseGun
03-24-2011, 4:03 PM
I did some research online and I'm guessing that the reason NRA donations are not tax deductible is because The NRA lobbies. From what I understand, I don't think your allowed to make tax exempt donations to organizations that lobby. I think you would want to donate to the side of NRA that lobbies.

ChuangTzu
03-24-2011, 4:28 PM
So what's a good ratio at which to split contributions between CGF and NRA? I'm especially interested in Gene's opinion on this...

CaliforniaLiberal
03-24-2011, 5:18 PM
So what's a good ratio at which to split contributions between CGF and NRA? I'm especially interested in Gene's opinion on this...

I'd expand that to "What's a good ratio for CGF:SAF:CRPA:NRA?"

Is anyone important left out here?

wildhawker
03-24-2011, 5:26 PM

Madison Society (http://www.madison-society.org/) should not be overlooked.

Paladin
03-24-2011, 5:32 PM

IMHO, those are the top groups for us CA gunnies.

As for me, I went to Life back with the Clinton AWB because I wanted to be able to vote for the NRA's leaders and because I never wanted to let my membership lapse again.

Over the past few years, I've bumped it up the Supra Life ladder because they offered them on sale over the holidays and because of the fight at the federal level and other states. That's probably the last I'll give to the general NRA. I'll switch to donating directly to the NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Affairs: lobbying elected officials), and to the NRA-PVF (Political Victory Fund: campaigning during elections) from now on.

ETA: I'm also a CRPA member.

ETA2: Just to clarify: I've already been supporting the NRA-ILA. It's just that in the future, I'll be supporting them and the NRA-PVF exclusively instead of the general NRA fund.

Now, I've started supporting CGF, which I'll continue to do each year.

When I get more $$$, I'd like to add SAF to my list.

HowardW56
03-24-2011, 5:40 PM
I support CGF, CRPA, and NRA...

I will support the CGF as long as they continue the current course and support California gun owners wrongfully charged, harassed, or whose property has been seized.

I had stopped supporting CRPA several years ago; they had seemed to lose their direction. There is new blood involved now and have begun to support them again, and will continue as long as they maintain their current course.

I am a NRA member, while I don’t always agree with their course of action, they are the elephant in the room, and they are on the same side of the argument that I am (most of the time). I will continue to support them they are the best at getting things done in DC.

Just my opinion, for what that’s worth….

Anchors
03-24-2011, 6:10 PM
Both!

dantodd
03-24-2011, 6:21 PM
Madison Society (http://www.madison-society.org/) should not be overlooked.

Can't imagine why you'd bring them up. :)

Bigtwin
03-24-2011, 7:04 PM
I am an NRA member and I ALWAYS put cash in the CGF bucket at all gunshows I go to that they are at! As monies get better in my household I very well will shove more towards RKBA and other very worthwhile causes!
To shun the NRA is a poor stand point and to do the same to other CA pro gun suporters is not wise either! Spread the wealth is all I am saying...I do so as much as I can!

CRPAGunner
03-24-2011, 7:05 PM
To all you CRPA members......Thanks for your membership and support !!!

I couldn't agree more that EVERY gun owner in California should join the 'Trifecta' of groups fighting for all of us in this state: CRPA/CRPAF (Sorry, I'm biased!), CGN/CGF and NRA.

You have no idea how effectivelly we all work together !! The name of the game is membership, unity and $$$$$............Things have never looked better for our side in a very long time and we need to keep the momentum going...............

Personally, I won't rest until I have an original MG-42 in my safe........Feel me !!!???

nick
03-24-2011, 7:29 PM
I don't see a good reason not to join/donate to the NRA. While you may not agree with EVERYTHING they do (and can you think of a single organization that you're in full agreement with? Didn't think so), there's no substitute for what they routinely bring to the table. If we're to get anywhere with our 2nd Amendment rights, we need the 800-pound gorilla the NRA is.

To those who think that the NRA is compromising too much, well, I used to think that way, as well, and to a point still do. However, how much did the "no-compromise" gun rights orgs accomplish? That is, how much of what they "accomplish" was actually positive? And let's not forget that up until 2008 (which is only 3 years ago) the NRA had to operate in a very different and very hostile environment, much worse than it is today. There was NO officially recognized right to keep and bear arms. After all, we had the National Guard, right? :) What the NRA did during those pre-Heller years was fighting the battle to keep the gun culture in this country alive. Without this culture, even if the Supreme court declared tomorrow that every gun law in the country was null and void as an infringement on the 2nd Amendment, it would largely be quite pointless, as there wouldn't be enough people who care.

Oh, and don't forget that your membership fees, while promoting the other NRA activities, don't go towards lawsuits or direct lobbying, so you might want to donate to the NRA funds that do, they're listed above. I do, and I think I get good ROI from my memberships in and donations to the NRA, CRPA, CGF, and soon CGN and the Madison Society. I wish I got an even comparable ROI from my taxes... Unfortunately, my taxes mostly support exactly the kind of crap the NRA et. al. have to fight on my behalf. Disgusting.

RaceDay
03-24-2011, 7:30 PM
I'm a NRA member and occasionally give extra but get turned off by all of the junk mail that I get plus repeated ILA and other group notices.

If I have extra $$$ I want to donate it goes to CGF. I think they are making a more direct impact and it is tax deductible. So CGF gets most of the money but I definitely want to be a NRA member so that they have the national clout of being a group with X million members.

jdberger
03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Please join the NRA. It's $35. Every additional NRA member means another fistful of political capital.

Please join the CRPA. They're doing good things for us (they defeated the Ammo Ban).

Please join SAF. They smacked the taste out of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's mouth when their lawsuit incorporated the Second Amendment against the States.

Please donate to CGF. They're attacking California's byzantine gun laws on multiple fronts. Lawyers are expensive.

Finally, please join the Fight. We're winning, but we need every available body to hold the line. We need people to show up to events, whether it's a rally in LA, ac court case in SF or a march in Long Beach. Numbers count.

Cool Gun Wife
03-25-2011, 4:47 AM
If NRA were to double its membership nationally and CRPA got to 100K members, we'd be able to have the ATF come over and wax our gunsafes - and CA DOJ BoF would offer a lamination service for your shall-issue CCW

Nice metaphor!!! Hubby and I got our cardio workout laughing at this comment. B, Do I have your permission to use this for my NRA recruiting? I think it will help sell some memberships.