PDA

View Full Version : Favorite inexpensive glock holsters

Joe
10-29-2006, 11:32 AM
I am looking to buy a good, but inexpensive OWB holster for my g19. anyone have any recommendations?

Exiledviking
10-29-2006, 11:39 AM
What are you planning on doing with it? Competition? CCW?

For competition the Uncle Mike's Kydex holsters are superb for the money.

dhl
10-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Lots of folks like the Fobus holsters. They're inexpensive and well made.

Joe
10-29-2006, 12:15 PM
just a holster for the range and for when i go shooting in the mountains. thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Joe
10-29-2006, 2:23 PM
how is a paddle holster different from a belt holster?

dw1784
10-29-2006, 3:45 PM
Hi Joe,
I've got the Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle hoster for my G19. I bought it for $18 and I like it over the belt type because removal is simpler(don't have to take off the belt). I prefer it over my De Santis and leather Bianchi. It's simpler, lighter and easier on reholstering.

The belt is as important as the holster, imho, especially a thick sturdy belt like The Wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt. It's much sturdier and help draw/holster better.

Blackhawks and Fobus are good. Just do't get the roto/adjustable one from Fobus. There's a video of it on youtube where it's snatched(breaks) off of the belt. Also, Fobus dble mag holsters aren't as good as Uncle Mike's, imho, but they're cheaper(think it was >$20).
Hope this helps.:)

Joe
10-29-2006, 4:11 PM
that helped a lot. thanks for the great advice.

Dont Tread on Me
10-29-2006, 4:40 PM
I'm a blade-tech fan. The holsters/mag holders are just more configurable for cant, height, and retention.

For OWB, the tek lock attachment is ok but the gun sticks out a mile from your hip. I found that the paddle keeps the holster closer too me. I have the stingray attachments now to be IDPA legal. Its great but you have to thread your belt through it.

I like the IWB rigs and use one with my G26.

The UCH stuff is a waste of money in my opinion. You're better off looking on glocktalk.com in the CCW thread if you want to see good holsters for CCW.

I wasted a lot of money on Bianchi "retention" rigs and other leather holsters. Kydex is the way to go!

+1 for Wilderness Instructors belts.

Turbinator
11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
I actually prefer the standard Glock brand plastic holsters that you can buy for less than $20. They are somewhat soft plastic "polymer," probably the same stuff that Glock uses for the handguns and magazines. I've read elsewhere that these can break under stress but I've never had a problem with mine when used in IDPA. I bought the holster plus 2 mag pouches and they all work great and won't break the bank.

Turby

JOEKILLA
11-01-2006, 2:25 PM
Im looking into getting a CQC holster from Blackhawk.

m1371
11-05-2006, 2:46 AM

Blackhawks and Fobus are good. Just do't get the roto/adjustable one from Fobus. There's a video of it on youtube where it's snatched(breaks) off of the belt.

Fobus holsters are cheap for a reason. I don't know if I'd call them "well made" either. The hype behind "Israeli-made" and "combat proven" don't carry much weight with me.

Funny thing is, some of the Israelis I've worked with in the past refuse to use Fobus for CCW. Hmmmmm..... Go figure that one out. ;)

The standard Fobus can be broken off the belt, not just the Roto-Holster. Grab the butt of the pistol and rotate it 90deg away from the body and one of two things is going to happen. Either the rivets holding the two halves of the injection-molded plastic body together will separate, freeing the pistol.....Or the entire holster will come off the paddle/belt-loop assembly.

If it's only going to be used for a range plinking gun, well..... okay. But if you're going to expect it to do any kind of real work, spend a few bucks more for a decent holster.

The BH Serpa is so-so..... I am still not sold on the mechanism that secures the pistol inside the holster.

steel-cut
11-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Im looking into getting a CQC holster from Blackhawk.

+1 for Balckhawk CDC.

esskay
11-07-2006, 9:26 PM
I really like my Blackhawk CQC holsters. I have standard version and a SERPA version which works quite nicely.

Stanze
11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I have the Blackhawk CQC CF holster: http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=3478&d=

I bought it at the local Turner's and I really like it! Smooth draw, and the retention screw can hold my Glock 17 in, even if upside down!(haven't tried it with a loaded mag inserted)

I opted for the non-SERPA because I plan on using it for IDPA qualifying matches and want a fast draw time.

I plan on picking up the Blackhawk drop leg rig and SERPA holster for tacti-coolness in the future.

Bryan Whited
11-11-2006, 8:33 AM
I do hear good things about the Blackhawk holster, but do not forget about the Blade-Tech. They are great hoslters too! Been using one for many years now when not running a race holster.

Dont Tread on Me
11-11-2006, 9:07 AM
+1 on Blade Tech. Blackhawk make great products but I worry about their holster for two reasons.

First, any buttons that needs to be pressed complicate the draw stroke. Do some force on force training and you will see what I mean. Also, imagine that you got shot in the strong hand. How are you now going to draw from this holster? This kind of retention is essential for people who have to carry a gun exposed but not if your gun is concealed.

Second, the position of the button on the blackhawk holsters encourages you to apply pressure with the trigger finger while drawing. I believe this could lead to a ND. I'm not talking about drawing on a square range. I'm talking about when you draw with a 250lb mad man on top of you who is trying to beat you into the ground.

The Blade Tech holsters provide enough passive retention for me to do a forward roll - an IDPA test for sufficient retention.

9mmdude
11-13-2006, 5:49 AM
Galco makes a holster called the Fletch that is comes in many sizes. You can usually find used ones in good shape listed for sale in various forums.

m1371
11-14-2006, 3:42 AM
+1 on Blade Tech. Blackhawk make great products but I worry about their holster for two reasons.

First, any buttons that needs to be pressed complicate the draw stroke. Do some force on force training and you will see what I mean. Also, imagine that you got shot in the strong hand. How are you now going to draw from this holster? This kind of retention is essential for people who have to carry a gun exposed but not if your gun is concealed.

Second, the position of the button on the blackhawk holsters encourages you to apply pressure with the trigger finger while drawing. I believe this could lead to a ND. I'm not talking about drawing on a square range. I'm talking about when you draw with a 250lb mad man on top of you who is trying to beat you into the ground.

The Blade Tech holsters provide enough passive retention for me to do a forward roll - an IDPA test for sufficient retention.

Both are good points, in particular about the potential for a ND to occur. There was a discussion on another forum (LEO-related) indicating this has already happened with LEOs in training environments using Simunitions. I'm not 100% sure if there have been any actual live-round NDs yet with the Serpa CQC.

Another is the possibility of dirt or grit jamming up the retention mechanism when you are attempting to draw the weapon. We've got an Army liaison officer working with my company over here in Iraq, and he has run into this situation a couple of times. Supposedly BHI has already addressed this issue.

I'm keen on the Blade-Tech IWB holsters, but I've run into guys who either crank down on the retention screws to the point they couldn't remove the pistol without an explosive charge ( :p ) or they loosen the rention screw up to where the pistol is practically rattling around loose in the holster. There's a "sweet spot" for everyone, problem is a lot of folks don't know what it is.

Lack of adjustability in the retention system is another strike against anything Fobus, IMO.

Joe
11-14-2006, 2:20 PM
Lack of adjustability in the retention system is another strike against anything Fobus, IMO.

My Fobus holster has an adjustment screw.

m1371
11-14-2006, 8:48 PM
My Fobus holster has an adjustment screw.

Looking at the Fobus website, this is what you've got?

https://secure.fobusholster.com/catalog/images/GL-2%20ND(web).jpg

I had heard about this but didn't realize they had released it.

I'll retract my remark about the lack of adjustability in the retention system.

But I bet I can still break the holster off the paddle while you're wearing it. :p

Dont Tread on Me
11-14-2006, 8:58 PM
+ 1 for breaking Fobus holsters. I've also broken an Uncle Mike's mag holder.

I broke a Fobus in a force on force drill and the Uncle Mike's mag holder during a 3 gun match while trying to get low enough to shoot through a really low port.

Interesting point on the dirt and the Black Hawk holster. I had not thought of that.

Joe
11-14-2006, 9:36 PM
Looking at the Fobus website, this is what you've got?

https://secure.fobusholster.com/catalog/images/GL-2%20ND(web).jpg

I had heard about this but didn't realize they had released it.

I'll retract my remark about the lack of adjustability in the retention system.

But I bet I can still break the holster off the paddle while you're wearing it. :p

Yes, that is the holster i got. I really like it. It is very easy to draw but the gun still stays secure. I bought the belt one instead of the paddle. It is a strict range holster and holster for when I'm in the mountains so nothing I will be doing will break it.

Stanze
11-14-2006, 9:58 PM
I have a friend who uses a Blackhawk drop leg SERPA holster for Airsoft. He gets down and dirty with it and it gets covered in dirt and mud all the time.

No issues with the retention system losing the sidearm or failing to engage.

YMMV.

m1371
11-15-2006, 8:09 AM
I have a friend who uses a Blackhawk drop leg SERPA holster for Airsoft. He gets down and dirty with it and it gets covered in dirt and mud all the time.

No issues with the retention system losing the sidearm or failing to engage.

YMMV.

The issue isn't with getting the retention lever to engage, but to get it to disengage and release the handgun.

Dirt, grit, etc etc can get lodged under the portion of the release lever that you press down on and prevent it from pivoting down and releasing the pistol.

Supposedly BHI has already made the necessary corrections though.

Stanze
11-15-2006, 8:39 AM
The issue isn't with getting the retention lever to engage, but to get it to disengage and release the handgun.

Dirt, grit, etc etc can get lodged under the portion of the release lever that you press down on and prevent it from pivoting down and releasing the pistol.

That's what I meant to say, "disengage". He had no problems drawing his sidearm from a covered in mud SERPA holster. Thanks. Good to know they updated it though.

m1371
11-15-2006, 10:14 PM
That's what I meant to say, "disengage". He had no problems drawing his sidearm from a covered in mud SERPA holster. Thanks. Good to know they updated it though.

Gotcha. He might have the "latest and greatest" upgrade. How long has he had it?

I had to get a new drop-leg rig for my Army Major last week when I was down in Kuwait. He got fed up with not being able to get his Beretta out of his holster. :p

kalibear
11-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I use a cheap Bladetech kydex holster that I bought from Brownells. Haven't had any problems with it so far and its been used a lot

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1396&title=SEMI-AUTO+PISTOL+INJECTION+MOLDED+HOLSTER

dw1784
11-16-2006, 1:18 AM

thanks 4da info, m1371. Appreciate ur insight and indepth info.

Indeed, new SERPA is made with different plastic: new paddle design, new screws and stronger mounts.

more info here:
Blackhawk Serpa Holster: Damning Review (http://www.teddytactical.com/archive/Feature/2006/01_Feature.htm)
credits to smjayman at shooter's journal (http://community.livejournal.com/guns/).

stevie
11-17-2006, 6:47 AM
Kydex:

Comp-Tac or Blade Tech

Poohgyrr
11-26-2006, 3:09 PM
Blade Tech's Fitsall IWB.

Blackgun
11-28-2006, 12:42 AM
For cheap, I would say the Fobus is it. NOt much protection buy they get the job done.

voodoo
11-29-2006, 1:19 PM
If you want to go inexpensive, then Uncle Mike's kydex can't be beat. Way better than Fobus imo, and about the same price.

naimad
12-03-2006, 9:39 PM
i like the predator holsters i prefer them over bladetech holsters very good quality kydex holsters

califcowboy
12-09-2006, 7:13 PM
I prefer leather myself. Galco Yaqui Belt Slide.

12-09-2006, 7:16 PM
I don't think that you would go wrong with either the Fobus or the Kydex for what you want to do with it.

cseabass
12-15-2006, 12:10 PM
i like serpas myself, but i dont know what you consider cheap. i think 40-60 is cheap for a decent holster.

some people have trouble with serpas, i love mine. as for the ND issue, i personally have hands large enough to still rest on the gaurd, but i dont think i would have an issue with it if i didnt.

i cant speak for the dirt issues, i havent had a problem with mine, but, i dont hit sandy areas too much. though i have been known to roll around in mud with it on. still no issues.

CA SHOOTER
12-18-2006, 8:44 PM
I really like my Blackhawk CQC holsters. I have standard version and a SERPA version which works quite nicely.

I'm deciding between these two from Blackhawk .
Which one do you like better , it is going to be for a G27 . Mostly range shooting but also don't want it dropping out on a hike in the boonies .

Stanze
12-18-2006, 9:02 PM
I'm deciding between these two from Blackhawk .
Which one do you like better , it is going to be for a G27 . Mostly range shooting but also don't want it dropping out on a hike in the boonies .

Go with the SERPA if you don't want it to drop out. Mine is the non-SERPA, because I want the quick draw factor for IDPA and out of state CCW. I don't want to have to think about anything when drawing my GLOCK 17, no holster release, no external gun safety, just grab, point and shoot.:D

brassburnz
01-08-2007, 6:32 PM
I am looking to buy a good, but inexpensive OWB holster for my g19. anyone have any recommendations?

I know you mention "inexpensive", but you're better off spending a little more money for the LAST holster you'll buy rather than trying out a bunch of cheaper ones.

In the last issue of Guns magazine, Clint Smith talks about self-defense rigs. He goes with Comp-Tac because of the good fit, postitive retention and no excessive bulk. "Everyone it seems is making Kydex something. Comp-Tac is making it right."

This made me happy because my Glock seems to be very happy with the OWB belt holster and Shirt-tucker IWB it sits in. They aren't inexpensive, 60-65 bucks apiece, but I shouldn't need to buy another one, ever.

Randy
NRA Life Member

50 Freak
01-09-2007, 3:37 PM
I really like my Fobus holsters.

True they may break is someone grabs them from the back and twists really really hard, but if you let someone get behind and you and grab your gun, a broken holster is the least of your worries.

I'd say that not getting into a long drawn out wrestling match on the floor for the control of your gun is more on the top of the priority list.

CA SHOOTER
01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
So today I received my Blackhawk Serpa holster for my G27 and I love it . I got the matte black one, not the fancy carbon fiber look . It matches the glock and works well . I got it off Ebay for $37.00 delivered :) .

!@#$
01-13-2007, 8:35 PM
i have a de santis iwb holster. you can find some good deals on the ar15 ee

buffybuster
01-14-2007, 10:22 AM
I prefer leather myself. Galco Yaqui Belt Slide.

I'm with you... whatever happened to leather? A Yaqui belt slide from any one of the many manufacturers would be, has been my choice.

PistolPete75
01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Bladetech

mdhpper
02-03-2007, 1:17 AM
I really like my Fobus holsters.

True they may break is someone grabs them from the back and twists really really hard, but if you let someone get behind and you and grab your gun, a broken holster is the least of your worries.

I'd say that not getting into a long drawn out wrestling match on the floor for the control of your gun is more on the top of the priority list.

For a cheap holster I also recommend Fobus, they are very comfortable and very inexpensive.

PistolPete75
02-16-2007, 1:01 PM

+1, got one too

cgmoe
02-18-2007, 5:08 PM
What I did for my G19 that I use for IDPA

I got a Uncle Mike's Kydex belt loop holster Model # 53211 http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=4452936&catky=3407251&subcatky1=4548802&subcatky2=2000113
(which isn't IDPA legal due to the the gap between the holster and belt loop). Then I removed the belt loop portion (4 screws) and replaced it with a Blade Tech Sting Ray Belt Loop (a $7 part).
http://www.blade-tech.com/SR-Sting-Ray-Belt-loop-w-Hardware-for-Holsters-and-Rifle-Mag-Pouches-pr-962.htmlThe holes on the Sting Ray don't mount up perfectly, but are very close. 2 minutes with a dremel tool and it bolted right up. It's now IDPA legal. This setup looks identical to the Blade-Tech Sting Ray Belt Holster but cost less than 1/2 the price.

Cali-V
02-20-2007, 2:11 PM
On my G17 I use a Blackhawk CQC SERPA... I really like the trigger finger release...

timmy8151
02-20-2007, 7:50 PM
I have a Fobus Roto paddle and think its an average holster. For a little bit more money I'd recommend a G-Code holster. Fit and finish is better than the Fobus and there is a tension screw.

THE 0NE
02-24-2007, 2:43 PM
if you havent found one go down to the SJGE just got in a blackhawk order withsome holsters!!!!!!