PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions

slayer55
03-24-2011, 7:09 AM
Hi I am trying to do the appleseed shoot sometime during the summer so i have plenty of time to practice first :). Any suggestions on what kind of rifle i should use. I have an AR, SKS, Mosin M44, and a Howa 1500. Out of those anyone have suggestions which would be the best for this shoot? I am a good shot with all of them so i would just work on getting better haha. My dad is going to go out and buy himself a .22 for the shoot should i do the same? I'm just trying to get some suggestions Thank You For Any AdVice

Rock6.3
03-24-2011, 7:40 AM
The use of a .22 caliber rimfire for Saturday of an Appleseed allows you to focus on the techniques being instructed without fighting the flinch that a center fire shooter develops as he contemplates the cost of each magazine change.

Whatever you choose, make certain you have the following:
1. Adjustable sights that you can clearly see (some of us need a scope due to tired old eyes).
2. Front sling mount
3. USGI web sling or 1917 style sling
4. At least two magazines, and preferably a spare or two

Knauga
03-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Get a 22.

as_rocketman
03-24-2011, 5:34 PM
Hi I am trying to do the appleseed shoot sometime during the summer so i have plenty of time to practice first :). Any suggestions on what kind of rifle i should use. I have an AR, SKS, Mosin M44, and a Howa 1500. Out of those anyone have suggestions which would be the best for this shoot? I am a good shot with all of them so i would just work on getting better haha. My dad is going to go out and buy himself a .22 for the shoot should i do the same? I'm just trying to get some suggestions Thank You For Any AdVice

You don't need to practice first. After an Appleseed, you may find yourself wishing you hadn't wasted all that ammo... :)

Out of your list, I'd go with the AR.

However, cost is a factor. At an Appleseed, on average, we expend about 500 rounds and sometimes more. For the price of that ammo it may actually be cheaper to pick up a new .22 and shoot that instead. You may even come out ahead factoring in spare mags, Tech Sights, and a sling for the .22.

But it's just a suggestion. You could bring any one of those rifles, and we'll show you how to shoot it better. I've seen all on the line before (except the Howa, though I've seen many Mauser bolts much like it).

docsmileyface
03-24-2011, 5:56 PM
After realizing that for the same price of ammo I could pick up a Marlin 795 and turn it into an Liberty Training Rife and add another gun to my safe or I could buy the 500+ 5.56 rounds needed for the class which would end up empty 5.56 casings I decided to go the LTR route and build a rifle for the class.