PDA

View Full Version : CCI Mini-Mag waxy?

savasyn
03-24-2011, 1:45 AM
I've been shooting CCI Mini-Mags exclusively for about a year and today I came across a batch that was covered in wax. I didn't notice right away as it's fairly dark at this range, but after the 2nd FTF in my Sig522, I figured something was up. I went round by round and scraped off the excess and everything was fine after that. If the other 1000s of rounds I've fired were waxed like this, I never noticed.

Anyone else have this problem or was this just a particularly funky batch?

vietcious
03-24-2011, 3:06 AM
I've had this problem with a bad lot of federal bulks. I emailed them about the problem and they sent me a box of replacements and a return label.

That waxy stuff is a pain to clean off so you might wanna discontinue use for now.

shinbone
03-24-2011, 5:45 AM
wax lube on 22lr is common, but maybe you had a batch that was overlubed. It aids in a good bore seal that aids in even obturation resulting into better accuracy. Cheap bulk is all about cheap and clean since the tolerances are a bit lower and isnt as sorted out. Get some match stuff and see for yourself that its coated in this "waxy" lube..

b18bturboek9
03-24-2011, 2:05 PM
Had a batch of cci sv like this caked on wax i just scraped it off when loading the mags and kept shooting. They have alittle wax on them naturally but dont know if its just from sitting around awhile it caked on or what but fired fine and cleaned rifle after was good to go.

xxINKxx
03-24-2011, 3:15 PM
I hate that wax stuff, I always just shoot federal bulk which has a coating but usually not that bad. Sometimes it's really bad like someone dipped them in a bucket of melted wax and let them cool off

Fadedline
03-24-2011, 3:20 PM
I thought the wax was lube, and promotes better accuracy? I didn't notice any on my mini mags, but Wolf match is really slicked up!

Mamluke
03-24-2011, 7:20 PM
I thought the wax was lube, and promotes better accuracy? I didn't notice any on my mini mags, but Wolf match is really slicked up!

It is indeed wax lube, if you get the mini mags bulk box (375) some of that wax comes off and form small debris particles that might cause some fowling. I stay away from the bulk boxes period....:43:

tacticoolguy
03-24-2011, 7:36 PM
I noticed the wax on some stingers in my buddies heritage mfg. revolver. When loading the rounds into the cylinder it left some residue. Kinda sucks, but there was no problems with the rounds actually going off.

USMC VET
03-24-2011, 9:50 PM
Been shooting CCI mini mags (round and hollows), stingers and have never had this issue. Is it really necessary for them to do this or could it just be bad batches?

savasyn
03-24-2011, 9:52 PM
Thanks guys.
These weren't bulk packed, they were in the 100 round plastic box. As I said before, I've been using these exclusively for about a year and just never noticed them being waxy before. I guess they've just never been so over waxed that they caused failures before.

Justintoxicated
03-25-2011, 4:54 PM
I have some Lapua ammo and when I shoot it I need to bring a hand towel to wipe my hands off after loading...