PDA

View Full Version : Time for Hayward PD to get smacked down concerning their CCW policy.

m1aowner
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Read this garbage. It's full of failure.

http://user.govoutreach.com/hayward/faq.php?cid=11074

"A concealed weapon permit is issued only under rare and exigent circumstances." WHA?!

It's those exact "rare and exigent circumstances" that happen to people everyday where self protection should be 'good cause' enough to carry, because the police can't be everywhere at all times as we know.

A psych and poly test at my expense? None of that is required to buy a gun.

And Hayward is a trashy place now. Lots of unsavories walking the streets. Not a safe city at all.

Librarian
03-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Too many bad cities, and this one is in Alameda County, already identified as 'less than enthusiastic' about CCW.

wildhawker
03-24-2011, 12:36 AM
The cities in Alameda County were some of the first entities to be subjected to our Carry License Reform & Sunshine Initiative PRARs. Hayward's policy was 'interesting' but Fremont - both as-written and as-applied- is certainly the most perfidious. I will say that the people I worked with at Hayward PD during the investigation were some of, if not the most, pleasant and professional in all of Alameda County.

If I can ever get hours 25 and 26 out of a day, I'll eventually publish the data we gathered from the various cities.

-Brandon

m1aowner
03-24-2011, 1:03 AM
You're right Fremont is nuts. Their policy must've been written by the Bradys.

And what's this Open Carry map business on their site? Is that schools circled?

http://www.fremontpolice.org/pdfs/pdfs/carrymap.pdf

The cities in Alameda County were some of the first entities to be subjected to our Carry License Reform & Sunshine Initiative PRARs. Hayward's policy was 'interesting' but Fremont - both as-written and as-applied- is certainly the most perfidious. I will say that the people I worked with at Hayward PD during the investigation were some of, if not the most, pleasant and professional in all of Alameda County.

If I can ever get hours 25 and 26 out of a day, I'll eventually publish the data we gathered from the various cities.

-Brandon

Librarian
03-24-2011, 1:59 AM
And what's this Open Carry map business on their site? Is that schools circled?

http://www.fremontpolice.org/pdfs/pdfs/carrymap.pdf

Zoom in and you can see schools named in the centers of the red outlines. They seem to have actually tried to make the boundaries the right shape, following the apparent outlines of the school properties.

That suggests they may be active in enforcing GFSZs - a complete waste of time, but it's on the books.

WolfmanJak
03-24-2011, 2:03 AM
Balderdash! I live in a trashy part of hayward, in fact im in unincorperated hayward, HPD practically refuses to talk to me, "call the sherrif."

There was a fatal shooting about a block from my house some months ago :/

Not only that but my girlfriend and I have been harrassed by our Ex's, including death threats. But the courts have told us that there needs to be an attempt on our lives before they would even think of doing a restraining order.

I told my girlfriend if i get shot and killed, that i don't want my name ending up in the brady campaign slogan, but rather that i died because i wasn't allowed to carry my gun

Window_Seat
03-24-2011, 6:11 AM
I know that Newark wants something like $1250.00 for a license according to the Master Fee Schedule (http://www.newark.org/images/uploads/finance/pdfs/Master_Fee_Schedule_2010-11.pdf), and I have no idea of what their policy is. Just my sitting opinion, but our mayor is someone who LOVES taxes. He will take EVERYTHING you have and make you stand in a bread line, then take the bread you have and give you only the crust if he could, then flush the bread down his gold plated toilet.

If applying for a CCW, the Sheriff is the place to apply when (NOT IF) it's ***TIME TO APPLY***, unless there are more options that I'm unaware of.

The good cause statements (http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/89-alameda) are on the Calguns CCW Information Forum (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116) for Alameda County (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352738).

Erik.

Andy Taylor
03-24-2011, 6:28 AM
City PDs who don't issue are largely irrelivent. City residents can skip the local PD and go to the sheriff. While it is nice for city residents if PDs issue, there is far more "bang for the buck" so to speak, by going after the sheriff who won't issue, than the police chief who won't.

sjalterego
03-24-2011, 7:29 AM
Yes, if you zoom in at the lower left of the map is a key and the key indicates that the red lines are meant to establish what they call a "10000 ft Buffer" around schools. The Green color is for Fremont Public Schools and the tan color is for private schools.

Uxi
03-24-2011, 7:39 AM
Interesting map. I hate hate hate the whole GFSZ business (especially since my house is locked within the area from 3 separate schools). Every law enforcement agency that's going to enforce the retarded law should be required to publish such maps. While I'd argue schools would be safer with armed eachers, etc I could live with them restricting to their grounds (even the parking lots), but there should at least be an exception going to and from your home.

Decoligny
03-24-2011, 7:56 AM
Balderdash! I live in a trashy part of hayward, in fact im in unincorperated hayward, HPD practically refuses to talk to me, "call the sherrif."

There was a fatal shooting about a block from my house some months ago :/

Not only that but my girlfriend and I have been harrassed by our Ex's, including death threats. But the courts have told us that there needs to be an attempt on our lives before they would even think of doing a restraining order.

I told my girlfriend if i get shot and killed, that i don't want my name ending up in the brady campaign slogan, but rather that i died because i wasn't allowed to carry my gun

If Hayward is a city, there is by definition, NO unincorporated Hayward. You probably live just outside of the city limits, and as someone who DOES NOT live within the city limits, you are required to apply through the Sherrif.

Wherryj
03-24-2011, 2:42 PM
Interesting map. I hate hate hate the whole GFSZ business (especially since my house is locked within the area from 3 separate schools). Every law enforcement agency that's going to enforce the retarded law should be required to publish such maps. While I'd argue schools would be safer with armed eachers, etc I could live with them restricting to their grounds (even the parking lots), but there should at least be an exception going to and from your home.

Any city that attempts to enforce these laws should have to paint colored zones ONTO the STREETS for each of the GFSZs. They can chose the coloring and/or cross-hatch pattern of their choice, as it is not spelled out in that heinous law, but anything less seems like entrapment.

How is someone supposed to know where the magic, invisible zone of disarmament starts without proper warning? I don't suddenly run into a surprise magical strip search while driving through town in the general 1000 ft vacinity of an airport. I don't suddenly get surprised by a metal detector and search while driving within a vague 1000 foot vacinity of a courthouse. Yet, somehow I am expected to just KNOW where these magical zones exist.

Even with the zones marked on an internet map, which I WILL give them credit for as my own PD willfully hides their zones, how is anyone expected to know that the map exists, where it is, how to read it and properly interpret the boundary such that there is no inadvertant violation of this zone?

epilepticninja
03-24-2011, 8:53 PM
•submit to a psychological examination at the applicant's expense
•submit to a polygraph examination at the applicant's expense

Uh, Mr. Police Chief, I'm applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon, not to be accepted into your department as a sworn police officer, kthx.

WWDHD?
03-25-2011, 1:06 AM
I live in Alameda county and I'm sure it'll be the last county in CA to ever willingly issue CCWs to any common surf like myself. Even if by some miracle some judge ordered them to they'd drag their feet every step of the way.

NSR500
03-25-2011, 3:46 AM
Any information regarding Union City?