PDA

View Full Version : Dewey cleaning rods for your OLL's

Turbinator
10-29-2006, 8:56 AM
Hey, might as well be the first to post here. For those who are new to AR's, and maybe rifles in general, I'd like to suggest that you look for and pick up a Dewey cleaning rod. These are 1 piece, nylon coated, bearing loaded cleaning rods. Very sturdy and built to last. They come in various lengths. I picked one up from Midway long time ago and have just started using it recently. A great addition to your cleaning kit.

Here's why it's better IMHO:

1) One piece - no sections to bend, unscrew, or threads to strip, as with other sectioned aluminum cleaning rods.

2) Bearing loaded - the rod has a bearing in the handle, which allows the rod to spin as the rifling twists your brush or patch in the bore of your rifle.

3) Sturdy - this thing can be used as a self defense cane if needed! My guess is that it'll never break under normal usage, and probably not even break of used as a weapon.

4) Nylon coated - the nylon is impervious to cleaning solutions, and doesn't pick up residue or bits that could harm the bore or crown.

Just my thoughts here, and if you can find one on sale at Midway's, I'd suggest checking one!

Turby

Rascal
10-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Turby,
What length did you buy and for what rifle with barrel length?
Thanks

peepshowal
10-29-2006, 4:18 PM
Can someone explain why one should choose male or female ends?
Is one better or have more accessories available? Thank you.

ocabj
10-29-2006, 4:44 PM
I use a Dewey 22CF30 (.22 caliber, coated, female, 30") for service rifles. This will work with a 20" barrel with a bore guide. If you have a 24" barrel, you'll need a longer rod.

Can someone explain why one should choose male or female ends?

This is the text right off of Dewey's site:

Male threading allows us to have a 7 to 9 times thicker coating on the rod, giving the bore better protection and durability.

I use mostly male rods except for my service rifles (the M1 Garand and AR rods). I don't know why. I think it's because when I was shopping for rods, the Dewey site specifically cited the 22CF30 for AR service rifle use and the 30CF24 for service rifle M1 Garand use. All my other Deweys are male ended.

Ford8N
11-01-2006, 6:35 AM

4) Nylon coated - the nylon is impervious to cleaning solutions, and doesn't pick up residue or bits that could harm the bore or crown.

Turby

The coating on my Dewey was softened by Sweets 7.62. FYI
My fault, I didn't wipe it down when done.

Turbinator
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
The coating on my Dewey was softened by Sweets 7.62. FYI
My fault, I didn't wipe it down when done.

Ahh, good point - thanks. I always wipe down my cleaning stuff when I'm done, with an old sock or rag.

I checked my rod last night (har har, he said "rod") and noted that it also is a male thread, the 30" model.

Unfortunately, I also bent the brass jag tip that goes on the end for when you want to push patches through the bore. I guess I'll need to go find a replacement.

Turby

xrMike
11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately, I also bent the brass jag tip that goes on the end for when you want to push patches through the bore. I guess I'll need to go find a replacement.

TurbyDid you just bend the skinny little pointy part? I did that once when I dropped my Dewey rod on the patio out back during a cleaning session; it landed right on the point and bent it to the side. I got a pair of pliers, wrapped the jaws in a rag so as not to scratch or gouge anything, and bent the point back into place -- straight up. Brass is pretty soft stuff, so it bent easily.

Oh, I also wipe the entire length of the rod down with a soft rag after EVERY TIME that I push a brush or patch through the bore. Call me compulsive, but I figure this prevents almost any grit or particles from ever getting embedded in the nylon that coats the rod.

Turbinator
11-05-2006, 1:14 AM
Did you just bend the skinny little pointy part? I did that once when I dropped my Dewey rod on the patio out back during a cleaning session; it landed right on the point and bent it to the side. I got a pair of pliers, wrapped the jaws in a rag so as not to scratch or gouge anything, and bent the point back into place -- straight up. Brass is pretty soft stuff, so it bent easily.

You got it. I tried to bend it back in place, but not so much luck there. I'd rather just buy a new one. If the jag is crooked, it could start scratching my bore, and I don't want that to happen.

Oh, I also wipe the entire length of the rod down with a soft rag after EVERY TIME that I push a brush or patch through the bore. Call me compulsive, but I figure this prevents almost any grit or particles from ever getting embedded in the nylon that coats the rod.

I wipe down too - the rod picks up residue from the bore and I'd rather not be putting that back INTO the bore, so I wipe it off each swipe, to ensure that the bore gets cleaner, not dirtier, during cleaning.

Turby

pacificamark
11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Still being new to the world of guns I wonder if people would consider a system that cleans from chamber to muzzle better than putting a rod down the muzzle end of a rifle?

Have you seen the Otis system for cleaning? I just tried one out on a rifle and like it A LOT better than using the rod down the muzzle method which just pushed junk toward the action.

Turbinator
11-06-2006, 3:49 PM
Still being new to the world of guns I wonder if people would consider a system that cleans from chamber to muzzle better than putting a rod down the muzzle end of a rifle?

Have you seen the Otis system for cleaning? I just tried one out on a rifle and like it A LOT better than using the rod down the muzzle method which just pushed junk toward the action.

How about an Outer's Foul Out system? I don't own one, but a friend does, and I've heard great things about it. No scrubbing necessary, and it doesn't matter if you go in through the muzzle or the chamber.

Turby

blkA4alb
11-06-2006, 3:54 PM
I use a Dewey rod and don't clean from muzzle to chamber. I use a JP bore guide (awesome cleaning tool that every AR owner needs) and clean from chamber to muzzle.

Turbinator
11-07-2006, 8:10 AM
I use a Dewey rod and don't clean from muzzle to chamber. I use a JP bore guide (awesome cleaning tool that every AR owner needs) and clean from chamber to muzzle.

Cool, I also use a chamber guide, it's made of plastic and works great. I also recommend this for all OLL users.

Turby

11-24-2006, 2:54 AM
I have a Dewey cleaning rod that I have been using for about three years. No problems or complaints. What do you guys think of the Otis cleaning kits?

bwiese
11-28-2006, 3:55 PM
I have 3 Dewey rods. I keep a short 20" rod in my truck at all times, the other 2 are in the coat closet (one's for 308).

Need to get a couple for handguns.

MrTenX
12-02-2006, 8:51 AM
The Dewey rods are pretty good.
However, IMHO the Bore Tech Bore Stix (http://boretech.com/bore_stix.htm) is a far superior cleaning rod.
Compared to the Dewey rods, they have a larger (and cushioned) handle and the rod rotates much better in the handle so jags and brushes don't unscrew while in use.
They may be a little bit more expensive but well worth it.

Also, a rod guide is essential. I use Sinclair rod guides (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPCRGSR&type=store).