PDA

View Full Version : Judge requests fee records in Heller case

Maestro Pistolero
03-23-2011, 2:28 PM
The judge has requested anonymous fee records for attorneys who worked on the Heller case. I certainly hope the judge doesn't consider the fees of second-rate volunteer city attorneys to be a valid pay scale for the likes of Alan Gura.
http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2011/03/dc-judge-requests-three-firms-rates-in-legal-fee-dispute.html

joefreas
03-23-2011, 2:34 PM
Over 3 mil sounds high but the best lawyers can charge it, deservingly.

press1280
03-23-2011, 2:39 PM
Well if DC hadn't pushed so hard for their gun ban they wouldn't have had to pay so much. We'll see if they've learned their lesson when(if ever) Palmer moves forward.

Maestro Pistolero
03-23-2011, 2:45 PM
I hope they raise his bill a million or so.

joefreas
03-23-2011, 2:46 PM
I hope they raise his bill a million or so.

That would make my day! :D

Sutcliffe
03-23-2011, 2:48 PM
Very well spoken. I don't care if he makes his bank now or later.
He could do make a serious living as a dog walker.

nicki
03-23-2011, 2:49 PM
Well, the Judge made a comment about the law firms donating "Outstanding Lawyers" to defend DC.

Sounds like he is sucking up to the law firms to get them to cooperate.

These "Outstanding Lawyers" lost the case. Of course these "Outstanding Lawyers" probably have high billing rates which means that "Alan Gura" probably didn't ask for "enough".

Alan Gura doesn't belong in the class of "Outstanding Lawyers", when all is done, he will be "Legendary".:43:

Nicki

dantodd
03-23-2011, 2:55 PM
Alan Gura doesn't belong in the class of "Outstanding Lawyers", when all is done, he will be "Legendary".:43:

Truly I hope that "When all is said and done" Mr. Gura will be more commonly addressed as Justice Gura.

Nodda Duma
03-23-2011, 3:00 PM
Truly I hope that "When all is said and done" that Mr. Gura will be more commonly addressed as Justice Gura.

Now wouldn't that be something...

J.D.Allen
03-23-2011, 3:10 PM
Truly I hope that "When all is said and done" Mr. Gura will be more commonly addressed as Justice Gura.

That right there is sig line material

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
03-23-2011, 3:19 PM
I certainly hope the judge doesn't consider the fees of second-rate volunteer city attorneys to be a valid pay scale for the likes of Alan Gura.

Walter Dellinger, one of the pre-eminent appellant lawyers in the country, is a "second-rate volunteer city attorney"? :rolleyes:

hoffmang
03-23-2011, 3:19 PM
I am quite confident that the billing rate Alan is asking for is below the rate that his oral argument opponent receives.

:gura:

-Gene

Maestro Pistolero
03-23-2011, 3:22 PM
Walter Dellinger, one of the pre-eminent appellant lawyers in the country, is a "second-rate volunteer city attorney"? :rolleyes:

Of course not. You think he was the only attorney that worked on the on the case? :confused:

wildhawker
03-23-2011, 3:24 PM

Regardless of how you feel about him, Dellinger in no case can or should be considered a "second-rate volunteer city attorney".

I am quite confident that the billing rate Alan is asking for is below the rate that his oral argument opponent receives.

:gura:

-Gene

That will be an amusing contrast for D.C. to explain.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
03-23-2011, 3:28 PM
Of course not. You think he was the only attorney that worked on the on the case? :confused:

Well, which second-rate volunteer city attorneys from the 3 firms whose records the judge is looking at were you referring to?

hoffmang
03-23-2011, 3:31 PM
Well, which second-rate volunteer city attorneys from the 3 firms whose records the judge is looking at were you referring to?

You don't always hear me saying this, but Fabio is exactly correct here. The three external firms (and the lawyers at them) are some of the best in the nation. Guessing, I'd bet Dellinger is billing in the range of $1200/hr.

-Gene

Untamed1972
03-23-2011, 3:33 PM
The judge has requested anonymous fee records for attorneys who worked on the Heller case. I certainly hope the judge doesn't consider the fees of second-rate volunteer city attorneys to be a valid pay scale for the likes of Alan Gura.http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2011/03/dc-judge-requests-three-firms-rates-in-legal-fee-dispute.html

But I thought public sector employees were making 25% more than their pvt. sector counter parts? Shouldn't Gura want to be aid at the "higher public sector' wage?

IGOTDIRT4U
03-23-2011, 4:43 PM
You don't always hear me saying this, but Fabio is exactly correct here. The three external firms (and the lawyers at them) are some of the best in the nation. Guessing, I'd bet Dellinger is billing in the range of $1200/hr.

-Gene

Holy ****! $1200/hour!?!? I guess someone's clients can't complain about a certain rate a certain person charges them! :rolleyes: I need to speak to someone about my rates!!!

Maestro Pistolero
03-23-2011, 5:29 PM
I hope Gura is about to get a raise. Wouldn't that be friggin' rich irony? In any case, it gladdens me that the win in Heller was up against such high-brow firms. All the more convincing the win.

blakdawg
03-23-2011, 5:42 PM
The "request" from the judge for billing records was caused by a request from Alan Gura - this was Gura's idea, the judge has recently agreed to go along with it.

Andy Taylor
03-23-2011, 6:01 PM
Does Mr. Gura get to collect interest after all this stalling BS?

Gray Peterson
03-23-2011, 8:20 PM
Does Mr. Gura get to collect interest after all this stalling BS?

Yep.

taperxz
03-23-2011, 8:29 PM
I don't want to sound trivial on this but money is just money. The real fun part of this whole thing is what will other states and municipalities do when they know they have to fight the fight and Gura is in the ring???

ShootinMedic
03-23-2011, 8:52 PM
Great news for Mr. Gura!

yellowfin
03-23-2011, 9:02 PM
I'm guessing DC had to try with the best they could get because their position was (and current laws still are) totally indefensible beyond all possibility.

N6ATF
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't want to sound trivial on this but money is just money. The real fun part of this whole thing is what will other states and municipalities do when they know they have to fight the fight and Gura is in the ring???

They'll continue fighting because their primary intent is to have as many innocents disarmed and victimized for as long as possible. If that takes decades, all the more blood to dance in. They can just flip Gura the bird when they lose and refuse to pay until hell freezes over.

Abominog
03-24-2011, 7:37 AM
Face it, DC can afford a few million. They fight it only because they can.

Now, if the fight were taken to small municipalities, with elected DAs and judges, they might start to think before they fight a 2A case, knowing that a bad decision to prosecute and take to trial is going to cost money, and as a result, their jobs.

yellowfin
03-24-2011, 7:50 AM
Isn't DC also going broke like most municipalities are these days?

pitchbaby
03-24-2011, 7:57 AM
Well, the Judge made a comment about the law firms donating "Outstanding Lawyers" to defend DC.

Sounds like he is sucking up to the law firms to get them to cooperate.

These "Outstanding Lawyers" lost the case. Of course these "Outstanding Lawyers" probably have high billing rates which means that "Alan Gura" probably didn't ask for "enough".

Nicki

AND THAT ^^^ is why I made him take a picture with me... LOL!

dantodd
03-24-2011, 8:00 AM
Isn't DC also going broke like most municipalities are these days?

I suspect they will be a lot more wary of "free legal help" in defending future bad laws. This is exactly what such fee recovery schemes are designed to do, discourage repeated bad behavior. If Gura and Heller had no chance to recover fees from the city there is no reason that D.C. wouldn't continue to pass incrementally more byzantine regulations with free legal support until Gura could no longer afford to correct the problem and no plaintiff would step forward for fear that any progress would be tiny and reversed as soon as the D.C. council re-convened.

Pixs
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
They don't care how much tax payer money they spend.

AJAX22
03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
At what rate are they applying interest?

Dc's screwing around Could be significantly better than a C.D. ;)

Uxi
03-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Indeed. For California, Chief Justice Gura sounds better? :D

RP1911
03-24-2011, 1:09 PM
I'd like to see them lose and then drag their feet. Hopefully Gura can get the US Marshals to confiscate their assets to satisfy the judgement.

Not even sure if this possinle. Wake me up...