PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Taking a class right now......

markslyon
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
And you would be appalled at the disinformation being given to new and requalifying peace officers. Mis informed instructor is telling everyone that possession of any high cap magazine in the state of CA by average citizens is illegal. Also some AR-15 FUD going out. Blah.

CitaDeL
03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Two words;

FLOW CHART....

Davidwhitewolf
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear that; you might take copious notes and post details like Bombmaster did in this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5156939#post5156939) and this one. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=356087)

I wrote it up here (http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/?p=9931) for those who want the short version.

markslyon
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
These new cops are going to jack up some 100% legal gun owners because of this.

bwiese
03-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Please refer me/CGF to the necessary person to contact, the class, his organization, etc.

markslyon
03-23-2011, 1:04 PM
POST sadly enough. It's peace officer training. I just quietly emailed the instructor all the flowcharts so as not to be disrespectful.

Window_Seat
03-23-2011, 1:41 PM
Maybe this is a good time for CGF/SAF to go after P.O.S.T.

Erik.

markslyon
03-23-2011, 1:44 PM
Just to update the instructor looked at the info and corrected himself and was receptive to the information I gave him from cal guns. I'm pretty sure the damage is done though.

bwiese
03-23-2011, 1:47 PM
Just to update the instructor looked at the info and corrected himself and was receptive to the information I gave him from cal guns. I'm pretty sure the damage is done though.

Quietly talk to others in the class and 'update them' with the CG flowchart.

They may end up buying guns :)

mattmcg
03-23-2011, 2:00 PM
Nice to correct the information from the top. The best way to defend our freedoms in this state is by helping educate those that enforce the laws.

wildhawker
03-23-2011, 2:44 PM
POST sadly enough. It's peace officer training. I just quietly emailed the instructor all the flowcharts so as not to be disrespectful.

As Bill said, please discreetly get he/CGF the info on the instructor/course so we can have Jason follow up.

-Brandon

tileguy
03-23-2011, 2:56 PM
it sucks that the gun community has to educate the ones that should know the laws they enforce.if it were not for calguns alot of us would not know the laws that we do and could really get jacked up by the police that have no clue.

quig
03-23-2011, 3:01 PM
How about this one:

I took a rifle/AR class last month. There we some reserve cops and some regular Joe's. Instead of dealing with the BB like the other Joe's, I brought in my featureless (hammerhead grip) so that I could drop mags and use my high-caps.

I knew going in that I would get looks from the instructor. Of course, since he is a LEO, he doesn't have to worry about the flow chart like us.

Anyhow, he insisted that it is "legal" to use high-cap mags with a BB! He went on to say that a Ventura County district attorney said that he researched it and concluded it was not illegal. This is how the DA had his rifle set up for the class; BB with high cap.

Didn't buy into it. Just because he is a DA, it doesn't mean he is right. I am still sticking with my featureless. Although, I have considered trying to contact him to see why he believes it is ok.

Anyone else ever hear something like this?

Flopper
03-23-2011, 3:22 PM
He went on to say that a Ventura County district attorney said that he researched it and concluded it was not illegal. This is how the DA had his rifle set up for the class; BB with high cap.

Hmm, he was probably just bluffing so he could get away with it during the class, but--

I wonder if we could somehow use said DA's legal opinion to help us out. . .

stix213
03-23-2011, 3:32 PM
How about this one:

I took a rifle/AR class last month. There we some reserve cops and some regular Joe's. Instead of dealing with the BB like the other Joe's, I brought in my featureless (hammerhead grip) so that I could drop mags and use my high-caps.

I knew going in that I would get looks from the instructor. Of course, since he is a LEO, he doesn't have to worry about the flow chart like us.

Anyhow, he insisted that it is "legal" to use high-cap mags with a BB! He went on to say that a Ventura County district attorney said that he researched it and concluded it was not illegal. This is how the DA had his rifle set up for the class; BB with high cap.

Didn't buy into it. Just because he is a DA, it doesn't mean he is right. I am still sticking with my featureless. Although, I have considered trying to contact him to see why he believes it is ok.

There have been several past threads here about LEO's who legally have high cap mags and BB'd OLL's illegally using them together. Usually with them on their face boot page or something else equally as stupid. Last one I remember had clear plastic mags so you could tell for sure they were full capacity 30 rounders. Problem is even when cops break the law, there are few other cops chomping at the bit to bust them so the behavior and misinformation is perpetuated instead of corrected by those charged with the task.

Glock22Fan
03-23-2011, 3:43 PM
Hmm, he was probably just bluffing so he could get away with it during the class, but--

I wonder if we could somehow use said DA's legal opinion to help us out. . .

Just about every lawsuit has a bunch of lawyers saying one thing and another bunch saying the exact opposite.

uberfiend
03-23-2011, 3:59 PM
Just about every lawsuit has a bunch of lawyers saying one thing and another bunch saying the exact opposite.

In a criminal case though, the other party is represented by... the DA. I doubt a letter from a Deputy District Attorney would amount to a legal defense, but in that county it would probably help the cop decide to let you go. In that county, it might help the DA decide not to file, and after filing it might help settle the case. If it's the District Attorney, you might get more mileage out of it.

Munk
03-24-2011, 12:47 AM
There have been several past threads here about LEO's who legally have high cap mags and BB'd OLL's illegally using them together. Usually with them on their face boot page or something else equally as stupid. Last one I remember had clear plastic mags so you could tell for sure they were full capacity 30 rounders. Problem is even when cops break the law, there are few other cops chomping at the bit to bust them so the behavior and misinformation is perpetuated instead of corrected by those charged with the task.

I would love to see one of the other LEOs there just walk up to him.... "sorry bill, you're under arrest, I just watched you manufacture an illegal assault weapon as defined by the state of california."

cmichini
03-24-2011, 7:15 AM
How about this one:

Didn't buy into it. Just because he is a DA, it doesn't mean he is right means he will not be prosecuted when caught due to 'professional courtesy'. I am still sticking with my featureless. Although, I have considered trying to contact him to see why he believes it is ok.

See modification above. I think that is why the DA didn't care about flouting the law. He will never be held accountable because he's 'in the club'.

You're smart to ingore whatever others are doing and stay within the law youreself. Afterall, when you're proned out, and cuffed and stuffed, saying 'but DA Dooshie Doosh said it was legal' is only going to get the LEO's to roll their eyes before they start the booking process.

uyoga
03-24-2011, 7:43 AM
Keep up the good work. This is all part of the "Eternal Vigilance" thing.