PDA

View Full Version : Do serial number inquiry hits depend on caliber?

Window_Seat
03-23-2011, 1:03 AM
Scenario & question:

LEO runs a serial number on a handgun.

Do any "want hits" or "DROS hits" depend on the caliber of the handgun being entered properly, or does the caliber not have to be entered into a LEA inquiry system for there to be a hit?

Erik.

Kharn
03-23-2011, 2:46 AM
NCIC just runs manufacturer and serial number IIRC.

bigstick61
03-23-2011, 3:00 AM
One curious thing is that when the police ran the serial on my pistol they said it was listed as having been destroyed by court order although the LEO who ran it returned it to me and that never became an issue. I just though it was odd,especially since it had been registered to me when I bought it as the law requires. It was not in my name when they ran the check. I no longer have it so it is irrelevant now but still I wonder about this.

Crom
03-23-2011, 9:40 AM
Try posting in the LEO subforum. I too am curious about the AFS and how the interface actually works.

Window_Seat
03-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Try posting in the LEO subforum. I too am curious about the AFS and how the interface actually works.

Good suggestion, thanks.:cool: Mods? Can this be moved to LEO Forum?

Erik.

mej16489
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Its been many moons since I've done it, but it used to be simply serial number with a return of all the records for that number by make, model & disposition.

Its even possible to have completely different guns with the same serial number...

cmichini
03-23-2011, 11:26 AM
One curious thing is that when the police ran the serial on my pistol they said it was listed as having been destroyed by court order although the LEO who ran it returned it to me and that never became an issue. I just though it was odd,especially since it had been registered to me when I bought it as the law requires. It was not in my name when they ran the check. I no longer have it so it is irrelevant now but still I wonder about this.

He probably gave it back to you since the being 'destroyed' database entry actually meant transitioned to an LEO's personal collection. :TFH:

bigstick61
03-23-2011, 6:08 PM
He probably gave it back to you since the being 'destroyed' database entry actually meant transitioned to an LEO's personal collection. :TFH:

That was kind of my thought as well, especially since the guy who had it on consignment at the store I bought it from was a retired cop.

I know some sheriffs in the LASD who were able to amass huge collections from seized guns before that became verboten.

Mstrty
03-23-2011, 7:34 PM

Or he understand that some manufactures have multiple identical serial numbers to like firearms.

bigstick61
03-23-2011, 8:09 PM
Or he understand that some manufactures have multiple identical serial numbers to like firearms.

Colt?

Mstrty
03-23-2011, 8:17 PM
Colt?

Colt did it Smith did it. Im sure there are many.

Tripper
03-23-2011, 8:21 PM
My smith 357 revolver serial number, returns 2 names, mine and the owner of a 44 nag revolver with same serial and also a smith

Caliber and make both matter.

SVT-40
03-24-2011, 5:02 PM
The (AFS) Automated Firearms System) which California LEO's can access via their in car computers or at the station has information on all firearms which are stolen, lost, found, held as evidence or safekeeping, confiscated. Handgun DROS, Assault weapons and firearms which were self registered are also listed.

You can query the system by running a serial number or by running a persons name. If you run a serial number all firearms with that exact number will show on the return.

Remember there are many firearms with the same serial number. The way to differentiate one from the other is the return also lists the firearms manufacturer, model, caliber, barrel length (pistol only) and finish.

So you could have a S&W M15 pistol with a serial number of 12345, and a colt Python with the same number. If you ran either one both would show on the return. It would be simple to differentiate the two.

It get harder when you have a rifle such as a WWII Mauser or Luger, P-38 ect. Since the serial numbering sequence involved a set of only four numbers then a letter (which could be lower or upper case). Add to that many people (dealers included) often fail to note the letter as a part of the serial number. This means there are in fact many many similar or identical rifles with the same numbers in their serial number.

As far as running a person, a query would return all handguns acquired (after 1991 I think that's the date) via a DROS or self registration (including registered assault weapons) .