PDA

View Full Version : FIXING SCRATCHES ON A BLACK GUN?

DIRTY HARRY
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I HAVE PTR91 AND GOT A FEW SCRATCHES I THINK ITS FROM THE ROUNDS BEING EJECTED HOW DO YOU TOUCH IT UP? WHATS GOOD ON GUNS LIKE THAT. THANKS

rbetts
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Birchwood Casey Makes flat and glossy black touch up pens that work great.

Colt-45
03-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Birchwood Casey Makes flat and glossy black touch up pens that work great.

^^This works great^^. Birchwood Casey also makes a blueing pen.

joelogic
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
No need to yell, buddy.

Did you try to clean it? Brass marks all guns that have a surface to hit against.

DIRTY HARRY
03-22-2011, 10:38 PM
sorry fixed it "caps" the marks are down to the metal. i dont know if it happend when i went out shooting i had it in a soft case and had it bungeed to the roll bar on my friends rihno i think the bungee strap metal hooks might have gone through the case. didnt see it till i got home. i was bummed. thought about fixing it with SEM trim black paint its dtm.

vintagearms
03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I HAVE PTR91 AND GOT A FEW SCRATCHES I THINK ITS FROM THE ROUNDS BEING EJECTED HOW DO YOU TOUCH IT UP? WHATS GOOD ON GUNS LIKE THAT. THANKS

Must not respond. Must not respond.....:banghead:

stitchnicklas
03-22-2011, 10:41 PM
time for a duracoat theme change...:D

KOTU
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
OH MY GOD SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. MY CAPS LOCK GOT STUCK. ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR FIVE MONTHS. NOT BEING ABLE TO TAKE MY COMPUTER OFF CAPS LOCK HAS PRETTY MUCH RUINED MY LIFE. EVERYONE THINKS IM YELLING AT THEM AND I'VE LOST ALL MY FRIENDS, MY WIFE LEFT ME, I GOT FIRED LAST WEEK BECAUSE I "COULDN'T TALK NICELY TO CUSTOMERS." I HOPE YOU CAN GET YOURS FIXED BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Colt-45
03-22-2011, 11:00 PM
OH MY GOD SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. MY CAPS LOCK GOT STUCK. ITS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR FIVE MONTHS. NOT BEING ABLE TO TAKE MY COMPUTER OFF CAPS LOCK HAS PRETTY MUCH RUINED MY LIFE. EVERYONE THINKS IM YELLING AT THEM AND I'VE LOST ALL MY FRIENDS, MY WIFE LEFT ME, I GOT FIRED LAST WEEK BECAUSE I "COULDN'T TALK NICELY TO CUSTOMERS." I HOPE YOU CAN GET YOURS FIXED BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

:rofl2:

Uhhlexxxis
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
scratches add character to the gun... they're supposed to have wear and tear after you beat the S out of them...

just my opinion ;)

pontiacpratt
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
scratches add character to the gun... they're supposed to have wear and tear after you beat the S out of them...

just my opinion ;)

With you there.... I love wear marks!

nagorb
03-22-2011, 11:37 PM
It's a battle rifle, it should have marks.

If you really care use what #1 said

xm177
03-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Don't worry about scratches from use. They are inevitable. Then after a few years of running the gun hard, get it refinished and it'll look like new. Otherwise, you'll be constantly obsessing over your gun when you get a nick or scratch.

Arteel
03-23-2011, 4:05 AM
Are you going to keep touching it up every time you shoot it?

Get out, shoot it some more, bring it home with more scratches. Nothing wrong with a bit of character in a gun. ;)

dieselpower
03-23-2011, 7:11 AM
It was late December last year. A few of us were out climbing some rocks and a guy dropped his AR about 25 feet. First thing out of his mouth, "oh yeah, that reminds me..I need to buy more pens."

+1 on the flat black pens.

hawkinpup
03-23-2011, 7:17 AM
some guys build guns just to look at em, and some guys build guns that they actually use.

Which Way Out
03-23-2011, 7:26 AM
On a 4X4 we call them Red Neck pin stripes

shark92651
03-23-2011, 8:04 AM
Touch up pens are sort of like paint pens, they work but are a little sloppy. The best product is a chemical touch up like the Aluma Black sold at Brownells - it actually reacts with the aluminum and creates a black finish.

However, from your original post it sounds like you are referring to brass marks on your deflector - it's just a normal result from shooting your rifle - don't worry about it.

pacifico23
03-23-2011, 8:16 AM
I say leave em, it adds character.

Flintlock Tom
03-23-2011, 8:16 AM
I got scratches on my AR while assembling it. I just used a black Sharpee or felt pen and rubbed it in. It may come off the next time I clean the gun, but I'll just re-apply.

45DAVID1
03-23-2011, 8:42 AM
Marks and scuffs add character and show that it has been used. I'd rather have a gun that shows wear because it tells me that it functions. I'd be wary to own a gun that looked flawless unless it is meant as a collectors piece only.

Black Majik
03-23-2011, 8:44 AM
Touching up anything always makes it look worse than better. I vote to just leave it alone. It'll reappear again shortly anyways. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make it look perfect instead of actually enjoying your rifle.

Coded-Dude
03-23-2011, 8:46 AM

sig worthy......lol

TangoCharlie
03-23-2011, 10:30 AM

just my opinion ;)

I agree completely. Show me a pretty gun and I'll show you an owner who has no idea how to use it.

A beat up gun is a well used gun and that is more impressive than a vanity gun.