PDA

View Full Version : Need a hole in safe for goldenrod

Agro
03-22-2011, 7:33 PM
I have the Costco Winchester safe. It has holes in the floor for securing to the slab, but no hole in the back to run power. I own a goldenrod and I want power. So has anyone drilled through the safe? What is the best way to go about it? I figure from the inside out, that way you know where you hole is (if you try outside in, you may not like where the hole ends up, right)? What about the carpet that lines the back, I guess I just drill through that, and then there is probably sheet rock and then steel? I cant think of anything other than a goldenrod that I would use in it. If I need a light I think a battery powered one that I can secure inside is more than sufficient. So I guess no need to run a power strip inside right? What about caulking the hole afterwards, what do I use? Also, for drill bit, any standard carbide bit is probably fine? The steel isnt that thick I would think...

Anyone who has done this, please give me your thoughts.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachments/lounge/10994d1262994171-winchester-gun-safe-costco-dscn1770.jpg

mebejets
03-22-2011, 8:07 PM
I HAVE A LIBERTY AND IT ALREADY HAD A HOLE. LOWER RIGHT CORNER WHEN LOOKING IN SAFE. WHAT I DID WAS CUT THE PLUG OFF OF A POWER STRIP AND PUT IT THROUGH THE HOLE AND PUT A PLUG ON THE END OF THE CORD THAT WAY I HAD A POWER STRIP IN IT. ALSO REMEBER THE GOLD ROD PLUG IS A PINCH PLUG SO DONT DRILL A HUGE HOLE INTHE SAFE THAT NEEDS TO BE SEALED UP.

I WOULD DRILL FROM INSIDE OUT.

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2011, 8:11 PM
I haven't drilled into a safe so, I can't help you. But, I've been looking for a LH flinter in .32-.36. If that's what I see, name your price or tell me where you got it from.

G-forceJunkie
03-22-2011, 8:17 PM
My winchester Silverado has a hole in the left rear at the bottom. It had a black plastic plug in it. You just take a 1/4 or so drill bit and drill through the drywall into the inside.

Agro
03-22-2011, 8:27 PM
I haven't drilled into a safe so, I can't help you. But, I've been looking for a LH flinter in .32-.36. If that's what I see, name your price or tell me where you got it from.

That isn't my photo. I google'd the safe and found a photo. I didn't feel like taking one :)

CSACANNONEER
03-23-2011, 8:26 AM
That isn't my photo. I google'd the safe and found a photo. I didn't feel like taking one :)

Thanks a lot! Now, I've got to figure out how to relieve myself. All night I felt as lucky as a geek about to go to the prom with the head cheerleader.

Anmyway, thanks for letting me know that I still need to keep dreaming/hunting for one.

blakdawg
03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
My winchester Silverado has a hole in the left rear at the bottom. It had a black plastic plug in it. You just take a 1/4 or so drill bit and drill through the drywall into the inside.

Yeah - the OP might have to look at the (outside) back of the safe. My recently purchased Liberty safe didn't have any visible openings on the inside - but it did have a plastic plug on the back, and when I pulled it out I just had to cut through the safe interior to make a hole to pass through a power cord. From the interior, I'd never have known there was a pre-existing hole.

Agro
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah - the OP might have to look at the (outside) back of the safe. My recently purchased Liberty safe didn't have any visible openings on the inside - but it did have a plastic plug on the back, and when I pulled it out I just had to cut through the safe interior to make a hole to pass through a power cord. From the interior, I'd never have known there was a pre-existing hole.

Interesting...
Ill do that. I was just looking for input as it is fully loaded and heavy. This weekend I'll empty it, take the door off and then slide it out to make the back accessible. If no hole, I will drill, if a hole is present, I'll continue from the rear to the front using the same hole. Either way, a hole inside WILL exist.
Thank you!

chesterthehero
03-23-2011, 5:48 PM
if you drill.. cut the carpet out of the way (make a flap, only cut 3 sides).. once you get the drillbit though it it will wrap around the bit and jack the whole thing up...

30 cents worth of wd40 and 50 cents worth of papertowels will save you $20 in drill bits when drilling through the metal

mebejets
03-23-2011, 8:35 PM
SLOW speed HIGH Feed = SLOW THE DRILL DOWN AND PUSH HARD WHILE drilling Saves on drill bits. for hard objects!!!!!!!!!!