PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the CMP process..

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I have fallen in lust with Garands, I need one.

Don't have a C&R license or a CCW so what is the best way to meet the requirements to purchase one from them??

Gotta get one before they are all gone.......

Thanks

icormba
10-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Find a local club that has a shoot...

I joined the Zouaves club in San Jose, they shoot at the Metcalf range in South San Jose.
http://www.zouaves.org

Ubergeek
10-26-2006, 1:17 PM
Better do it sooner than later - CMP appears be running out of them (in earnest it appears).

In brief:

- For starters, you need to be a US citizen in order to purchase a rifle from the CMP - no execeptions.

- You will need to be a member of a CMP affiliated club, and you will need some proof that you participated in some manner of appropriate marksmanship activity (Zouaves offers a clinic/practice match that can be used to fulfil this requirement).

- There's some additional paperwork that you will need to fill out and have signed by a notary public.

www.odcmp.com

Good luck!

Don't have a C&R license or a CCW so what is the best way to meet the requirements to purchase one from them??

Thanks

scottj
10-26-2006, 2:00 PM
If you're a member of the CA Rifle and Pistol Association, that works too. And if you took any class that involved firing a gun like a hunting class or the NRA Handgun Safety class, those qualify for your marksmanship participation requirement.

FatKatMatt
10-26-2006, 3:01 PM
If you're over 60 years old you don't have to show any aptitude for marksmanship, BTW. I doubt anyone here is over 60 though lol.

Richie Rich
10-26-2006, 5:13 PM
Nope, not over 60.. I am a US citizen, no Mil or LEO experience.

I am in the northern part of San Diego.

NRA handgun safety class sounds like the best way to handle the marksmanship requirements. Can I just get an employee from the local range to sign off on my marksmanship or does it have to be a formal class?

What about the Collectors club membership that CMP talks about?

Anything local that would work?

Thanks guys... Need some American milsurp to go with my Russian.. Will add German, British and Japanese as well..

Hunter
10-26-2006, 5:23 PM

Thanks

First you need to belong to a CMP supported organization. Like others have posted above, some of the local gun clubs qualify. You can also join the CRPA for $18/yr http://www.crpa.org/
or
the Garand Collector Assoc. for $25 (best deal with great magazine to boot). The application can be found here:
http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/GCAApp.pdf
their website here:
http://www.thegca.org/

Now once you have a membership, you need to qualify for the marksmanship portion. If you have a hunting license, your already done. If not, then you need to either participate in a sanctioned match, if you like that kind of thing, or you can print out the form found here:
http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/marksmanship.pdf
and just take it to your local range and talk with the range officer on filling it out with you. Shooting a .22lr is all that is needed. Nothing fancy.

With these documents in hand, then visit the CMP site for the rest of the paperwork:

http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

That is it!

xrMike
10-27-2006, 9:23 AM
Can I just get an employee from the local range to sign off on my marksmanship or does it have to be a formal class?Yes, you can do that. That's what I did too -- brought my 1911 to the range and asked the rangemaster if she could "test me", per this form, found on the CMP website:

http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/marksmanship.pdf

She was happy to do it.

This is the quickest and easiest way to fulfill the "proof of marksmanship" requirement, imo.

EDIT: D'oh! Guy above beat me to it, didn't read his contribution before posting...

luvtolean
10-27-2006, 9:25 AM
Yep, you can just take a target and shoot it/get it signed will qualify you.

I did my shoot with a club, the San Jose Zouaves, and got trained in how to use the Garand along with some basics of long range shooting.

Was definitely worth the effort.

Richie Rich
10-27-2006, 9:54 AM
Cool, thanks a lot guys!

Will keep you updated as to how it turns out..

(yes, I will post pics) :)

EOD Guy
10-27-2006, 11:51 AM
If you're over 60 years old you don't have to show any aptitude for marksmanship, BTW. I doubt anyone here is over 60 though lol.

You might be wrong about that.:)

30Cal
10-27-2006, 2:44 PM
Cool, thanks a lot guys!

Will keep you updated as to how it turns out..

(yes, I will post pics) :)

You do realize that the CMP is coming to Camp Pendleton NEXT WEEK and you'll be able to pick a rifle off the rack, right?

Get your papers in order--you don't want to miss this!

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/WesternGames.htm

Ty

FatKatMatt
10-27-2006, 3:35 PM
You might be wrong about that.:)

You so sure? :)

"No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages."

EOD Guy
10-29-2006, 5:24 AM
You so sure? :)

"No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages."

I was talking about the last part of the sentence.

BTW. I doubt anyone here is over 60 though lol.:)

Richie Rich
10-29-2006, 7:13 AM
You do realize that the CMP is coming to Camp Pendleton NEXT WEEK and you'll be able to pick a rifle off the rack, right?

Get your papers in order--you don't want to miss this!

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/WesternGames.htm

Ty

Cool!!

Ty, thanks for the heads up. I will have to see if I can get the paperwork and money together and see if I can go pick one up.

With the qualifications sorted out, they let you select a rifle off the rack, pay for it and take it home with you, correct ??

Off to the interweb for a crash course on how to select a good Garand.

mur
10-30-2006, 6:51 PM
If you already have Military Experience, what form do you need to have?
I've qualified with a few different weapons (M16,M60, 50 Cal)
Or do I still need the Range form filled out?
I'm getting the Garand bug:)

FatKatMatt
10-30-2006, 9:22 PM
Got a question. Can the CMP ship straight to you or do you still have to through the FFL, DROS and all that crap?

FatKatMatt
10-30-2006, 9:23 PM
I was talking about the last part of the sentence.

:)

You got me there :) . I'm not too good at analyzing everything at times.

Zwingli
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
They do the check on their end, but that can send straight to your door. The CMP has a special "dispensation" from the gov-a very unique organization.

If they're at pendelton go !! Its rare they go there but they're trying to more--if you dont shoot its free. But you do have to register to get on the base.

Get to pick your rifle out--they tag it, then send it to you from back east. Get there early. Also you can ask questions from the Guys about your particular gun.

If you can buy a gun already, have been in the military, have a CnR, member of club--where they can sign you off, are over a certain age etc. Its well worth putting the small amount of effort in then if you do it once, they keep your paper work on file if you want more. . .Their website can be a little confusing, but all the info is there. Don't be afraid to call them either.

Also get stuff in before holidays or its gonna be a long wait

FatKatMatt
10-31-2006, 3:32 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, I am a uber retard. I dont know where I could find a Notary Public though...

shin_en
11-03-2006, 9:41 PM
"Get to pick your rifle out--they tag it, then send it to you from back east."

So how can you pay? Cash? Check? Credit Card? are they all acceptable?

Hanniballs
11-03-2006, 9:49 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, I am a uber retard. I dont know where I could find a Notary Public though...

Any local bail bonds office should have one. Some Kinko's (maybe all). I remember the UPS store by my old job had one.

chickenfried
11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I use a local realtor, $5.

Any local bail bonds office should have one. Some Kinko's (maybe all). I remember the UPS store by my old job had one.

jsmith9395
11-05-2006, 7:11 AM
cmp rifles are ok but you are better buying one from a gun shop must cmp rifles left are in need of new parts and unless you are a gun smith good luck jerry

chickenfried
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM
This has not been my experience at all. Out of ~7 purchases from the CMP I've been satisfied with them all. My friends that introduced me to the CMP, now feel ripped off with their first GI Garands from gun shops.

cmp rifles are ok but you are better buying one from a gun shop must cmp rifles left are in need of new parts and unless you are a gun smith good luck jerry

NRAhighpowershooter
11-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Garands at gunshops are severly over priced... they sell rack grades for
$600+ and service grades for $700+ (on the average) and you can bet your sweet bippy that they haven't been checked out for worn parts either....

courteousgavin
11-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Even if you get a Garand from the CMP that is in need of new parts (not likely) you probably won't need a gun smith to change out the parts. Garands are easy to work on. And the CMP is good about sending replacement parts in the extremely unlikely event that you receive a non-functional rifle.

And like NRAhighpowershooter said, what good does it do to buy an overpriced Garand from a gun shop when the gun shop owner doesn't even know anything about assembling Garands?

xrMike
11-05-2006, 12:34 PM
The CMP forum very rarely has posts from guys whose Garands have something wrong with them when delivered. In every instance, they contacted CMP, explained the problem, and CMP always made it right. In some cases CMP shipped out replacement parts (op rods, stocks, etc) before even recieving the bad parts back from the buyer. In one case (a badly nicked crown), they asked for the entire rifle back, and replaced it with one that the buyer felt was in even better condition than the original.

You'd be hard-pressed to find any gun store providing that kind of service after the sale.

milsurplover
11-07-2006, 2:16 PM
Well the CMP responded pretty fast! I sent my packet to get some Garands last Tues and I got an e-mail today acknowledging my order! That seemed pretty fast! I like the 'don't bother us for a few weeks' part! Guess we gun nuts can be pretty pesky huh?
===========================
This email acknowledges the receipt of your recent order.

We thank you for your order and request you not call or email to check on
the order before 21 days are up. There is nothing we will be able to tell
you until we input all orders ahead of yours into our system.

Orest Michaels
Chief Operating Officer

You have successfully signed up to receive email updates.

Cato
11-07-2006, 8:00 PM
Well the CMP responded pretty fast! I sent my packet to get some Garands last Tues and I got an e-mail today acknowledging my order! That seemed pretty fast! I like the 'don't bother us for a few weeks' part! Guess we gun nuts can be pretty pesky huh?
This email acknowledges the receipt of your recent order.

We thank you for your order and request you not call or email to check on
the order before 21 days are up. There is nothing we will be able to tell
you until we input all orders ahead of yours into our system.

Orest Michaels
Chief Operating Officer

You have successfully signed up to receive email updates.

I just got my email too! I sent out my package on Oct 30, got my email today Nov 7!

PLINK
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
I want to add on this thread since I am in the CMP process. A few questions.

1. On the 3A form there is a spot that says,"the address label on the catalog has a six digit code below your name. Please enter that code here:" What are they talking about?

2. I decided to wait for the Service grades. I am purchasing two. I heard about the "post it" request. I know there is no guarenties. I am going to request for WWII barrels as mentioned in another thread. What's the difference between requesting a WWII barrel and a WWII receiver? Or do you get both when you request the WWII barrel?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

4. Form check

Copy of birth cert - check
1A, 2A, 3A filled out and 2A is notarized - check
Shooting requirement forms signed - check
Sent application to Garand Collectors -check

Anything else? Do you guys send this normal delievery in the mail or do you send is priority mail with delievery conformation?

TIA

Sheldon
11-08-2006, 4:20 AM
I want to add on this thread since I am in the CMP process. A few questions.

1. On the 3A form there is a spot that says,"the address label on the catalog has a six digit code below your name. Please enter that code here:" What are they talking about?

2. I decided to wait for the Service grades. I am purchasing two. I heard about the "post it" request. I know there is no guarenties. I am going to request for WWII barrels as mentioned in another thread. What's the difference between requesting a WWII barrel and a WWII receiver? Or do you get both when you request the WWII barrel?

3. Any other words of wisdom?

4. Form check

Copy of birth cert - check
1A, 2A, 3A filled out and 2A is notarized - check
Shooting requirement forms signed - check
Sent application to Garand Collectors -check

Anything else? Do you guys send this normal delievery in the mail or do you send is priority mail with delievery conformation?

TIA

1. They are talking about your customer number.

2. Asking for a WWII receiver wouldn't guarantee a WWII barrel as it may have been rebuilt at sometime and the barrel replaced with a later one.

stevie
11-08-2006, 4:39 AM
Best chance for anything WWII is the woodless Danish M1's, No telling the condition.

amzych
11-08-2006, 5:11 AM
My father is a former Marine and currently a correctional officer. Without joining any other affiliated clubs, would he be eligible to purchase a Garand from CMP?

PLINK
11-09-2006, 9:15 PM
Yep. My dad who is retired USAF just asked this question. All they need is a copy of his military ID. This will fullfill his club and shooting/ match requirement.

If he does not have a military ID card I believe he can send in the DD214 form.

PLINK
11-09-2006, 9:21 PM
I just sent off the package. My post it request said: First time Garand/ CMP buyer. Could please get a WWII rifle with original barrel if possible? Thanks. I know there is no guaranty but I thought it was worth a shot. I also purchased the two Garands in service grade condition. So I will be waiting a long time. Thanks for everyone's help.

milsurplover
11-16-2006, 1:29 PM
Well my CC got charged by the CMP for the four Service Grade Garands I ordered less than three weeks ago. If what some people have posted about the CMP putting the charge through shortly before they ship the product is trye, then it looks like me and my boys are going to get our Christmas presents earlier than expected!

Whoo Hooo!

Cato
11-16-2006, 4:35 PM
I sent my order in 10/30 and CMP says they started processing it 11/14. Now on their website my order says "shipped!" However, under ship date is says TBD. My credit card was charged yesterday. WOW! I wonder when I'll get it?

Boarding-Team-Leader
11-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I sent my order in 10/30 and CMP says they started processing it 11/14. Now on their website my order says "shipped!" However, under ship date is says TBD. My credit card was charged yesterday. WOW! I wonder when I'll get it?

Cato,
On the e-store click the rifle order description, it should jump forward one page.
Look at the rifle description and it should show you the serial number of the receiver. It should also show a tracking number and the description should probably show shipped.
With your serial number you can look up the rifle manufacture date here.
http://www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html
BTL

five.five-six
01-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I mailed mine off 12/26/06 at what point should I see my order show up on the cmp website? I just can not wait:o