PDA

View Full Version : Milt Sparks Holsters

ruddogg
03-22-2011, 2:11 PM
Hi All,

I just received my 2 Milt Sparks VMII's yesterday for my 2 Sigs (after a 6 month wait directly from Milt Sparks.) They are VERY stiff & the guns fit really tight in them. I was just wondering is there some "standard" break in procedures that you guys use on new leather holsters?

Thanks!

rudigan
03-22-2011, 2:20 PM
Check out MS site for info. Typically you need a LOT of un/re holsters. Tim at TT says don't treat with anything.

What others have done, myself included, is unload the gun, put it into a ziplock bag, then holster gun and let sit over night. Worked for me with my TTGunleather holsters. It stretches it just a little.

Congrats on your fine holsters, should have them a lifetime.

ruddogg
03-22-2011, 2:39 PM
thanks! I'll try that in a ziplock bag!

Hopalong
03-22-2011, 3:30 PM
Wax paper bag works as well.

Don't worry, it will break in

But there will be marks on your gun

Jubz
03-25-2011, 9:40 PM
I've heard from another person that the Milt Sparks holsters was really stiff for him also, and wasn't the case when he got a TT Gunleather IWB.

Tripper
03-25-2011, 9:44 PM
Curious what is the idea behind ziplock, is it condensation or something

Tripper
03-25-2011, 9:46 PM
I have a galco IWB for my glock 27, when wearing, I can't draw it out without really struggling with my second hand supporting, I've been wearing unloaded, till I can actually draw without struggling, don't want a ND trying to fight with the holster.

homerm14
03-25-2011, 9:57 PM
I have several Milt Sparks, Del Fatti, TT, Bulman, etc. In every case I have used the plastic bag method to start. I stretches the leather just a tad, then use it lots. It will break in over time. As far as the bag goes I usually use the bag the holster came in and leave it over night. Sometimes you have to do this several times. Hope that helps. On a side note never use any kind of leather softener.

Jubz
03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I have a galco IWB for my glock 27, when wearing, I can't draw it out without really struggling with my second hand supporting, I've been wearing unloaded, till I can actually draw without struggling, don't want a ND trying to fight with the holster.

Take 2 sheets of typical kitchen wax paper, stack the 2 layers then fold them in half. Then fold that in half and stick the G27 muzzle into the fold and wrap the excess around the gun in a clockwise or counterclockwise manner so the wrapping doesn't bunch up only on one side. Then cram the wrapped gun into the holster and push hard so the gun is seated well and matching the holster's moldings and let it sit for an hour.

Then take it out, slide the gun out of the wax paper (now molded to your gun) and try the gun into the holster. If it's still tight, put it back into the molded wax paper and into the holster and let it sit for half-day or overnight until it slides easily in/out of the holster. It'll tighten up when your wearing the IWB. I've done this successfully on a couple of my holsters for fast break-in.

I prefer using wax paper since it ends up molding the gun, unlike with a thick plastic bag like a ziploc.

Just to cover all my bases, make sure the gun is unchambered and no mag before you start this process to avoid any AD's. :oops:

homerm14
03-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Take 2 sheets of typical kitchen wax paper, stack the 2 layers then fold them in half. Then fold that in half and stick the G27 muzzle into the fold and wrap the excess around the gun in a clockwise or counterclockwise manner so the wrapping doesn't bunch up only on one side. Then cram the wrapped gun into the holster and push hard so the gun is seated well and matching the holster's moldings and let it sit for an hour.

Then take it out, slide the gun out of the wax paper (now molded to your gun) and try the gun into the holster. If it's still tight, put it back into the molded wax paper and into the holster and let it sit for half-day or overnight until it slides easily in/out of the holster. It'll tighten up when your wearing the IWB. I've done this successfully on a couple of my holsters for fast break-in.

I prefer using wax paper since it ends up molding the gun, unlike with a thick plastic bag like a ziploc.

Just to cover all my bases, make sure the gun is unchambered and no mag before you start this process to avoid any AD's. :oops:

Never heard of that, but I'll give it a try next time I see some new leather.

popndrop
03-26-2011, 1:10 AM
i use the plastic bag trick myself as well. Or in severe cases, 2 plastic bags...

Tripper
03-26-2011, 1:15 AM
I will try the wax paper tomorrow for sure. I sat her and did the holster/unholster/reholster for about an hour, didnt do much good so far. dont wanna leave the wax paper overnight, so better do it tomorrow while i can monitor the time.

Tripper

Retired Dave
03-26-2011, 8:12 PM

I agree with Jubz. I've tried thick plastic bags and wax paper, and I much prefer to use the wax paper, with the shiny side out. It's easier to mold it to the gun without puckering.

My recommendation is to go slow at first. Don't use too many layers, and don't leave the gun in the holster too long. You might need to use three layers of wax paper and leave it in the holster overnight, but maybe not. It might be frustrating to do it a little at a time, but you don't want to accidentally make the holster too loose. (I did that once.)

If you stretch the holster to the point where it's almost right, but still feels a little snug, I suggest you remove the wax paper and wear the empty gun holstered for awhile and do some practice draws. That can sometimes give you a perfect fit.