View Full Version : Moving to CA, Soldier in Army, What can I bring with me.

03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help that may come.

I am soldier moving from Fort Bragg, NC to Fort Irwin, CA in the summer. I have several firearms, from the SE of the country where gun laws aren't a bother. Looked around online about CA gun laws and it looks like most of what I have is illegal. Any clarification would be helpful on if I can bring them or if I have to store them with family.

Looking at the flowchart my AR and AK are definately a nogo, is there a way to bring them by registering them somewhere.

Have a stock Saiga12 imagine the 10rd magazine or drum is illigal, and a Thunder 5 (kinda like a taurus judge .410 shotgun revolver pistol 2 inch barrel.

All my handguns have 10 rd magazines or higher is that a problem?

Is it a requirement to register all firearms within the state as well.

Would be so easier if I was a felon and didn't care if I followed the laws.

03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Welcome! There is a flow chart somewhere here. Best bet is to use the search button and specify your weapons as a key word.

Also tons of info in 2nd Ammen. thread.

Good luck with the move, and I personnaly thank you for your service!:patriot:

03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Hmmm... messy list of goodies, may want to leave some of it out of state so you dont have to rebuild/bullet button/ size restrict or otherwise perform sex change operations.

Welcome to CA, its a fun place but (gun laws aside) just make sure all your slingshots are CA compliant.

03-22-2011, 1:06 PM
As an active duty military soldier, you will want to apply for an AWP ( assault weapons permit) so you can bring your AR, AK, and Saiga into the state. You will be able to bring in most of your handguns as long as they do not have threaded barrels or magazine wells outside of the pistol grip. You must first disassemble and leave disassembled any higher than 10 round capacity magazines you plan on bringing into the state. You must also register your handguns here with in a month (or two months?) of arriving. You may not bring your thunder 5 here at all, because it would be classified as a Short barreled shotgun under CA law. Good luck with our mess of gun laws. Thank you for serving :)

03-23-2011, 9:14 AM
Welcome aboard. As I'm sure you've already noticed there is lots of useful info and helpful folks around here. I'm not 100% expert but have some comments below.

Looking at the flowchart my AR and AK are definately a nogo, is there a way to bring them by registering them somewhere.

If they are not on the named list, you should be able to either bullet button or go featureless.

All my handguns have 10 rd magazines or higher is that a problem?

10 rounds not a problem. Greater than 10, I believe if you "visited or lived in the state with them prior to Jan 1, 2000" you can bring them back here. If not, disassemble or store out of state.

Good luck! Also many of these answers can be found searching around here a bit. Many similar questions have been asked before.

03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the info, didn't have any idea what a bulletbutton was till I researched it and can't see desecrating my weapons, or wasting money on low capacity magazines. Will bring the ones I can and leave the others with family. Only will have to be there for 2 years, hopefully I can swing a deployment so time will go fast.

Thanks again and good luck getting some laws that let law abiding citizens have weapons that the criminals already have access to.

03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Airborne All The Way Hooah

03-24-2011, 10:50 PM

also.. remember you have to have them all check in, if you plan to keep on post


half way down were it says PRIVATELY OWNED WEAPONS

good luck... and welcome to Cali..

I bleed 11B..

03-25-2011, 8:20 AM
If you are only PCS'ing for 2 years it should not be an issue dealing ith DOJ to get a permit to keep you AR and AK in the normal configuration. Just fax them a copy of your orders.