PDA

View Full Version : New build or buy?

daraidz
03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I just ordered a S&W AR15 stripped lower for a 1st time build..but now questioning whether I did the right thing. Looking at pricing for the uppers alone makes me wonder if I should just buy a NIB S&W from a dealer and mod it from there. Most of the suppliers for uppers are either out of stock or VERY highly priced compared to a new carbine.

I was looking forward to the challenge of the build and would make it a "mid-priced" gun...meaning not dirt cheap and not "cadillac" parts. Your thoughts and suggestions for upper assemblies?

BTW, my plan is to use it with a scope (thinking PArms 4-12) for varmits, targets etc. May add a secondary sight and some other toys as well.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

green grunt
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
You can build one for less then buying one complete...that way you get it set up the way "you" want....there are many many uppers out there...........check out BCM and the others as well and gunbroker ........have fun shopping !

shootdamoon
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
New AR builders fall into this trap every time. If you want to build an AR do it because you want the experience of putting one together and seeing how all the internal parts work. Also, build if you want to customize the AR to suit your specific shooting needs. Do not build an AR to save money! Don't get me wrong here. You can definitely save money but you will need plenty of patience. If you find a great price on a part and it's in stock buy it ASAP! If you don't, not many people are willing to wait so they look for the part elsewhere and buy for more or they upgrade to a higher price point part. Your initial intentions are good to try and keep price low but with all the AR goodies out there it's hard not to stray.

daraidz
03-22-2011, 1:03 PM
Thanks for the input...my initial intention isn't really to keep the price low but to setup the gun exactly for the look and function I want. Even looking at cookie cutter S&W's there are several things I would change on each one, thus thought it would be better/smarter to build. The problem is finding stuff in stock...is every body building AR's now? Why is every vendor out of stock on this stuff?

RRichie09
03-22-2011, 1:27 PM
Thanks for the input...my initial intention isn't really to keep the price low but to setup the gun exactly for the look and function I want. Even looking at cookie cutter S&W's there are several things I would change on each one, thus thought it would be better/smarter to build. The problem is finding stuff in stock...is every body building AR's now? Why is every vendor out of stock on this stuff?

Then deffinately build it. Are you planning to build the upper as well?

What parts are out of stock, maybe we can help you find them.

Javi
03-22-2011, 1:31 PM
The S&W M&P 15 sport is sold at Turner's for $700, I believe.
Just throwin' that out there.

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 1:36 PM
Build it yourself! That is what I would do every time.

Tell us what you want to do with the rifle(this is most important)

We can give you some feedback on what parts you can buy once and never have to worry about.

I find that there are ALWAYS good parts in the various classifieds which have the initial 10-20% knocked off the price... Those parts are always in stock too! I have built most of my rifles this way.

daraidz
03-22-2011, 2:28 PM
Build it yourself! That is what I would do every time.

Tell us what you want to do with the rifle(this is most important)

We can give you some feedback on what parts you can buy once and never have to worry about.

I find that there are ALWAYS good parts in the various classifieds which have the initial 10-20% knocked off the price... Those parts are always in stock too! I have built most of my rifles this way.

well, as my original post stated, I plan on a scope but want rails to add other toys as funds allow. I don't need the fixed iron sights like a a4 setup. Not sure if I should try to match a S&W upper (so it matches for potential resale) or get an aftermarket upper with the rails. Also, have no idea what BCG to buy or potentially stay away from....thanks.

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 2:36 PM
well, I REALLY liked my decision of buying a 20" Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit complete upper for like $530 back in the day. Its heavy but its supposed to be. Its a good upper for punching paper and trying to shoot super small groups at 100 yards. It likes match ammo though(research that). Look nowhere else then RBprecision.com youll have to call them but they are top notch...

BTW, I put a mueller tactical mil dot scope on it. Its a tack driver.

It doesnt have the quad rail you want, but its got a picatinny gas block if you wanted to mount a back up sight or something.

Does that sound like it would work or would you want to go another route?

daraidz
03-22-2011, 3:49 PM
i just spent about 30 minutes checking out RBP...good site. Trying to figure out the differences between the 15 or so different RRA uppers in the varmit variety.