PDA

View Full Version : looking for plate carrier advice (calling all mall ninjas)

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 11:18 AM
ok so i am not sure if this is the right place for this but i am looking for a good plate carrier for around $100 i would like something like the one below but it is a blackwater and it is over $200 for just the plate carrier (way out of my budget) any recomendations with pics and prices would be great
thanks
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/VanillaGorilla3/8783m79.jpg

dieselpower
03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
The only way to go with a used one or an airsoft which will be nearly the same, but have less strength due to cheaper threading on the stitching and the material will be thinner. I have held and examined ones at airsoft stores. they are well made, and takes a trained eye to spot the differences. I couldn't tell until they were pointed out to me. I don't use a plate carrier so I wouldn't know. The sales guy had a actual one with a real plate to prove they were nearly identical.

If you are looking for cheap and real... buy used. If you are looking for new and real save your cash and buy real. If you are looking for new and NEARLY as good, airsoft. Airsoft scopes, lights and crap is different then gear. Avoid airsoft scopes and crap like that...it will break on you. I use an Eagle holster and its just as good as a Blackhawk. UTG I would aviod...lol thats way too cheap. Condor and Eagle are acceptable in my eyes for webbing gear.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 11:55 AM
The only way to go with a used one or an airsoft which will be nearly the same, but have less strength due to cheaper threading on the stitching and the material will be thinner. I have held and examined ones at airsoft stores. they are well made, and takes a trained eye to spot the differences. I couldn't tell until they were pointed out to me. I don't use a plate carrier so I wouldn't know. The sales guy had a actual one with a real plate to prove they were nearly identical.

If you are looking for cheap and real... buy used. If you are looking for new and real save your cash and buy real. If you are looking for new and NEARLY as good, airsoft. Airsoft scopes, lights and crap is different then gear. Avoid airsoft scopes and crap like that...it will break on you. I use an Eagle holster and its just as good as a Blackhawk. UTG I would aviod...lol thats way too cheap. Condor and Eagle are acceptable in my eyes for webbing gear.

the condor rigs are ok then i take it?
i am looking at a condor rig rig now

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 12:31 PM
http://www.skdtac.com/Plate_Carriers_s/15309.htm

bulletproofme.com

Ive got the eagle with cummerbund. Its nice but its fairly bulky compared to the expensive mayflower concealable and other similar ones. I dont have plates yet. Its a huge investment im not quite ready for yet.

Additionally, just spend a good amount of money the first time on something like the eagle or pig. The vest is the cheapest part! I got my eagle with 3a soft armor for $300. Great deal but its a few years old.

The Director
03-22-2011, 12:32 PM
It depends what you want it for. If you want to put real armor in the stuff in hopes of saving your life, forget it -the cheap junk is just that.

I once put my real armor inside a Condor IBA copy. The Condor Interceptor vest copy is identical at first glance to a real point blank interceptor vest.

The soft armor did not fit at first because real IBA armor attaches via hook and loop clips over the shoulder, and the Condor copy had the shoulders sewn shut. I then cut open the shoulders, and put the armor in. It fit okay.

Bad news when I put my Esapi plates in. The rear plate was okay - the front plate sagged because there was no internal support - it was 3" low and covered my stomach instead of my vitals.

This is why the real stuff costs money. The Condor stuff is for airsoft and even though it looks identical, it really is not.

If you have a $100 torso, buy $100 plate carrier. Putting real armor inside a fake carrier might just get you killed.

WokMaster1
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Depends on what you are going for. Here is a simple front only $200 from US Palm.

http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=10

And front & back set for $400
http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?option=com_products&view=product&id=28

Droppin Deuces
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Look at the Ares Armor stuff. Pretty affordable carriers there.

tomd1584
03-22-2011, 1:05 PM
what are you going to use it for? dress up or actual usage. If the latter, dont skimp on cheap products...seriously.

ETA: the Diamondback Tactical FAPC is a good no frills plate carrier with molle front& back.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/product/Diamondback-Tacticalreg-Fast-Attack-Plate-Carrier-Gen-II,34,6.htm

omgwtfbbq
03-22-2011, 1:07 PM
I've run into the same issue as the OP. If I were to buy a plate carrier I would like it to be of a higher quality than condor or UTG, however, I don't have the funds to be throwing stacks of cash down on an expensive product. I looked at at things like Voodoo tactical and found decent looking carriers for around 100 bucks but I haven't found much in the way of good or bad words towards the company.

For the OP I would say for sure to stay away from Condor or UTG, however I sympathize with the fact of not being about to afford the good stuff.

motorwerks
03-22-2011, 1:08 PM
Condor is fine for most use. If you're a cop using it a LOT for entry... get something else. If you plan on using it for SHTF and you aren't some sorta crazy ninja warrior its probably fine there.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 1:10 PM
what are you going to use it for? dress up or actual usage. If the latter, dont skimp on cheap products...seriously.

lol well i am not in the military and unless shtf i doubt i will ever use it for real i am looking for one because i want one i have no real need or use for one at this point in time but still i want one so i am looking
i have a chest rig and it is cool and does everything i have ever needed it to do but i just want a plate carrier
maybe i will just have to save up and get the blackwater one

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 1:12 PM
ohh, in that case just get an airsoft one and you dont even need to get armor! Done deal.

CK_32
03-22-2011, 1:17 PM
If your looking for a legit rig check out 5.11's vests.

Hear and read great reviews and looking to maybe pick me up one in the near future.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 1:18 PM
ohh, in that case just get an airsoft one and you dont even need to get armor! Done deal.

i dont want an airsoft one
just because i am not planing on trusting my life to it doesnt mean i want something that is junk i still want a quality
if i have to i can save my cash and buy the blackwater one i want i have never looked into plate carriers until now and i had no idea how expensive they were

omgwtfbbq
03-22-2011, 1:21 PM
Look at the Ares Armor stuff. Pretty affordable carriers there.

Checked out their site and if the products are of decent quality, their prices are very affordable

stphnman20
03-22-2011, 1:26 PM
I have this.
z8lphqh7eE0

It can carry a plate. Then when you need to run light, just get rid of the plate and it'll turn into a chest rig.

Droppin Deuces
03-22-2011, 1:52 PM
Taco?

tomd1584
03-22-2011, 1:55 PM
Taco?

mmmm....taco....

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 1:58 PM
chalupa

Secret
03-22-2011, 3:37 PM
I have this.
z8lphqh7eE0

It can carry a plate. Then when you need to run light, just get rid of the plate and it'll turn into a chest rig.

That one is nice, i REALLY like the mayflower ones imo

jackandblood
03-22-2011, 4:01 PM
These plates and body armor threads, the concerns are range accidents right?

I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season.
Please tell me there are vigilante range officials ready to drill sergeant bark at anyone being careless and dangerous.

evolixsurf
03-22-2011, 4:06 PM

I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season.
Please tell me there are vigilante range officials ready to drill sergeant bark at anyone being careless and dangerous.

I actually feel more nervous about getting shot at the range than at a tactical class. How sad is that? There are so many unexperienced people at my local ranges it drives me crazy.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 4:12 PM
I actually feel more nervous about getting shot at the range than at a tactical class. How sad is that? There are so many unexperienced people at my local ranges it drives me crazy.

the range i go to is big on safety

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 4:20 PM
These plates and body armor threads, the concerns are range accidents right?.

i am not buying one to wear at the range i am buying it for my own amusement :D i will almost never wear something like this to the range because i dont want to get laughed at
i might wear it as a joke or to look super cool mall ninja when i go shooting with friends out on some private land up in the hills or i will wear it if i attend a tactical carbine class but other than that i dont think i am going to wear it every time i go shooting

I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season..

i always shoot at an outdoor range i hate indoor ranges because most wont let you shoot rifles and most dont go past 50 yards i like to shoot 100+ yardds and i also like my 300 win mag (last indoor range i asked if i could shoot my 300 at laughed at me and said it would go through their wall:eek:)

at the range i go to if you cant fallow the rules the range master will kick your azz out so fast your head will spin they have rules and cease fires if you cant fallow the rules they will tell you to leave (if i dont tell you to leave first:D)

Droppin Deuces
03-22-2011, 4:21 PM

Pala.

rero360
03-22-2011, 4:32 PM
Me personally, I'd just get the real deal and call it a day, no point in wasting money on some fake stuff when you'll probably decide afterward to get the real deal. My suggestion is the PIG. I'd rather not have something than have a fake of it that won't be able to perform.

nick562
03-22-2011, 4:32 PM
80 dollars at cheaperthandirt.com http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE218-1.html

RyanOT
03-22-2011, 5:21 PM
tactical tailor's rigs are on sale right now. A little bit more than the blackhawk, but well worth the money. Last carrier you'll ever buy.

Mr_Monkeywrench
03-22-2011, 5:42 PM
Blackhawk makes awesome stuff. Check their website. There are deals to be had if you catch it at the right time

motorwerks
03-22-2011, 7:43 PM
I'm going to field a bunch of **** for this and really I don't care.

Condor is nicer then "Airsoft"

Ducks and covers.:D

pyro3k2
03-22-2011, 7:44 PM
Worth saving up a little more for
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-Cutaway-Carrier-Performance-with-3D-Mesh-Lining,1698,83.htm

03-22-2011, 7:53 PM
I currently run a Safariland molle carrier for softs with an Impact ST front plate.

We were just issued SAPI's and I have a Diamondback for that. I would like to incorporate both so I am looking to drop $$ on an Eagle CIRAS Land or their LEO carrier.

After about two years of field use, entries, long gun ranges and other training...the Safariland is sagging a bit...

The only issue I see with the CIRAS is the lack of soft Velcro for the Police markings...

Good luck in your quest...

badicedog
03-22-2011, 7:55 PM
tactical tailor's rigs are on sale right now. A little bit more than the blackhawk, but well worth the money. Last carrier you'll ever buy.

Agreed! Tactical Taylor makes good stuff.

LoneWolf1
03-22-2011, 8:08 PM
Take a look at BDS Tactical (http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/default.cfm).

neal0124
03-22-2011, 8:11 PM
I just picked up a carrier and plates. For no other reason than I thought it would be cool to have, and that I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I picked up an SKD P.I.G. and then sourced out some plates. The plates weigh about 6-7lbs each. The pig holds them right where they need to be and you hardly notice the weight (at least not when you're wearing it in your house, put it on and go for a hike or take a carbine class and I'm sure you'll notice the weight real quick). I havn't tried any other plate carriers so my suggestion is biased. Save up and spend a little more for quality. The pig with the elastic cummerbund is $250 and with the molle cummerbund is $300 plus they are in stock right now. They have 4 colors in stock and when they sell out they take a while to get more in.

pyro3k2
03-22-2011, 8:25 PM
For the female calgunners
http://discordantoverture.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/corsetssplash.jpg

themailman
03-22-2011, 8:37 PM
Ive got an authentic Eagle scalable pc if you wanna buy it. PM me.

Rukus
03-22-2011, 9:24 PM
If you can't afford a $200 plate carrier you cant afford the plates to go with, so why would you need one?

I'm all for doing what you want with your money but this doesn't make sense to me. Don't expect top quality for under $100.

Hump0311
03-22-2011, 9:26 PM
VG you should check out the prices at surplus and tactical stores. Hit up the surplus stores first. Shop around you can find a good quality plate carrier for -$200.

Blackhawk makes good plate carriers.

Vanilla Gorilla
03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
If you can't afford a $200 plate carrier you cant afford the plates to go with, so why would you need one?

I'm all for doing what you want with your money but this doesn't make sense to me. Don't expect top quality for under $100.

Please see post #11

tomd1584
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
The big issue is, unless you put some rifle plates in, most PC's won't fit 'right'.

till44
03-23-2011, 9:10 AM
The big issue is, unless you put some rifle plates in, most PC's won't fit 'right'.

And it's completely pointless if you don't have plates... At least get some soft armor for it, but I agree with what Ruckus said, if you can't afford a decent PC then you won't be able to get the plates. Condor and Voodoo are chicom airsoft crap, they're not to spec and are not built to last. If you plan to get plates/armor, you had better make sure your PC will fit them.

The PIG is one of the best designed PCs out there, forget the Blackwater one for $200, spend another $50 and get the PIG. If you want to take the guess work out of what armor your PC will need and pick everything up in one place check out Tyr Tactical's light weight PC: http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/armor-protective-equipment/lightweight-plate-carrier-lwpc/ Built in mag pouches, super light, and from everyone I have talked to it's a great piece of kit.

dieselpower
03-23-2011, 9:45 AM
And it's completely pointless if you don't have plates... At least get some soft armor for it, but I agree with what Ruckus said, if you can't afford a decent PC then you won't be able to get the plates. Condor and Voodoo are chicom airsoft crap, they're not to spec and are not built to last. If you plan to get plates/armor, you had better make sure your PC will fit them.

The PIG is one of the best designed PCs out there, forget the Blackwater one for $200, spend another $50 and get the PIG. If you want to take the guess work out of what armor your PC will need and pick everything up in one place check out Tyr Tactical's light weight PC: http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/armor-protective-equipment/lightweight-plate-carrier-lwpc/ Built in mag pouches, super light, and from everyone I have talked to it's a great piece of kit.

This is why I avoid the whole PC thing. Its not worth the money even in a EOTWAWKI. Its only worth it for open warfare, which will never happen and if it does...the guys walking around looking like US Army are getting shot at... and if you are helping the US Army they are equipping you...its just such a remote situation (other than Airsoft game play) there is no reason to buy it.

I use an old Aircrew survival vest modified to hold a few magazines and a camel back for a SHTF/EOTWAWKI and a simple 2" web belt with mag pouches for normal stuff.

I do like those tacos...need to get me some tacos. as long as they can fit securely on a 2" web belt.

docsmileyface
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Stay away from Blackhawk stuff, too. Used to be OK but now its made out of the US using out of spec materials and stitching. Even Eagle's quality is slipping now that most of their stuff is made in the Dominican Republic.

mlevans66
03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
If you buy cheap stuff you get cheap work, killa! I suggest you look around for American made products and see what best fits your budget. I used to wear a Eagle Plate carrier that was made in St. Louis and didn't have any probs with it. Good Luck!

tomd1584
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
http://bulletproofme.com/TACTICAL_Body_Armor.shtml#OTV

http://bulletproofme.com/Interceptor%20-%20Original/Interceptor-Torso-Only-L.jpg

scroll half way down.

Overstock special on Interceptor OTV carriers. will accept SAPI's, and soft armor. has MOLLE on it to.

the military uses it. It may not be the best, but for $30 its much better than any Airsoft or paintball or anything else.

Tom

dieselpower
03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Stay away from Blackhawk stuff, too. Used to be OK but now its made out of the US using out of spec materials and stitching. Even Eagle's quality is slipping now that most of their stuff is made in the Dominican Republic.

I agree, Eagle is slipping too. My holster is ok, but isnt near what Eagle used to be like and I paid Eagle price for it....

Droppin Deuces
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone heard of these guys?:

http://www.pantacusa.com/Products/ArmorCarrier.aspx

It looks like most of their dealers are airsoft places, but it looks pretty high quality and is expensive.

themailman
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
If your looking for a legit rig check out 5.11's vests.

Hear and read great reviews and looking to maybe pick me up one in the near future.

Why is it that every time you recommend/poopoo gear...you've never used it?