PDA

View Full Version : New Project for Los Angeles

jdberger
03-22-2011, 10:02 AM
No. I'm not going to tell you exactly what this is for. OpSec, need to know, Secret Squirrel, etc.

This is a weekend event. The mission is (so far) observe and report.

I'd like a diverse contingent for this one. Minority handicapped lesbians are a plus.

Location is Los Angeles.

The event is pretty far out (in Internet time) but there's a bit of prep work that needs to be done first.

(SoCal is having all the fun this year)

hill billy
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm in. I'm not a minority or handicapped, though. I'm not a lesbian either but we share similar interests. :D

Bhobbs
03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm a white male that has no significant injuries. The closest I come is I like women.

I can try to make it.

Hopi
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM

PM the date if you can please.

Minority handicapped lesbians are a plus.

I'll do my best.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
What about a 16 y/o white male? Pending that I pass my DMV license test Monday...

Stubby
03-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Hanidcapped....what.... I hate the handicapped....they cause so much trouble:D:D

I am absolutely available!

rodeoflyer
03-22-2011, 11:23 AM
PM me the date. I'm probably available.

Shady
03-22-2011, 11:33 AM
IM IN

nick
03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Depending on the date, I'm likely available, since it's on the weekend. Any word on which weekend?

FreshTapCoke
03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Weekend makes it more accessible for me. Asian male.
I can contribute labor and capital.

Rekrab
03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm afraid I'm male, middle-class and white, but I can usually make weekend events so hit me up for info!

dantodd
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Minority handicapped lesbians are a plus.

Re-purposing your Craigslist ads again?

Mute
03-22-2011, 1:57 PM
How about a lesbian trapped in an Asian man's body? Weekends tend to be better for me.

sighere
03-22-2011, 2:04 PM
White, upper middle class guy. All my fingers and toes. I do limp a little when my knee acts up. My handicap is that I sometimes turn my neck too fast when a good looking gal walks by, then my neck is sore the rest of the day and I have to explain it to my wife.

Seriously... what's the date? Do I need to bring firearms????

OleCuss
03-22-2011, 2:16 PM
I'd have to know the date. Oddly, I could probably make this weekend happen but I'm betting it will be further out than that.

Does life-long vegetarian teetotaler get me minority status? I'm definitely not in the majority on those. . .

Kestryll
03-22-2011, 2:22 PM
I'm intrigued and in Los Angeles, PM me.

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2011, 2:26 PM
Shoot me a PM with tenative dates and any other info that you can divulge. Also, shoot a PM to Disarmed Marksman and let me know when you do so I can call him and tell him to read it.

gonzo1510
03-22-2011, 2:28 PM
I'm intrigued .... what's the date? I'm a Hispanic male with a job and no illegitimate children. Does that count as a minority status?

wildhawker
03-22-2011, 2:36 PM

:rofl2: :chris:

spgripside
03-22-2011, 2:36 PM
I could be available depending on date. Let me know.

N6ATF
03-22-2011, 2:41 PM

Post in craigslist/personals/strictly platonic?

Anchors
03-22-2011, 3:01 PM
If I'm good on the dates, I'm in.

I'm not that diverse, but I'm a young (mostly) white male with a bunch of tattoos and a clean haircut.
I don't look too different from a lot of the folks here though.

dantodd
03-22-2011, 3:13 PM
Oh, if it's a weekend that I am in SoCal then count me in.

jdberger
03-22-2011, 3:23 PM
Wow. Great response so far.

If I haven't sent you a PM - it's because you probably don't fit the profile I'm looking for (yes - I can use your computers to see what you look like).

:D

Actually, I'm a little buried at work right now and I'll get back to you shortly.

All these responses have made me rethink the parameters of this exercise.

Time requirements will be similar to the Guns Save Lives event.

I'd really like to see a better female response, though.

J

mej16489
03-22-2011, 3:28 PM
My Wife and I would be in if the date works out as available for us. We both have weekends off.

GOEX FFF
03-22-2011, 3:52 PM
My wife and I can certainly make a weekend date.

Jd, perhaps make a post of this in the Ladies forum?

nick
03-22-2011, 4:00 PM
Wow. Great response so far.

If I haven't sent you a PM - it's because you probably don't fit the profile I'm looking for (yes - I can use your computers to see what you look like).

Actually, I'm a little buried at work right now and I'll get back to you shortly.

All these responses have made me rethink the parameters of this exercise.

Time requirements will be similar to the Guns Save Lives event.

I'd really like to see a better female response, though.

J

So, a white male isn't good enough for you? I should let you know, my blend of about 20 different ethnicities has to be unique (thus making me a minority)! If that doesn't work, as a gun owner, I'm in the minority, as well :p

johndoe2150
03-22-2011, 4:07 PM
I'm in. let me know if you need me

Swiss
03-22-2011, 4:17 PM
Just FYI, the correct term is "disabled" not "handicapped". It matters to those who are.

MasterYong
03-22-2011, 4:35 PM
No. I'm not going to tell you exactly what this is for. OpSec, need to know, Secret Squirrel, etc.

I'd like a diverse contingent for this one. Minority handicapped lesbians are a plus.

Location is Los Angeles.

The event is pretty far out (in Internet time) but there's a bit of prep work that needs to be done first.

(SoCal is having all the fun this year)

SoCal has all the fun every year. CalGuns largely ignores the northern (truly northern) third of the state. I like to assume that's because we don't need as much help as SoCal (I have had maybe half the LEOs I've ever met encourage me to break CA AW laws, for example, citing "no one cares, and who would know?"), but I'm more afraid that it has to do with population. CalGuns efforts in SoCal benefit more people. At least I live in a (nearly) shall-issue county.

Have fun guys! Bring on the minority handicapped lesbians!

rero360
03-22-2011, 4:42 PM
I'm in depending on the weekend, due to Army training, White male, late twenties, currently poor, combat vet, no disabilities, but I do have a bad heart, back, and joints.

Anchors
03-22-2011, 4:46 PM
If my girlfriend isn't working I'm sure she will be cool with attending.
She actually openly expresses her dissatisfaction that she can't CCW/OC as a 95 pound female with really no other means to defend herself from a male attacker.
If the laws change, she'll be getting a nice revolver in .38 to go with her new CCW :D

PEBKAC
03-22-2011, 4:53 PM
Unfortunately I am a twenty-something white male. :D

But if this is a weekend I may be able to purloin a car and/or use Amtrak. Kind of depends on the timing. Tagging for updates. :)

KarLorian
03-22-2011, 4:58 PM
I would have to know when pretty soon. Weekend are tough for me since I work retail.

Technically a minority since im in the top 2 percentile for height.

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2011, 5:02 PM
Just FYI, the correct term is "disabled" not "handicapped". It matters to those who are.

Really, I prefer the term "crippled" myself. BTW, I have completely lost one of my senses and two more are starting to go. While I'm not wheelchair bound nor have I tried to be legally recognized as handicapped, I probably could. Also, I still see "Handicapped" parking places reserved solely for the handicapped. Where do disabled people park? BTW, F PCness!

glockwise2000
03-22-2011, 5:09 PM
My wife and I are off on weekends. Pending the dates available. PM me.

Ooooohhhh and we are both Asian from previous American colony in the Pacific South East. Does that count?

ChuangTzu
03-22-2011, 5:13 PM
If it's not in April, I can probably make it. I can probably bring female asians and Messicans with me if it's a weekend.

theoutcast32
03-22-2011, 5:15 PM
i'll coerce my wife into going with me if i need to. my ancestors hail from the islands in the south pacific aka i'm a minority.

Anchors
03-22-2011, 5:18 PM
i'll coerce my wife into going with me if i need to. my ancestors hail from the islands in the south pacific aka i'm a minority.
I mean. I put that I was white because no one ever thinks anything differently.
But my grandpa was born and raised in North Africa (French Tunisian).

So technically I am part Arab and a gun owner :eek:
(Yes I own an AK).
haha.
I wish I looked the part more to help this cause.

SanPedroShooter
03-22-2011, 5:48 PM
I've got a tenth grade education and a bad attitude...
I'll be there, It doesent matter when.
I may be able to bring my wife, she's a woman.

Sajedene
03-22-2011, 8:04 PM
Do I fit that profile?

voiceofreason
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I may be able to bring my wife, she's a woman.

Hey! My wife happens to be one too!

at least she has been since I've known her...
don't know much about her past really...

but then, I wouldn't hold it against her if she wasn't born a woman

I'm just grateful for the 2 kids she's birthed for me

-----
*PM me again if you didn't get the pics (2).

760knox
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Depending on date and time, let me know. Interested!!!

Swiss
03-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Listen up, it's not funny. People who have struggled with a disability all their lives don't like the word handicapped because it makes them sound like less than a whole person. They are better, they deserve better, and it's not just BS PC rhetoric.

Accessible parking spaces that comply with current code are labeled only with the international symbol of accessibility (ISA) - the wheelchair. Typically you'll find a sign at the entrance to a parking lot that warns against unauthorized parking in these spaces and there you will find the word "disabled". You can also look through Chapters 11A and 11B of the California Building Code (CBC), which is based on the International Building Code (IBC) and you will not find the word "handicapped" used anywhere.

Sorry for the threadjack but if you're looking for particular class of people you need to be somewhat sensitive to their beliefs.

Really, I prefer the term "crippled" myself. BTW, I have completely lost one of my senses and two more are starting to go. While I'm not wheelchair bound nor have I tried to be legally recognized as handicapped, I probably could. Also, I still see "Handicapped" parking places reserved solely for the handicapped. Where do disabled people park? BTW, F PCness!

jdberger
03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Let's not derail this thread.

If I've offered offense, I apologize.

Now - I've sent a bunch of PMs out to the habitual activists. Most of these are simply for planning purposes.

Others can expect more info in due course.

Stay tuned.

otalps
03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Depending on the when and where I might be available.

wildhawker
03-23-2011, 1:50 AM
Swiss, my sister will never talk and she'll probably die young from complications of CP and autism. Let's not get too hung up on semantics and work on getting some folks with real physical disabilities to our events. (Is disability a word we can use anymore? I've lost track of all of them over the years.)

Liberty1
03-23-2011, 7:45 AM
What about a 16 y/o white male? Pending that I pass my DMV license test Monday...

Sure, come on out dress in your best 'emo', they'll never suspect you are calguns!

FF/EMT Nick
03-23-2011, 9:50 AM
I'm in for sure, regardless of the date. I "may" be able to get the woman to come, she's still a lttle PO'd about a scope/optics purchase this last weekend. :)

Flintlock Tom
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm interested in hearing more.
Could you use a Native American, cross-dressing, pawnbroker?

Dark Paladin
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Depending on date and time, I'd like to help out. Does a well dressed asian male with a bachelor degree, multiple IT certifications, and clean background help with the demographics?

Paper Boy
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Depending on the date and our schedules my girl friend, maybe her daughter, and I would be interested. Unfortunately due to some of her hobbies / commitments I would not know for sure until very close to the actual event, but if we can we will.

Pig Rifle
03-23-2011, 6:09 PM
My wife's in, as am I. She has several disabling conditions. We are also "habitual activists", LOL.

oaklander
03-23-2011, 8:12 PM
With apologies to my friend tboyer, I can be "queen for a day."

SierraApril won't mind, I don't think. . .

oaklander
03-23-2011, 8:14 PM
Agreed. Many of us in the movement have persons with disabilities in our families. We don't get hung up on it - so let's not let others get hung up on it. It just is what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

Swiss, my sister will never talk and she'll probably die young from complications of CP and autism. Let's not get too hung up on semantics and work on getting some folks with real physical disabilities to our events. (Is disability a word we can use anymore? I've lost track of all of them over the years.)

Swiss
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
No worries, the point's been made and let's move along with the topic of this thread.

Agreed. Many of us in the movement have persons with disabilities in our families. We don't get hung up on it - so let's not let others get hung up on it. It just is what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

SierraApril
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Not a lesbian, an ethnic minority, or disabled in any physical way, but would like to be involved as long as Oak doesn't insist on us wearing matching dresses.

oaklander
03-23-2011, 10:38 PM
It's OK, hon - I was going to wear a skirt and a tube top - it will probably be a warm day. . .

On second thought - the YouTube viral aspect of that would be EPIC. . .

I'm going to ALSO wear high heels, as a result.

Not a lesbian, an ethnic minority, or disabled in any physical way, but would like to be involved as long as Oak doesn't insist on us wearing matching dresses.

N6ATF
03-23-2011, 11:10 PM
They won't be high heels for long! Unless there are heels made out of lead or something so they don't break.

oaklander
03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
LOL - I'm down to about 235 now. . .

I'll soon be able to stop running the "BBW wants BBM" ads on CL.

Ooops! Sorry Sierra - I'm JUST KIDDING - honest. . .

They won't be high heels for long! Unless there are heels made out of lead or something so they don't break.

crackerman
03-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I woould be interested to bring the thread back on topic

Hm that sounds wrong,

I am interested in helping with what ever I can since we will have more notice.

oaklander
03-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes, the visuals are quite shocking, imagining a hairy old man dressed like a woman is something that you don't want to think about - or even see written down so that you do think about it. . .

The direction will change once certain things are determined on the back-end.

Wait, even that sounded kind of strange. . .

I woould be interested to bring the thread back on topic

jdberger
03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Patience folks. I need to have a couple discussions with people re scope, logistics, intended effect, etc.

I'll let you know when we've a decent outline.

If I've sent you a PM and you haven't yet replied, please do.

jl123
03-24-2011, 1:50 AM
May be able to get involved in this one. I'm a mutt, but I look pretty damn white, so I don't really have any special characteristics.

AndrewMendez
03-24-2011, 2:06 AM
Stay out of the 2a for a few days and miss the fire drill. Children needed too?

oaklander
03-24-2011, 2:23 AM
I thought you looked at least 26 when I met you last week!

(Sorry AM - just had to say that). . .

This event will be good - very good. . .

<grin>

Children needed too?

jdberger
03-24-2011, 9:22 AM
Stay out of the 2a for a few days and miss the fire drill. Children needed too?

Probably no kids for this one.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
03-24-2011, 9:36 AM
Sure, come on out dress in your best 'emo', they'll never suspect you are calguns!

I think the only piece of black clothing that I own are part of my work uniform! :D

AndrewMendez
03-24-2011, 9:40 AM
I thought you looked at least 26 when I met you last week!

(Sorry AM - just had to say that). . .

This event will be good - very good. . .

<grin>

Actually, I am only 24, with two girls. I plan on retiring in the next twenty years. ;)

oaklander
03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I know - I failed it! I don't even have retirement benefits. I'll be working until I can't see. Eeek!!!!

Actually, I am only 24, with two girls. I plan on retiring in the next twenty years. ;)

GettoPhilosopher
03-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I already volunteered myself and my wife. :)

Vandal.
03-24-2011, 10:44 AM
so... not to be rude or anything WTF is this about? im in LA and id show up but lack of info lack of interest.

im just saying...:online2long:

oaklander
03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
It can't be disclosed yet - the details are being worked out as we speak.

so... not to be rude or anything WTF is this about? im in LA and id show up but lack of info lack of interest.

im just saying...:online2long:

CHS
03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
My schedule is unfortunately erratic, so without a solid date I can't 100% commit, and even with a solid date I can't 100% commit.

But please sign me up! If I can make it, I WILL make it.

Captain Neon
03-24-2011, 9:03 PM
If its that important to have "pity me" disabled people, why not hire actors and rent some wheelchairs? Why not put yourself in a wheelchair?

You could pitch this as a temp job to the folks at the Braille Institute but I have a feeling they'd throw you out of the building.

Want to try recruiting deaf people? Too bad there is no way you are going to get past the receptionist at the Greater LA Council on Deafness. You can pretty much expect the same outcome at the CSUN National Center on Deafness.

I know a wheel mobile lesbian, and I can tell you there is no way she'd let herself be used for whatever it is you're planning.

The unemployment rate for disabled folks is pretty high, you might want to look into Craigslist ads offering short term work, paid in cash under the table so not to threaten their SSI.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing and when the arthritis in my hip acts up I use my cane, but I'm not interested in the demeaning nature of your stunt.

oaklander
03-24-2011, 9:07 PM
Captain Neon,

It's not a "stunt" - when you see why we want a diverse crowd, you will understand. We do not do "stunts."

You need to spend more time around here and understand what we are doing (and have done) before you come into a thread and post a silly rant like you just did.

You are not making friends, and I am wasting my time replying to you.

SO - read more - and talk less - until you understand things better.

ETA: I think you are so disconnected from the truth that you are not even aware that many of the people in the pro-gun movement in California are themselves persons with disabilities, and/or people who have family members who are disabled. Seriously, I would say "STFU" - but that would be rude. So instead, I am just going to repeat - read more and talk less.

If its that important to have "pity me" disabled people, why not hire actors and rent some wheelchairs? Why not put yourself in a wheelchair?

You could pitch this as a temp job to the folks at the Braille Institute but I have a feeling they'd throw you out of the building.

Want to try recruiting deaf people? Too bad there is no way you are going to get past the receptionist at the Greater LA Council on Deafness. You can pretty much expect the same outcome at the CSUN National Center on Deafness.

I know a wheel mobile lesbian, and I can tell you there is no way she'd let herself be used for whatever it is you're planning.

The unemployment rate for disabled folks is pretty high, you might want to look into Craigslist ads offering short term work, paid in cash under the table so not to threaten their SSI.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing and when the arthritis in my hip acts up I use my cane, but I'm not interested in the demeaning nature of your stunt.

dantodd
03-24-2011, 9:27 PM
You should have that rice-paper thin skin checked. Use lots if sunscreen too.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about wrt what we do and who we are. We have a very big tent and all are welcome and we all try to contribute in whatever ways we can. Please stick around and look for opportunities where you are comfortable contributing.

N6ATF
03-25-2011, 12:32 AM

DJ5r3oNFVeE

SierraApril
03-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Hahaha!! This is perfect! I have never laughed so hard at a post!! I actually called someone over, gave them the backstory on this thread and then showed them this. We can't stop laughing!!

DJ5r3oNFVeE

jdberger
03-25-2011, 2:09 AM

Please allow me to apologize. I realize that my poorly worded original post has been misconstrued by some.

Please let me explain.

In the past, public events that we've hosted/organized have been criticized due to a percieved "lack of diversity". It's true. Most gun owners are heterosexual white males. Those are also the folks that (for the most part) show up to events.

We've been working on expanding our reach and diversifying our public image. We march with the Pink Pistols in Pride Parades. We actively recruit women into the shooting sports. Activists encourage their wives/girlfriends to attend events. We've a large Asian/Pacific Islander population represented among gun owners. Latino/Hispanic, too. One of the plaintiff's in the Pena case is disabled.

There's also a rule regarding civil rights actions - that if you want to change someone's mind, you need to challenge their prejudices. For gun rights, we try to demonstrate that not all gun owners are pickup truck, flannel wearing, beer-bellied rednecks. (Actually, very few of us are)

So - in my characteristicly glib and non-diplomatic style, when I sought to encourage many non-stereotypical gun-owners/activists to attend this event, I sought to fully describe a non-stereotypical gun owner.

It was tongue in cheek.

I've no intention of "exploiting" anyone. I have no intention of demeaning anyone.

If I've hurt your feelings, I apologize. My request wasn't intended to be insensitive or mean-spirited.

oaklander
03-25-2011, 11:46 PM
I thought it was pretty funny!

What you were seeing in this thread was not "righteous outrage," but rather, circumstantial evidence that our public schools require additional funding - particularly in the English departments. . .

:)

It appears that "reading comprehension," as a subject of study, has been replaced by "political-correctness."

The results are entertaining, but somewhat of a waste of our time. . .

Please allow me to apologize. I realize that my poorly worded original post has been misconstrued by some.

Tanner68
03-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Reporting for duty sir.... I'm in.

oaklander
04-13-2011, 2:23 AM
Bump!

I know a little about this event - but I can't share yet. Just bumping so that JD gets any additional volunteers that he might require.

General rule - if you have to *think* about attending an event - that means that you NEED to attend it.

HowardW56
04-13-2011, 5:10 AM
I'm in. I'm not a minority or handicapped, though. I'm not a lesbian either but we share similar interests. :D

:rofl2:

sighere
04-13-2011, 5:51 AM
Ok, what's the latest on this?

SanPedroShooter
04-13-2011, 6:33 AM
I signed up to help on this one, and the specific details and location are FOUO/ Need to know for now. Get in touch with JDBERGER and he'll fill you in, its his party...

HowardW56
04-13-2011, 8:00 AM
OK, I'm willing, in LA, and curious...

sreiter
04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
pm me,i might be available depending how good i'm doing...perm disable (not wheel chair bound, but have handicap tags from it) from truck hitting me on my M/C.....plus i just had MAjOR spine surgery, so i'm i C-collar and i'm using a walker, or cane right now to be able to be mobil

Gray Peterson
04-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Because that would be a lie and it would be astroturfing, much akin to anti-gun school admins busing in kids to lobby for gun control. That's the tactics our enemies use, not us.

A little more reading/understanding and a little less Sheila Broflovski, OK?

ALSystems
04-14-2011, 2:22 AM

This is a weekend event.

Location is Los Angeles.

I'd like to make it depending on the exact date. I did make the last event in LA. ;)

Let me know when the details are worked out and the Secret Squirrels start talking.

mag360
04-14-2011, 7:25 AM
I know what this is! I must know the navajo code, or something.