PDA

View Full Version : My third and final AR build, first impressions on some of the parts

$P-Ritch$
03-21-2011, 9:37 PM
Hey All,

Well, this should be my last AR, for the time being at least. I am finally satisfied with my collection of handguns/rifles/shotguns and now just want to focus all my spare cash on ammo and training.

This is the first AR upper I've built. It was pretty easy after I got the right tools. I just had to have a gunsmith drill the taper pin holes on the frontsight block because I don't have a press or the jig needed.

Here's the specs:
UPPER
-Addax stripped upper receiver
-BCM gunfighter Mod 3 CH
-DD 16" midlength gov't profile chrome lined CHF barrel
-DD F marked front sight
-LMT barrel nut/delta ring/gas tube
-Larue BUIS
-Magpul Midlength handguards
-AAC Non-Suppressor Mount blackout muzzle brake
-Addax DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coated BCG

LOWER
-JD Calguns lower 2nd edition
-ACE ARUL stock with rifle spring/buffer
-DD LPK
-Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger
-Magpul MIAD with Solar Tactical Wrap
-Magpul BAD

Here's the pics:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0818.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0822.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0821.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0820.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0823.jpg

First Impressions on a few of the new parts:

Magpul handguards: I really like these a lot, especially for their price point. They are very comfortable and with the light mount rail they hold my surefire scout in the perfect position. They do have a slight rotational wobble to them, but they are way more solid than the mil style handguards I dealt with in the army.

AAC micro brake: I'm calling it a micro brake because the thing is very low profile. In the picturre you can see the crown of the barrel. The end of the brake extends only 5/8" past the crown. Now we just have to see how well it performs. I think it will be a noticeable reduction in recoil compared to a FH, but probably a little ways off compared to its two and three stage counterparts. Still, I'm really diggin how little it adds onto the OAL.

ARUL stock: This thing is awesome! It's lighter than any other stock setup I've used including a CTR. The LOP is perfect for me without the recoil pad, which adds almost a whole inch. Then I'm excited to see how soft the recoil pulse will be with a midlength gas system and rifle buffer/spring. The whole thing is rock solid, yet light as a feather.

LaRue BUIS: What can I say, it's larue. The thing is extremely rugged. I opted the extra money to get the same plane aperture. It's just a BUIS I don't need elevation changes. This way which ever aperture I use the hold overs/under will be the same. That will make it a lot easier for the steel at the three gun matches until I get my aimpoint micro, way down the road.

Super 3 Gun Trigger: This thing is definitely a "virtual single stage" as others have described. It has pretty much no take up and then an extremely light, crisp break with very little overtravel and minimal reset. I can't wait to try it on some controlled pairs, I imagine them being super quick. I don't have a trigger pull scale but it is just a hair heavier than the SSA-E but noticeably lighter than a standard SSA, If that helps at all.

DLC Bolt group: I know, I know, you don't need a chrome/treated bolt, just keep it lubed. Well, I wanted to try something different and wanted the free shipping addax was offering at the time. This thing is slick, literally. It's feels about the same as my chrome BCG in my addax GPU upper, but is jet black. It's probably a little darker than a phosphate BCG. It came with the enhanced extractor spring, black insert, and black o-ring. Also, addax even coated the firing pin, which I thought was a nice touch. Well, it was a few extra bucks on something unnecessary, but it's not like the lower coefficient of friction and increased lubricity is going to hurt anything. :)

That's all, I'll try to get out to shoot it on Thurs if the weather will cooperate. Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

Jon

KOTU
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
thats good looking... thanks for the great write-up on the parts

Jaxpire
03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
What did you use to paint the upper and lower with?

Reminds me of the HK USC grey.

BANG BANG
03-22-2011, 6:42 AM
looks great! I think I gotta go featureless on my AR

$P-Ritch$
03-22-2011, 6:53 AM
I used duracoat in "mortar gray."

Stainned
03-22-2011, 7:10 AM
I used duracoat in "mortar gray."

Looks great!

762.DEFENSE
03-22-2011, 8:56 AM
Looking good! I was thinking about going featureless myself with a hammer head grip myself.

evidens83
03-22-2011, 9:31 AM
Awesome build :thumbsup:

stix213
03-22-2011, 9:43 AM
"final AR build"

I call BS!

Good looking featureless build by the way.

Airrixd
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Loving that color! Great looking AR