PDA

View Full Version : $550 Garand on Gunbroker

VeryCoolCat
10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Its not matching, its beat up, but its really cheap.

Little sanding and you'll have urself a good shooter without the guilt of destroying history :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=58764775

stevie
10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Give it a few days the price will go up.. :eek: No not me, got enuff of them

docsmileyface
10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Wood and finish looks good, but the TE/ME makes it more in line with a field grade from CMP, which you can for $425. Add $100 dollars for a brand-new CMP walnut stock and your still saving money going through CMP.

VeryCoolCat
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Wood and finish looks good, but the TE/ME makes it more in line with a field grade from CMP, which you can for $425. Add $100 dollars for a brand-new CMP walnut stock and your still saving money going through CMP.

Plus shippin then you gotta wait anywhere from 2 weeks to like 3 months. This guy is local.

FatKatMatt
10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm going to build mine new. Get a new receiver from either Springfield or Lithgow, get a new barrel installed and headspaced from Citadel, and get a refinished parts kit. Grand total with DROS will be around $660.

docsmileyface
10-25-2006, 1:03 PM
Plus shippin then you gotta wait anywhere from 2 weeks to like 3 months. This guy is local.

I guess if you can't wait two weeks paying more money is alright, but right now turn around time on USGI M1 Field Grades is about that long, quicker for Greek returns. I got m Greek FG in about 9 days after sending out the packet, and it has TE/MW 2.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-25-2006, 1:04 PM
I'm going to build mine new. Get a new receiver from either Springfield or Lithgow

GOD NO!!!!!!!! do your self a favor... get a REAL GI Forged receiver from the CMP and have the rifle built up.........

FatKatMatt
10-25-2006, 2:55 PM
GOD NO!!!!!!!! do your self a favor... get a REAL GI Forged receiver from the CMP and have the rifle built up.........

Eh? What's wrong with the newer ones? But since you have so many damn Garands I figure i should listen to your advice :D

icormba
10-25-2006, 3:27 PM

a BIG RED +1 to that! :)

FatKatMatt
10-25-2006, 3:46 PM
What club do I have to join so I can buy stuff from the CMP? I have used the search feature and all the clubs are either JROTC or something not in my area. I live in Marin, BTW. Once I join I'll probabaly get one of the re-parked SA receivers.

NRAhighpowershooter
10-25-2006, 4:00 PM
You can either join the CRPA or your local rifle range (The CMP site has a liting of all CMP affiliated ranges in CA) OR join the Garand Collectors Association (cost is only $25 and you get quarterly 'magazines')

metalhead357
10-25-2006, 7:08 PM
Eh? What's wrong with the newer ones? But since you have so many damn Garands I figure i should listen to your advice :D

There WAS the springfield armory....not any more. Now there is a Springfield INC. Armory...not the same beast. Way too many issues from user's reports to buy a complete or even just buying a reciever. Cant say much about lith~ but if NRAHPS is saying avoid 'em I'd not only listen- I'd follow; he's taken our Garand matches 1st place titles what? 23 of the last 24 times?

RUN, dont walk to the CMP and buy one from them. Its a good program & you're getting d' real rather than a clone....and a poor clone at that. It IS well worth the wait & the process...and it allows you to get ammo pretty decently too:)

grammaton76
10-25-2006, 7:35 PM
OR join the Garand Collectors Association (cost is only $25 and you get quarterly 'magazines')

Got any links for the association?

finfan
10-25-2006, 7:41 PM
CMP!!! Just got a 06/44 USGI FG. Pleasantly surprised by it's condition,
a few dings, nice green gray park, if only it could talk!

GCA http://www.thegca.org/

The GCA quarterlys are an excellent source of info on the M1. Well worth the membership
fee.

TonyNorCal
10-25-2006, 7:58 PM
CMP is the way to go. For the 1000+ it would cost to get a 'new'* Springfield Armory Inc Garand you can get two field grades and have cash left over for ammo or dinners after an afternoon at the range with your buddies.

Personally I don't see the need for a new stock on a field grade Garand. It's a battle rifle and the dings on the stock give it that character. But if a new stock makes one happy they can be had fairly inexpensively. Field Grade bores have seen some use by they should still shoot just fine unless you need to win Camp Perry.

A modern Springfield Inc Garand has a cast receiver (as opposed to USGI forged) and from what I understand the rest of the parts are a mixture of new commercial cast and USGI. I've also heard the USGI parts aren't always in the best of shape. I wouldn't know, never owned one.

SA Inc makes some neat stuff...but they do seem to have a spotty reputation for quality control...a fair number of M1A people have issues. Older M1As seem to have fewer...probably because they had more USGI parts. Modern casting seems fairly sound...but it seems that casting a part which was originally designed/meant to be forged is asking for issues.

Personally I think 425 for a CMP Garand is about the best deal going on a California legal rifle today. People are going to be very sorry when CMP runs out and it's all over.:(

CMP also sells receivers at the bottom of this page...
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

I joined the Garand Collectors Association. 25 bucks a year and they submit your info directly to the CMP.

California Rifle and Pistol Association is also a CMP-affiliated club and they're 18 bucks a year.

metalhead357
10-25-2006, 10:18 PM
CMP is the way to go. For the 1000+ it would cost to get a 'new'* Springfield Armory Inc Garand you can get two field grades and have cash left over for ammo or dinners after an afternoon at the range with your buddies.

Personally I think 425 for a CMP Garand is about the best deal going on a California legal rifle today. People are going to be very sorry when CMP runs out and it's all over.:(

A---Friggin men all the way around all you said to which I might slighly only balk at the stock issue. I dont need or want a 'prissy'' stock but my luck with CMP stocks has run the gammut & I tend to refinish all of them in the long run. Not re-finish to Warbird's quality or Wenig's but will spend a weekend getting out some/most of the smaller dents and patch any major gouges, sand on down and go to town. I've tried several methods on Garands and others but personally love the 'easy' route of a couple layers of minwax dark walnut followed by INcreasing percentages of Tung oil (1st 50-50 with Mineral spirits then less and less Mineral all the way down to 100% Tung). IMO that tung definitely tuffins up the wood finish.

When CMP is done this time folks...they are done. Nothing in the pipeline right now or for the foreseeable future. End of another era. The O3's and 03A3's and most everything else too is gone gone gone. Get 'em while they last unless you do like buying pre-CMP owned guns for 3X what they got sold for..........

CALI-gula
10-26-2006, 1:38 AM

There are/were some exceptions to the new Springfield Armory Inc replica Garands; when Springfield Armory Inc first announced a few years ago that they would be remanufacturing "GI spec" Garands, I found out (and confirmed directly with the company) that the first 450 would be built on Italian made Breda forged Danish issue receivers Springfield Armory Inc had acquired to kick-off the run, and built with new GI parts, and some Springfield Armory Inc parts. These Breda receivers were excellent, with beautiful craftsmanship - looking at them, I had to agree, so I bought 2 !! After the 450 Breda receivers were used up, they then continued the run with the Springfield Armory Inc cast receivers.

Occasionally, you will see these Breda receiver Springfield Armory Inc Garands go up for sale - a few hundred dollars more than they sold for just a few years ago of course. I paid $825 each for mine, and people are now asking from $1100 to $1400 for them. :rolleyes:

Shortly after posting this, I found this example with many good photos, doing a google. The auction is over a year and a half old, but it is at least worth looking at the photos in the link:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=6608419

FatKatMatt
10-26-2006, 8:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'm relieved I posted my plans so I didn't buy a POS receiver. After I save up enough I'm thinking of putting a synthetic black stock and saving the original wood one. You know, for the Evil Black Rifle look :D

NRAhighpowershooter
10-26-2006, 3:48 PM
Got any links for the association?

http://www.garandcollector.org/

metalhead357
10-26-2006, 7:12 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm relieved I posted my plans so I didn't buy a POS receiver. After I save up enough I'm thinking of putting a synthetic black stock and saving the original wood one. You know, for the Evil Black Rifle look :D

CAN be done. Did one from a buy off HRA_HPS here in this thread:) IIRC it was Midway or Brownells and bought a DPMS synthetic stock. Tooks some fitting and it is TIGHT but that is ultimately what you DO want in a Garand stock. IIRC think I paid &80 or so for the stock.

Extrememly Glad we steeered ya' away from the Springfield INC ones