PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams Model 34

tangent
03-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello!
My friend recently received a Ted Williams Model 34 583.3402 as a gift and knows nothing about it. His birthday is coming up and I wanted to buy him a cheap scope or maybe a case for it(maybe both). Anyways I wanted to know if anyone has one handy or know anything about them. I wanted to know the overall length of it as well as they came drilled and tapped or possible with a built in scope base. I don't know what kind of scope mount to use. I have searched all over the internet for this sort of info and have had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bruceflinch
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Google is your friend!

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sears/rfrifles/index.html

There is a link to a guy at the bottom who is a High Standard expert. HS made the rifle.
The few pics I could find, shows what appears to be a pair of grooves a scope mount would clamp into. Hard to say for sure.

tangent
03-21-2011, 1:53 PM
I had found that page but unfortunately there is no manual for that gun there. I just emailed the guy you listed and hopefully I get a reply back. That website hasn't been updated in a year so I was hoping someone on calguns would know. There is very little information on this gun online. Please help!

tangent
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Anyone?

dfletcher
03-23-2011, 9:41 PM
Hello!
My friend recently received a Ted Williams Model 34 583.3402 as a gift and knows nothing about it. His birthday is coming up and I wanted to buy him a cheap scope or maybe a case for it(maybe both). Anyways I wanted to know if anyone has one handy or know anything about them. I wanted to know the overall length of it as well as they came drilled and tapped or possible with a built in scope base. I don't know what kind of scope mount to use. I have searched all over the internet for this sort of info and have had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is just a bit of guesswork, but the Ted Williams is (I think) a rebranded JC Higgins (and is much like the current Marlin 60) & I happen to have a JC Higgins 30.

Rifle length is just under 44".

So far as scoping, the receiver is probably grooved and takes 3/8" rimfire rings with a 1" scope tube. Midway will have them, I like the Weaver tip offs because they look and are "period correct" and work well, here's the page:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=10&categoryId=8589&categoryString=657***698***8582***

Regarding scopes, you can get an older Weaver or Bushnell off EBay to match the rifle's age, but think small. These are fairly small framed rifles and a big tube looks kind of odd, I think. An older Bushnell should run you about $30.00. You can also buy a new rimfire scope too.

Keep in mind there are 3/4" tubed rimfire scopes out there, these are usually plastic are very, very inexpensive - as low as $10.00. I'd say don't bother with them.

Izzy43
03-24-2011, 6:22 AM
Here is a nice small, inexpensive scope that is specifically for rimfire rifles.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Simmons-22-Mag-Scope/productDetail/Rimfire-Scopes/prod9999005272/cat100744

Cost is around $50 shipped to your door and it comes with rings to fit a 3/8" dovetail which I believe that rifle has. I recently purchased one of these and it is bright and clear for a scope at this price point. Mounted on a CZ UltraLux and after 500 rounds it is still holding zero. It has an Adjustable Objective which will focus from 15yds out to infinity. Many inexpensive scopes have their objective focused at 50 yds so shooting closer than that can cause parallax problems.

Whatever rings you get may have problems holding firm on that dovetail on that particular rifle. It is a common problem on Marlin Model 60 that is a similiar design. The rings tend to creep due to the semi-automatic action and the bolt slamming against the back of the receiver. A little blue loctite on the rings where they contact the dovetail usually cures the problem.

Nice of you to get a scope for your friend. Good luck on your choice.

tangent
03-24-2011, 8:01 AM
EThis is just a bit of guesswork, but the Ted Williams is (I think) a rebranded JC Higgins (and is much like the current Marlin 60) & I happen to have a JC Higgins 30.

Rifle length is just under 44".

So far as scoping, the receiver is probably grooved and takes 3/8" rimfire rings with a 1" scope tube. Midway will have them, I like the Weaver tip offs because they look and are "period correct" and work well, here's the page:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=10&categoryId=8589&categoryString=657***698***8582***

Regarding scopes, you can get an older Weaver or Bushnell off EBay to match the rifle's age, but think small. These are fairly small framed rifles and a big tube looks kind of odd, I think. An older Bushnell should run you about $30.00. You can also buy a new rimfire scope too.

Keep in mind there are 3/4" tubed rimfire scopes out there, these are usually plastic are very, very inexpensive - as low as $10.00. I'd say don't bother with them.
Everything I found researching on the internet suggests it was made by hi standard. Can anyone confirm that they have a 3/8" dovetail?

Izzy43
03-24-2011, 8:05 AM
E
Everything I found on rehearsal internet suggests it was made by hi standard. Can anyone confirm that they have a 3/8" dovetail?

You might want to go over to Rimfirecentral.com for answers to your questions. You have to become a member to post but no big deal as they is every kind of rimfire firearm forums over there and lots and lots of helpful folks. I would suggest starting in the Marlin sub-forum with your questions about the rifle. Someone there may steer you in the right direction.

dfletcher
03-24-2011, 8:44 AM
E
Everything I found on rehearsal internet suggests it was made by hi standard. Can anyone confirm that they have a 3/8" dovetail?

Not "dovetail" - 3/8" grooved receiver. If you ask about a 3/8" dovetail folks will think you're asking about a sight base.

Izzy43
03-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Not "dovetail" - 3/8" grooved receiver. If you ask about a 3/8" dovetail folks will think you're asking about a sight base.

Good catch. As you stated best to use the right terminology. Also I went over to rimfirecentral and only found one thread on the Ted Williams firearms and most posts were about shotguns. Couldn't find any info on the OP's rifle.

tangent
03-27-2011, 2:10 PM
Good catch. As you stated best to use the right terminology. Also I went over to rimfirecentral and only found one thread on the Ted Williams firearms and most posts were about shotguns. Couldn't find any info on the OP's rifle.

Yes I posted this on rfc and also emailed the "high standard expert" with no replies yet. Anyone own this gun or know anything about it?