PDA

View Full Version : $600 Semi Auto suggestions?

Markus
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm looking for a semi auto rifle that I can take pig hunting in Texas. I like the FAL look and same for the cetme but fals are about a grand or more without that ridiculous topfeeding system and I've never seen Cali legal cetme for sale. Ive given you an idea of what I like is there anything like that out there in that price range? The rifle on my mind at the moment is a M1 Garand from the cmp.

Jimmy310
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
.308 Saiga?

tomd1584
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Mini-30
Saiga .308
Mini-14 in 6.8 spc

SKSer
03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
3rd on the saiga .308, you could even install a pg on it

tomd1584
03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
you do also buy an SKS.

greasemonkey
03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
For $600 you can go to a Build Party near you and build("manufacture") your own 7.62 AK and buy 1,000 rds of ammo. Good for pig hunting. Fun. Cheap.

Find said build parties here in the Gunsmithing & How To (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=114) sub-forum.

CSACANNONEER
03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
A CMP Garand is going to shoot A LOT more precise than a Saiga will. At 200 yards, most Saigas tend to shoot 8"-12" groups. That is simply not good enough for me to take hunting. OTOH, a decent Garand is capable of 1moa or less. That would equate to about 2" groups at 200 yards.

BTW, I do not own a Garand. I do own a Saiga, a few AKs, several SKSs and a Ca legal featureless CETME. Personally, I'd rather hunt with a lever action or a bolt action though. Have you thought about a good lever action in .308? For $600, you should be able to find a decent Savage Model 99 with optics.

brianm767
03-21-2011, 11:43 AM
SKS
Saiga
Mini 30
Garand

thrillhouse700
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I just want someone to show me how to pig hunt :)

Saiga 308 is a nice gun, my buddy has one with a scope and we dialed it in 2 weeks ago. He has had one FTE but we think it was ammo related because 400 rounds later no problems. It is not a light gun but its not a 15lbs ar-10 either.

captbilly
03-21-2011, 11:58 AM
A CMP Garand is going to shoot A LOT more precise than a Saiga will. At 200 yards, most Saigas tend to shoot 8"-12" groups. That is simply not good enough for me to take hunting. OTOH, a decent Garand is capable of 1moa or less. That would equate to about 2" groups at 200 yards.

BTW, I do not own a Garand. I do own a Saiga, a few AKs, several SKSs and a Ca legal featureless CETME. Personally, I'd rather hunt with a lever action or a bolt action though. Have you thought about a good lever action in .308? For $600, you should be able to find a decent Savage Model 99 with optics.

It may well be true that a typical Garand can be tuned up to shoot MOA, but an "off the shelf" Garand will not shoot MOA. Some people claim that an AR-10/LR-308 will shoot MOA, and many will, but even that platform cannot guarantee such accuracy. I have seen good bolt action rifles, shooting handloads, that couldn't do MOA. To get an MOA capable semi auto you will need either; 1. A lot of luck, 2. A specially tuned M1A shooting carefully chosen ammo, or an AR style rifle shooting carefully chosen ammo. Even with a tuned M1A or a good AR style .308 you will need to find the right ammo and carefully sight and support the rifle. I have done some ammo tests over the past few months where the groups varied from 0.5 MOA (with HSM match ammo) to 3" with mil surplus or some cheap commercial ammo. Take a look at Sniper Central's site and see what kind of groups they are getting in their tests. These guys are using special highly accurate target/sniper bolt action rifles, and often get over MOA (and often less then MOA) in tests of high quality ammo.

CSACANNONEER
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
It may well be true that a typical Garand can be tuned up to shoot MOA, but an "off the shelf" Garand will not shoot MOA. Some people claim that an AR-10/LR-308 will shoot MOA, and many will, but even that platform cannot guarantee such accuracy. I have seen good bolt action rifles, shooting handloads, that couldn't do MOA. To get an MOA capable semi auto you will need either; 1. A lot of luck, 2. A specially tuned M1A shooting carefully chosen ammo, or an AR style rifle shooting carefully chosen ammo. Even with a tuned M1A or a good AR style .308 you will need to find the right ammo and carefully sight and support the rifle. I have done some ammo tests over the past few months where the groups varied from 0.5 MOA (with HSM match ammo) to 3" with mil surplus or some cheap commercial ammo. Take a look at Sniper Central's site and see what kind of groups they are getting in their tests. These guys are using special highly accurate target/sniper bolt action rifles, and often get over MOA (and often less then MOA) in tests of high quality ammo.

Well, will it shoot 2moa? Or, are you saying that a Garand will not give one any better precision than a Saiga will? BTW, groups which are measured using moa or any other method really have nothing to do with "accuracy". Groups show how "precise" a gun, ammo and the shooter can shoot. "Accuracy" is about all POI being centered around the POA. Nothing more.

Saigon1965
03-21-2011, 1:29 PM
What's the range are we taking pigs down at? I really don't think at 200 yards -

Markus
03-21-2011, 2:31 PM
Sub 100 yards usually in fact it should be rather close in less than 25 yards hence why followup shots are so important.

Saigon1965
03-21-2011, 2:39 PM
That's what am thinking - So why would we want to get a 200 yard gun for pigs -

I say an AK and a large caliber sidearm -

dieselpower
03-21-2011, 2:44 PM
Texas pig hunting... SKS with a cheap red dot, looks like a ATN long body RDS. Its not a C-More.
Yt2zx1LDaHQ