PDA

View Full Version : Reading for Legally Inclined and Regular Folk Involving 2A Litigation Strategy...

Gray Peterson
03-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Root and Branch
Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
By Rawn James, Jr. (http://www.bloomsburypress.com/books/catalog/root_and_branch_hc_067)

The stirring history of the legal fight to end segregation, and the unlikely partnership of legal pioneers Thurgood Marshall and Charles Hamilton Houston.

Although widely viewed as the beginning of the legal struggle to end segregation, the U.S. Supreme Court's decision Brown v. Board of Education was in fact the culmination of decades of legal challenges led by a band of lawyers intent on dismantling segregation one statute at a time. Root and Branch is the compelling story of the fiercely committed laywers that constructed the legal foundation for what we now call the civil rights movement.

Charles Hamilton Houston laid the groundwork, reinventing the law school at Howard University (where he taught a young, brash Thurgood Marshall) and becoming special counsel to the NAACP. Later Houston and Marshall traveled through the hostile South, looking for cases with which to dismantle America's long-systematized racism, often at great personal risk. The abstemious, buttoned-down Houston and the folksy, easygoing Marshall made an unlikely pair-but their accomplishments in bringing down Jim Crow made an unforgettable impact on U.S. legal history.

I read this book, and it's excellent. Most people can relate and understand how long of a challenge it was to bring down state segregation. Gives one perspective.....

Patrick-2
03-21-2011, 3:58 AM
I have not read this book but I added it to my list.

It took decades to knock down Jim Crow. It's easy to get impatient with the current raft of 2A cases out there and how 'slow' they are moving, but in all comparison they are moving quite fast.

A bit ironic when you think about it: nothing in anti-gun laws stops us from voting or going to school. Jim Crow should have been dismantled much faster. By comparison, our issue is much smaller yet it is moving much faster. Credit for that goes to the Civil Rights movement - they laid the tracks for the orderly and rapid evaluation of civil rights issues that we are riding.

Crom
03-21-2011, 8:53 AM
Thanks Gray. I picked it up new for $11.20 on Amazon for their bargain price! I look forward to reading it. It had two really great reviews. :)

FreshTapCoke
03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you for the recommendation, Gray. I was specifically looking for a book on this topic this weekend and picked it up last night in eBook format.

I couldn't find an actual quote or reference, but it has been reported that Robert Levy modeled the District of Columbia v. Heller case after Thurgood Marshall's work and Brown v. Board of Education

safewaysecurity
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Tag

madmike
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! It's on my list.

Gray Peterson
03-21-2011, 1:35 PM
Thank you for the recommendation, Gray. I was specifically looking for a book on this topic this weekend and picked it up last night in eBook format.

I couldn't find an actual quote or reference, but it has been reported that Robert Levy modeled the District of Columbia v. Heller case after Thurgood Marshall's work and Brown v. Board of Education

Well, it was Charles Hamilton Houston's work with Marshall, and Parker v. District of Columbia is more like the 1930's era with this....