PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Lined?

YourHuckleberry
03-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm getting pretty deep into the long range game and it's something I really want to spend time on and perfect it to the best of my ability (and wallet).
I recently picked up a .308 700P LTR 20" fluted barrel and to the best of my understanding I've got a barrel life of around 3k since it's not chrome lined. Do you concur? What am I looking at price-wise and life-wise of a chrome lined barrel? Any other benefits/drawbacks?
School me.
Thank you.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
The main drawback of a chrome lined barrel is less accuracy. It is much easier to make an accurate barrel if the barrel is not chrome lined. That's because there isn't really a way to get the chrome plating totally even in the bore. The military is willing to give up accuracy on service rifles because they feel that the benefits of extended barrel life and easier cleaning of chrome lined bores outweighs the drawbacks of accuracy loss. If you are going to be concentrating on long range shooting then you might appreciate the accuracy of non-chome lined barrels more.

Jpach
03-20-2011, 11:47 PM
308 is going to get at least 5K rounds. Dont worry about chrome lining for precision rigs. If you want long life without an effect on accuracy, you should look into melonite treated bbls.

YourHuckleberry
03-21-2011, 3:06 PM
Thanks fellas!

pyro3k2
03-21-2011, 4:19 PM
The only manf. (that i've heard of) that is able to chrome line a barrel without messing up the accuracy is FN. But if this is truely a precision rig then you should be looking into stainless steal barrels and need to accept that barrels and ammo are both consumables.